Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 05:23 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdev View Post

How many restaurants in Manhattan still require more than just jeans, let alone jackets?
Well Manhattan's in Will County and pretty low rent even by Joliet standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 10:34 AM

188 posts, read 605,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Al Baskin Co.: Owner of Mark Shale stores files for bankruptcy -- chicagotribune.com

Irv's menswear chain no longer suited for this economy -- chicagotribune.com

No one buys "dressy" clothes now...
I'm not suggesting that everyone should (or even could) go out and buy an expensive jacket. Hell, I'd advocate going to the Salvation Army and picking up an old corduroy blazer, or taking any old hand-me-down that, no doubt, fathers, grandfathers or uncles must have.

I just think that putting on a jacket gives whatever it is your doing (i.e. a night on the town) a sense of occasion. It says: I respect you and recognize that going out to dinner with you is special, not ordinary, and as such, I'm going to mark the occasion with my style of dress.

I'm not suggesting this is strictly a gender thing or an antiquated notion of chivalry. I would expect men to do the same when going out with a business partner, colleague or old friend. It's a social nicety, that's all, and I think it's odd that in a large city like Chicago only a small number of people seem to think this way.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:01 PM

968 posts, read 2,665,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binarybelle View Post
I'm not suggesting that everyone should (or even could) go out and buy an expensive jacket. Hell, I'd advocate going to the Salvation Army and picking up an old corduroy blazer, or taking any old hand-me-down that, no doubt, fathers, grandfathers or uncles must have.

I just think that putting on a jacket gives whatever it is your doing (i.e. a night on the town) a sense of occasion. It says: I respect you and recognize that going out to dinner with you is special, not ordinary, and as such, I'm going to mark the occasion with my style of dress.

I'm not suggesting this is strictly a gender thing or an antiquated notion of chivalry. I would expect men to do the same when going out with a business partner, colleague or old friend. It's a social nicety, that's all, and I think it's odd that in a large city like Chicago only a small number of people seem to think this way.
Or better yet, go to a 'jackets required' place for dinner and borrow one of the oversize plaid monstrosities they keep for gentlemen who 'forgot' theirs ...

Old 03-26-2009, 12:12 PM

188 posts, read 605,605 times
Quote:
Or better yet, go to a 'jackets required' place for dinner and borrow one of the oversize plaid monstrosities they keep for gentlemen who 'forgot' theirs ...
Haha, those are awesome. Talk about awkward!

Last edited by binarybelle; 03-26-2009 at 12:31 PM..

Old 03-26-2009, 03:09 PM

425 posts, read 1,436,856 times
I had a buddy visit me in Austin who wanted to go out to some of the clubs, but didn't have any leather shoes. Not only did he not believe me that he couldn't go out in sneakers, but it turns out he doesn't even own a pair of leather shoes. How do you get to be 22 years old without a pair of dress shoes? Seriously.

The one thing that makes me the most angry is people wearing sunglasses inside, even in the middle of a business conversation. When I used to work at an apartment complex people would come in all the time, spend 30 minutes inside with me, and wouldn't even take of their sunglasses until it was time to fill out the application. How rude can you be?

Old 03-26-2009, 03:25 PM

725 posts, read 1,849,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
And jerks that wear those goddam ballcaps indoors should have them stapled to their heads.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:25 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Yeah I will start wearing a dinner jacket all the time when women are required to wear mini skirts and low-cut cleavage baring blouses to all restaurants.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:49 PM

968 posts, read 2,665,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Yeah I will start wearing a dinner jacket all the time when women are required to wear mini skirts and low-cut cleavage baring blouses to all restaurants.
Hmmm . a 'cleavage and Mini-skirt required' restaurant ..not a bad idea ... and provide the proper outfit to those that 'forgot' .... Yeah, that's the next big thing ...!!

Old 03-26-2009, 07:54 PM

507 posts, read 2,061,843 times
Fall/Winter, I understand; but July on a 90-90 day in Chicago, what dingbat would wear a dinner jacket?

Old 03-26-2009, 08:02 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,429,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br7or13 View Post
Fall/Winter, I understand; but July on a 90-90 day in Chicago, what dingbat would wear a dinner jacket?
Thats why they make lightweight blend jackets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago