U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-29-2009, 04:26 PM
 
11,973 posts, read 28,969,123 times
Reputation: 4608

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
Go to NYC (Mannhattan), LA or San Fransico. There you'll see well dressed men.
You'd think so in NYC, and there are clearly many fashion mavens there. It is the center for fashion in the U.S., after all. But I was very disappointed when I went to the Met to see La Boheme in 2001, and there were several people wearing jeans. Sure, the club was there in the front row wearing their tuxedos, but the troglodytes in jeans just kind of cheapened the whole experience.

Even many Parisians are dressing down these days at the Opera Garnier. Not that I go to shows there often, but I have seen one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2009, 05:05 PM
 
Location: cape girardeau
893 posts, read 1,449,284 times
Reputation: 493
The entire "dress down" is in all aspects of life. Somethings will never change, outdated people will always dislike newer generations styles, ideas, and music. Even the banking industries have dressed down. If you want to wear a flipping jacket, then wear it....no one will say thank you, no one will care. If you want to dress like you just crawled out of bed, by all means, go for it. This isnt the roaring 20's, its a world that likes its comfort.

I go to a Catholic church wear plenty of people wear shorts and polo shirts, most of the congragation are Doctors and Teachers. Very rarily do you see someone in a suit. As a matter of fact, about the only people in suits in this city are Lawyers and Funeral Directors. I visit uptown Dallas and midtown Houston frequently and find its the same there as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2009, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Houston Texas
1,003 posts, read 2,255,813 times
Reputation: 244
I would never wear shorts to church nor would I let any of my children wear shorts.
BTW people do make judgments based on your appearances.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2009, 05:16 PM
 
Location: cape girardeau
893 posts, read 1,449,284 times
Reputation: 493
If anybody really cares about how others "judge" them, it tells me that they are overcompensating for something or shows materialism or both. Seriously, how could you even care what someone thought of your clothes, car, house, friends??? The only people I have ever met that thought that way, were those who wanted others to think they had class, but truly had no class at all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2009, 05:17 PM
 
1,437 posts, read 2,853,947 times
Reputation: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
You'd think so in NYC, and there are clearly many fashion mavens there. It is the center for fashion in the U.S., after all. But I was very disappointed when I went to the Met to see La Boheme in 2001, and there were several people wearing jeans. Sure, the club was there in the front row wearing their tuxedos, but the troglodytes in jeans just kind of cheapened the whole experience.

Even many Parisians are dressing down these days at the Opera Garnier. Not that I go to shows there often, but I have seen one.
I was just in Mannhattan thursday. I actually end up walking around for a long time cause of the way I was dressed. I looked clean, but I was wearing jeans, hooded sweatshirt, with a pair of black boots. The thing is, EVERY where I went, people were dressed up. I would have felt uncomfortable to sit down and eat in those restaurants. Even though it was late afternoon, I still felt underdressed.

The nabes I was walking around was Tribeca and Soho. Which are uppity nabes no doubt. But still, Chicago can't compare with NYC (atleast in Mannhattan) in terms of people who dress nice. A lot of guys in NYC might have jeans on, but they're also wearing nice shoes with them, a blazer or nice shirt. It ain't like they are running with jeans and sweatshirts and tennis shoes. Their look is a lot different, and much classier!

By the way, I end up dropping $29 bucs on 2 cheeseburgers, 1 20oz Coke, 1 cheese fries..... Mannhattan prices...... And it was just a place that you stand and eat outside! Nothing indoors, no chairs or booth, basically a take-out joint that serves you thru the window. They had countertops outside, which I ate on.

The place is called "Kool Bloo's". It was really good though, pricey but good. You're ever in downtown Mannhattan, try it out!...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2009, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Houston Texas
1,003 posts, read 2,255,813 times
Reputation: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko75 View Post
If anybody really cares about how others "judge" them, it tells me that they are overcompensating for something or shows materialism or both. Seriously, how could you even care what someone thought of your clothes, car, house, friends??? The only people I have ever met that thought that way, were those who wanted others to think they had class, but truly had no class at all.
I dont know if you are referring to my post but I never said I cared but it doesnt change the fact that people do judge by appereances.

I also never said I didnt care.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2009, 05:20 PM
 
4 posts, read 6,038 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
I would never wear shorts to church nor would I let any of my children wear shorts.
BTW people do make judgments based on your appearances.
I agree with you 100% on people shouldn't be wearing shorts to church. However, I do not let other dictate my life by judging me based my appearance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2009, 05:21 PM
 
Location: cape girardeau
893 posts, read 1,449,284 times
Reputation: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
I was just in Mannhattan thursday. I actually end up walking around for a long time cause of the way I was dressed. I looked clean, but I was wearing jeans, hooded sweatshirt, with a pair of black boots. The thing is, EVERY where I went, people were dressed up. I would have felt uncomfortable to sit down and eat in those restaurants. Even though it was late afternoon, I still felt underdressed.

The nabes I was walking around was Tribeca and Soho. Which are uppity nabes no doubt. But still, Chicago can't compare with NYC (atleast in Mannhattan) in terms of people who dress nice. A lot of guys in NYC might have jeans on, but they're also wearing nice shoes with them, a blazer or nice shirt. It ain't like they are running with jeans and sweatshirts and tennis shoes. Their look is a lot different, and much classier!

By the way, I end up dropping $29 bucs on 2 cheeseburgers, 1 20oz Coke, 1 cheese fries..... Mannhattan prices...... And it was just a place that you stand and eat outside! Nothing indoors, no chairs or booth, basically a take-out joint that serves you thru the window. They had countertops outside, which I ate on.

The place is called "Cool Bloo's". It was really good though, pricey but good. You're ever in downtown Mannhattan, try it out!...
Those jeans are $400 a pair too, lol.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2009, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Houston Texas
1,003 posts, read 2,255,813 times
Reputation: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonzo View Post
I agree with you 100% on people shouldn't be wearing shorts to church. However, I do not let other dictate my life by judging me based my appearance.
Thats pretty how much I feel.
I am not going to dress a certain way because of how someone might judge me.
I like to dress up because I like to nice and I have self respect.

I'm not saying people that dress like slobs don't have self respect but they obviously don't care about looking nice.
I guess someone could say that everyones definition of looking nice is different and this is true and thats why people tend to hang around people who are like them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2009, 05:27 PM
 
1,437 posts, read 2,853,947 times
Reputation: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko75 View Post
Those jeans are $400 a pair too, lol.
It's funny you said that. I was actually going to put that in a P.S. statement after I posted. Ya, those jeans they're wearing ain't Levi's. And those jeans that they wear do have a richer and cleaner look than a pair of Levi's or Lee's have. You can tell the difference between designer jeans and a pair of Levi's.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top