Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 6,428 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the University Commons buildings in University Village and am moving to Moffat and Western in a couple months. I am just wondering if anyone has any input as far as the crime rate in the new area. It looks like that is technically considered Humboldt Park area, but is on the border of Bucktown and sort of Logan Square. I feel very safe in the University Village neighborhood and understand that the two areas are very different. I have spent some time in the new area, since I have friends over there, but have never lived anywhere other than University Village, as I have only lived in Chicago just over a year now. I was looking at posts on this website and saw that Humboldt park looks like it is a pretty rough neighborhood. Am I far enough East and North that I will be pretty safe??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 11:18 AM

1,912 posts, read 5,443,343 times
that is the southern part of logan square on the border with bucktown. should be okay as long as you are observant and don't walk alone after midnight.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:06 PM

440 posts, read 1,501,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocs12 View Post
I currently live in the University Commons buildings in University Village and am moving to Moffat and Western in a couple months. I am just wondering if anyone has any input as far as the crime rate in the new area. It looks like that is technically considered Humboldt Park area, but is on the border of Bucktown and sort of Logan Square. I feel very safe in the University Village neighborhood and understand that the two areas are very different. I have spent some time in the new area, since I have friends over there, but have never lived anywhere other than University Village, as I have only lived in Chicago just over a year now. I was looking at posts on this website and saw that Humboldt park looks like it is a pretty rough neighborhood. Am I far enough East and North that I will be pretty safe??
I think only you can answer that question, because:

a. Safety is to a large degree subjective.
b. UCommons/UVillage is an uncommonly quiet area by Chicago standards, so just about anywhere else could seem crime-ridden in comparison if you are squeamish or uptight.

I would venture to guess that if you've been a regular at Jumping Bean or Skylark, and are comfortable on 18th Street, you won't feel terribly intimidated living on the fringes of Humboldt Park.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:02 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
I would live there without hesitation, but only you can know your tolerance for urban environments. I don;t think that area is any worse than most of WP/Bucktown but bad things happen and precautions should be taken.

Quote:
Am I far enough East and North that I will be pretty safe??
The answer to that is definitely yes. The only thing you have to answer is if it's safe enough for you.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:04 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,428,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I would live there without hesitation, but only you can know your tolerance for urban environments. I don;t think that area is any worse than most of WP/Bucktown but bad things happen and precautions should be taken.

The answer to that is definitely yes. The only thing you have to answer is if it's safe enough for you.
Would you live there alone?

Old 03-27-2009, 02:16 PM

Yeah -- I would stick to the busy streets after dark, I wouldn't walk around late by myself and I'd never walk around drunk by myself -- which are pretty much the precautions I'd take anywhere including most 'burbs-- but I'd live there.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
Would you live there alone?
I would think anyone would, even a single young woman. If you intend to go out to the bars you can feel relatively safe taking the bus or train at 9-10 pm, but most would probably catch a cab home, there're plenty in the area.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:43 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,428,820 times
Yeah, I was considering this area at one point but Ive been kind of scared away from it. My husband travels a lot sometimes months at a time so where ever we live I need to be comfortable being alone and walking to and from by myself.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
Yeah, I was considering this area at one point but Ive been kind of scared away from it. My husband travels a lot sometimes months at a time so where ever we live I need to be comfortable being alone and walking to and from by myself.
Myssa just be aware that the area the OP is talking about is not in Humboldt Park, just near it. If you are a first time city dweller I would not recommend this area. This is nowhere near the heart of Humboldt park which is south west of this area. I would not recommend that area for anyone.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:53 PM

Myssa, from a pure safety angle I don't think it's worth discounting -- there is a smaller buffer zone between you and the crime of Chicago's West Side but there is still some buffer, but it is less definitely less desirable. You're farther from the center of a neighborhood, kind of in that in-between area and Western is a busy road and not particularly attractive or filled with amenities (except car dealerships) -- added together those things might be enough to discount it if you have better options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: