Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 01:44 PM

131 posts, read 356,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west lawn kid View Post
Sure you just keep thinkig that, race isn't a way to dehuminize we are all people justdiffrent kinds of people with diffrent slightly diffrent traits(just ike dogs), race it's a heriditary physical diffrence between groups of people from certain places.
sure, but those differences are skin deep which is his point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 01:48 PM

440 posts, read 1,502,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Oh Ok. But according to the history, Wicker Park and Bucktown was populated by Polish and Germans along with a large amount of Puerto Ricans before it became a artist/music neigborhood.
Wicker Park and Logan Square were mostly Polish up until the late 60's/early 70's, at which time they became primarily Hispanic and mostly Puerto Rican. Division/Ashland had already been mostly Puerto Rican for years, and Wicer Park gradualy became an extension of it.

Throughout the 70's, as the Puerto Ricans moved out of the DePaul area and Armitage/Halsted, a lot went to Logan Square and Wicker Park, and they, in turn, displaced the Polish farther up Milwaukee.

The first attempts to gentrify Wicker Park began in the period 1974-78, when an outfit called "Easy Life Realty" started trying to market it as the "Next Lincoln Park". They didn't get very far. They were accused of strong-arm tactics, specifically "sell or we'll sick the city on you" block-busting type tactics, and drew a lot of negative publicity in the process. The real reason they failed, though, is that there just weren't enough young professionals wanting to live in the city willing to put up the necessary cash on what at the time looked like a highly speculative investment. Especially with Bikerdyke plunking subsidized housing into every available empty lot. Most chose instead to stick to the "good" neighborhoods, assured that their property values were safe and secure. Sound familiar? Some things NEVER change. LOL.

But others do. Things really started to turn around when Nick's moved from Armitage/Halsted to the Artful Doger's space on Milwaukee (AD in turn moved to Wabansia), instantly putting Wicker Park firmly on the radar of Yuppiedom. By 1991, I was made painfully aware of the fact that Wicker Park had totally arrived when my DePaul art student tenants opted not to renew because they wanted to move to the happening place, and asked me (with a straight face, LOL) if I'd ever heard of Evergreen and Damen.

The rest, as they say, is history. Wicker Park hit critical mass for gentrification in the period 1986-1990, NOT in the 90's as some maintain. The rents remained cheap until the mid 90's, which is what drew the artists, but in truth it was on the radar screen of a much more affluent demographic long before that: real estate speculators. Its ascendance into the Yuppie World was neither coincidence nor accidental. Rather, the fruition of Easy Life's original, 1976 vision - "The Next Lincoln Park". It just took a little longer than expected.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:50 PM

161 posts, read 389,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebergsyndrome View Post
sure, but those differences are skin deep which is his point.
Skin color isn't really a good inicator of race, its more of skeletal structure and other physical diffrences and psycological charateristics.

Last edited by west lawn kid; 03-19-2009 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: grammer

Old 03-19-2009, 02:11 PM

414 posts, read 884,622 times
My point is that each of the 'races' are like families in a village. They all look and act in subtly different ways but they all come from essentially the same origin. The fact is that the DNA between the 'races' correlates poorly to visual differences, hence these subtle differences are not enough to distinguish a different race (in biology race=subspecies). Race as we use it today is a social label that is linked by linguistic, cultural, ancestral, and national or regional ties. Racism is an affront against your neighbor and distant kin. It is the oldest of all family feuds and I think it is time to start thinking about our problems as one race of people (which, honestly, I don't think I will see in my lifetime nor will my grandchildren, and I'm nearly 24).

Old 03-19-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMonk View Post
My point is that each of the 'races' are like families in a village. They all look and act in subtly different ways but they all come from essentially the same origin. The fact is that the DNA between the 'races' correlates poorly to visual differences, hence these subtle differences are not enough to distinguish a different race (in biology race=subspecies). Race as we use it today is a social label that is linked by linguistic, cultural, ancestral, and national or regional ties. Racism is an affront against your neighbor and distant kin. It is the oldest of all family feuds and I think it is time to start thinking about our problems as one race of people (which, honestly, I don't think I will see in my lifetime nor will my grandchildren, and I'm nearly 24).
your right but the hatred of other groups of people caused compitition between them and caused these great thing we use every day.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west lawn kid View Post
your right but the hatred of other groups of people caused compitition between them and caused these great thing we use every day.
Your referring to technology? Really? You think murder, hatred, war and death is all worth these shiny useless things?

Besides, you are assuming that hatred is the only possible drive for human innovation. I agree, history shows it is the fastest catalyst for discovery but it is foolish to assume that people don't pursue knowledge for knowledge's sake. Sir Isaac Newton wasn't trying to bring hate to people when he developed mechanics. He said that he wanted to know God better by understanding his creation.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:35 PM

actually if it wasn't for all this technology there would likly never be enough people to die i WW2 alone, humans are driven by our compititive sprit weather you like it or not, and yes some people creat for good but the funding for creating is usually more avalible when were out fighting, thats life, and death.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:38 PM

131 posts, read 356,222 times
west lawn kid, download Mozilla Firefox. It comes with a built in spellchecker!

Old 03-19-2009, 02:41 PM

Competitive spirit and hatred are different.

EDIT: Why does it matter if there were so many people? I hate to go down this road but I just think some of us are lagging behind in evolution. People who cling to competition so much so that it breeds hatred are closer to mindless animals than sentient beings.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebergsyndrome View Post
west lawn kid, download Mozilla Firefox. It comes with a built in spellchecker!
Ok, sorry english ain't my first language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago