Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 09:15 AM

188 posts, read 604,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Perhaps. Ascertaining this is the point of the thread. I find it interesting to hear everyone's views.
Precisely why this thread was titled "Why doesn't anyone where a dinner jacket anymore" versus "Let's socially mandate jacket-wearing."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 12:05 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,065,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Exactly mutually agreed upon. Therefore, if you find the majority of folks to be outside what you deem socially acceptable then perhaps it is you who is outside of the social decision making process.
.......................... ..

Old 04-02-2009, 12:54 PM

67 posts, read 247,176 times
Ok - personally, if I'm going to an upscale restaurant, I'll probably wear something nice. Dinner jacket, sport coat, suit, whatever. But, if you are offended by people wearing hoodies to a restaurant, you are a sad, pathetic human being and should probably be more concerned about your own failure than others' attire.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:53 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,061,239 times
I've lived in four different countries and all of them have different social norms for dress. In none of them (U.S. included) does nobody except "sad, pathetic human beings" care at all. Social rules are important for a culture to be able to function. I think it is hypocritical to pass it off so easily as something that is too superficial to concern you.

In most bit cities in Central America for example it would in general be considered weird (if not rude) to wear shorts downtown. This is fine in the U.S., but in the U.S. it is considered boorish e.g. for a man to walk in the loop with no shirt on, or maybe to wear a white wife-beater to church, or a t-shirt to a job interview, or for a woman to wear a bikini top to a business luncheon.

These rules exist everywhere. They are always evolving, though, so it seems perfectly appropriate to ask what the current thinking is, for example, on the (apparently) dated custom of not dressing like a bum when going to a decent restaurant. I agree that these days people don't seem to think much of it, but I don't think it takes an especially small mind to ask the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoaklandish View Post
Ok - personally, if I'm going to an upscale restaurant, I'll probably wear something nice. Dinner jacket, sport coat, suit, whatever. But, if you are offended by people wearing hoodies to a restaurant, you are a sad, pathetic human being and should probably be more concerned about your own failure than others' attire.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:04 PM

188 posts, read 604,243 times
Quote:
I'm not offended. But I do personally think it's in poor taste.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:16 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,696,430 times
Quote:
But, if you are offended by people wearing hoodies to a restaurant, you are a sad, pathetic human being and should probably be more concerned about your own failure than others' attire.

People that accuse others of being sad, pathetic failures are often compensating for their own sad, pathetic failures.

And so it goes, round and round.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:28 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,706,763 times
Quote:
I disagree. If you are wearing a hoodie and baseball cap to a fine dining type of restaurant, you are not showing respect to the restaurant or other patrons. It is offensive. And tacky, low-class, tasteless, etc.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:04 PM

67 posts, read 247,176 times
Well, the restaurant has the option of not letting you in.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:12 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,424,207 times
Trash stinks

Old 04-02-2009, 07:46 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,972,488 times
Well, I know a lot of times people just get out from work/school and go to someplace to eat that's nearby.. sometimes a "higher class" restaurant.. yes, I agree, I'd prefer to look nice, but I don't think it should be taboo for people to dress in regular clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago