Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2009, 11:51 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
This is from Tuesday:

“An Elgin man shot his wife in the leg when she apparently startled him as she tried to get into bed early in the morning, police said Monday. Torrance Clarke, 39, of the 200 block of Elm Street shot his wife in the upper thigh around 5 a.m. Saturday, according to authorities, who said he told them he thought she was a burglar.”

Man shoots wife as she tried to get into bed -- chicagotribune.com
Well, I would say to Mr. Torrance that you can't cure stupid. That's as dumb as a hunter killing a fellow hunter because he heard something rustling around in the bushes and shot at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 12:53 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,868,329 times
Default why would anyone register gun in Chicago?

Seriously, why do it?

You pay 75 dollars per year and if you get caught without registration thet cite you with misdemeanor and take your gun.

Many of my friends used to pay registration fee but no longer do and just buy guns out of state and bring them here.

I do not do this as I have families with small kids living in my building.

Will I ever be able to legally have handgun in Chicago?

Old 03-20-2009, 01:02 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,428,820 times
Or the dad who shot his son because he thought he was a turkey.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:16 PM

527 posts, read 1,244,576 times
Humbolt, just get a shotgun.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:27 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,868,329 times
Default Shotgun

Manigault,

So does it cost me $75/year to register a shotgun? Shouldn't I just take my chances with the gun being confiscated and not pay the fee? A typical basic shotgun runs around $200-300.

If all they do is confiscate the gun and cite me with a misdemeanor am I not ahead financially just to take my chances?

I have been broken into a couple of times over the past year when I was not around. I cannot afford to have some neighborhood thug getting into my stuff and stealing a shotgun and then shooting himself and suing me.

Most of my friends with shotguns just don't bother to register them and take their chances. This is like 3 people in the Bucktown/Logan Square area.

Mangault, you are right about the banks not having security guards, though we do post token security guards at suburban locations immediately after a location is robbed, which stick around for a few weeks before they are removed.

In the city, it is very common to see armed security guards as well as in areas such as Oak Park and Evanston, which are very urban and have fairly high crime rates relative to their affluent populations.

I think another part of banks not posting armed security guards is that we are just cheap with branches becoming shells of what they once were. ATMs and online banking are slowly but surely making most visits to the branch unnecessary. As such, we have drastically reduced staff, particularly tellers and branch personnel.

Lenniel is right too. With guards posted at every location, you would have very few suburban bank robberies, but banks have decided they would rather skimp on security and risk being robbed than staffing up to pay for guards.

Besides, most suburban branches only have $500K in deposits, $250K for the ATM machine and $250K for the branch (we call $250K lots of money bricks, btw). It just isn't worth robbing an armed branch.

If you want to really score big rob a Brinks or Loomis truck, that often carry $2-3MM in cash, which deliver the "bricks" to the branches and ATMs. That is where the money (and armed guards) is.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:30 PM

um. mine is not registered. Wasn't even aware of registration rules.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:32 PM

Default eck

Why rob USA when you can rob Canada just a few hundred miles away. I mean I'm just saying, if you're gunna do it anyways don't do it here. I would say don't do it at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Manigault,

So does it cost me $75/year to register a shotgun? Shouldn't I just take my chances with the gun being confiscated and not pay the fee? A typical basic shotgun runs around $200-300.

If all they do is confiscate the gun and cite me with a misdemeanor am I not ahead financially just to take my chances?

I have been broken into a couple of times over the past year when I was not around. I cannot afford to have some neighborhood thug getting into my stuff and stealing a shotgun and then shooting himself and suing me.

Most of my friends with shotguns just don't bother to register them and take their chances. This is like 3 people in the Bucktown/Logan Square area.

Mangault, you are right about the banks not having security guards, though we do post token security guards at suburban locations immediately after a location is robbed, which stick around for a few weeks before they are removed.

In the city, it is very common to see armed security guards as well as in areas such as Oak Park and Evanston, which are very urban and have fairly high crime rates relative to their affluent populations.

I think another part of banks not posting armed security guards is that we are just cheap with branches becoming shells of what they once were. ATMs and online banking are slowly but surely making most visits to the branch unnecessary. As such, we have drastically reduced staff, particularly tellers and branch personnel.

Lenniel is right too. With guards posted at every location, you would have very few suburban bank robberies, but banks have decided they would rather skimp on security and risk being robbed than staffing up to pay for guards.

Besides, most suburban branches only have $500K in deposits, $250K for the ATM machine and $250K for the branch (we call $250K lots of money bricks, btw). It just isn't worth robbing an armed branch.

If you want to really score big rob a Brinks or Loomis truck, that often carry $2-3MM in cash, which deliver the "bricks" to the branches and ATMs. That is where the money (and armed guards) is.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:45 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,360 times
I'm afraid to ask, but what does it take to get a concealed carry permit in Chi-town?

Some quality time under Daley's desk?

Old 03-20-2009, 03:06 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I don't care if guns are unlikely to prevent a mugging or more likely to be used for suicide than crime prevention. For one thing such statistics don't apply to individuals and don't mean that I'm more likely to kill myself or less able to prevent myself being mugged.

I think that as an American it's my right to goi about armed. I'm sick and tired of my rights being held hostage because local government is unable to control, intimidate and punish social misfits and criminals.

As an aside I think this gun control nonsense has done a great deal to harm liberalism. REAL liberalism is based on economic issues and this namby-pampy, wimpy social liberalism (which is also safe liberalism because it doesn't threaten the wealthy and powerful; you'll never see the Pinkertons unleashed on gun control or Gay rights advocates----no big money involved) has driven many people with a stake in economic liberalism away from liberal politics.
I always felt Tom that America NEEDS a 'Labor Party', one that's 'sole' purpose is to protect the rights of American workers and defend their beliefs. Too many elected Democrats act and vote like Republicans now. And your right, it all gets thrown into one 'party'. Alot of Democrats will vote for Ruplicans just cause of gun laws.....

Even Bill Clinton did things to hurt the 'labor movement' in this country. He extended NAFTA, which Hilary tried back tracking and saying that she didn't agree with his decision to do that.... Ya, right, they will say ANYTHING to get elected!

Old 03-20-2009, 06:45 PM

968 posts, read 2,664,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
I'm afraid to ask, but what does it take to get a concealed carry permit in Chi-town?

Some quality time under Daley's desk?
Simple..nothing ... they don't exist in IL !! There's pending legislation for a concealed carry bill in Springfield..Actually, there are a few ways :

1.) Get hired by a Police Department or Federal Law Enforcement or Investigative Agency
2.) Be a retired member of above ( Although Daley has stated he's not sure about respecting that ..)

Don't know of any other ways to legally carry concealed in Illinois . Oh, another thing ..Unlawful Use of a Weapon is a felony in Illinois, not a misdemeanor ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago