U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 05:19 PM

414 posts, read 802,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
If people are allergic, having smoke blown in their faces - even outdoors - can cause headaches and other minor malladies.

Aw, now I get it. I didn't know fiberglass was added to chewing tobacco to make it absorb quicker. (kind of like Gold Schlagger? Lol. That stuff is lethal.) Well I wouldn't trust any Phillip Morris Add about health and tobacco anyways. I know this is off topic - but smoking marijuana is supposedly more harmful to lungs because it is unfiltered. Is this because of the actual plant or because it does not have additives like cigarettes?
Smoking anything will create tar that impedes normal lung function and can leave the lungs more susceptible to upper respiratory problems. Cannabis has a more dense biomass than dried out tobacco in cigarettes so it does produce more tar. However, studies have shown there is no significant link between THC or cannabis tar to lung cancer. It is likely, though I have no proof, that the industrial additives and radioactive material in cigarettes are what cause the majority of cancer cases related to smoking.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 05:25 PM

6,027 posts, read 14,173,969 times
I know this law will have no effect on me, but I'll add that I'm not too choked up over this.

as a kid, I was allergic to cigarette smoke. intense exposure to it could send me to the hospital (thankfully, very few people in my family smoke so I wasn't around it too much). I'm not allergic to it anymore, but the smell does make me nauseous. there's nothing worse than getting into an elevator w/ someone that just had a drag! I've had far less issues w/ people hearing nasty smelling/excessive perfumes than w/ smokers.

there are already studies being done on the effects of 3rd hand smoke, ie, the stinky residue left over of people's clothing and other items. yes, I know we are surrounded by all sorts of chemicals on any given day, but cigarette smoke is one of the major ones where we can reduce/eliminate the exposure just by either having people not smoke at all or smoke outdoors/away from people

I hate walking directly behind a smoker. if it was a windy day and I was constantly spitting and you were walking behind me and some of my spittle got into your face, you'd likely be upset. yet smokers don't seem to realize that people don't like having cigarette smoke being blown into their face. luckily, I can speed up to go pass that smoker and I know there's not much I can change about this, it's just a gripe of mine. I do however despise smokers who smoke right next to an entrance and force people to walk through a cloud of smoke just to enter or leave a building. thank god most places have a rule prohibiting this.

comparing car exhaust to cigarette smoke is silly since people need cars to travel to and from places. no one needs cigarettes.

not all smokers, but a lot of them are bad litterers. it's disgusting to see cigarette butts all over a sidewalk and I hate it when people toss out a lit butt from their car window. and who knows how many of these causally discarded butts have caused fires?

as much as I hate cigarettes, I don't think they should be illegal at all. not even sure it's possible to do so and will just spawn a underground black market. however, I see no issues w/ states taxing cigarettes and raising these taxes when needed. it's a luxury so get ready to pay extra to continue enjoying that luxury. there's already extra taxes and fees on bottle water, bottled sodas, and liquor. if any of these items get too expensive, you can always just quit buying them

Old 04-01-2009, 06:09 PM

414 posts, read 802,664 times
So you are ok with unchecked and unfair taxation because they already do it on other things? You know, soon there will be more taxes on everything as this whole carbon tax thing is taken out of control to line the pockets of, guess who, the bankers. When you are begging politicians to remove carbon taxes on the carbon imprint of meat and vegetables you will be wishing we didn't just roll over and let the government tax us to death.

While I feel empathy for your allergies it is unfair to target taxes at certain groups of people to benefit those not in that group. Though that is a battle I would never win it is an idealism of government I want to try to protect.

Now...I just need to impose a tax on people who plant flowers b/c every spring I come down with nosebleeds, burning eyes, closure of my trachea and fatigue. That should help pay for the allergy medicine I have to use.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:22 PM

6,027 posts, read 14,173,969 times
I'm okay w/ taxes on certain luxury goods, ESPECIALLY when those goods cause more harm than good (flowers release oxygen into the air and many are a food source for bees, so are already much better than cigs). no one needs cigarettes and if you feel you do, you'll just have to make do w/ the extra costs. now, in a perfect world, the extra revenue would directly help those who need it (who knows, maybe even create more stop smoking programs) but I realize it's not a perfect world so can't be positive the money from these extra costs will go to those who need it. but if the extra costs helps one person stop or reduce their smoking, it'd be worth it IMHO

Old 04-01-2009, 06:31 PM

281 posts, read 855,968 times
I don't smoke and I don't particularly like smoking, but this makes me mad. This is just gouging, pure, plain and simple. I don't care who it is: I don't like seeing people being gouged.

All the businesses and households in this country understand about cutting back, doing without and living within our means. Except the government. Double the income tax, triple the cigarette tax. Sell the parking meters to corporate sharks and quadruple the rates. Turn the expressways into electronic speed traps. All so they can gouge and gouge and gouge us some more.

And it's not for things that are important. It's so they can hire their idiot relatives for six-figure salaries and give themselves 20% raises and fund useless boondoogle programs run by cheats to get themselves support from special interests.

I'm sick to death of all of them. We need another revolution in this country.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:33 PM

3,047 posts, read 8,425,528 times
even though a revolution is about 30 years overdue, people today (americans) are too fat and lazy for that. plus, they have the attention span of a fly. they wouldn't be able to follow orders correctly. they'd be easy pickings.

seriously though, price gouging is allowed in all fields in America. especially, when it comes to oil and paying at the pump. so it makes sense they'd do it with the tobacco industry as well.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:53 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,256,276 times
I dont pay at the pump because I refuse to pump gas

Old 04-04-2009, 08:51 AM

281 posts, read 855,968 times
Price gouging is one thing. Tax gouging is very different. You can shop around for a better price, do without that product, or at least buy less of it. But taxes--as the old saw goes--are inevitable.
Every time government raises the tobacco taxes, they claim they will spend the money on health care, but do they? What did they do with the last cigarette tax hike? Went for other stuff.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:43 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,011,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
I dont pay at the pump because I refuse to pump gas
Move to Jersey instead of Chicago and you'll never have to pump again.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:02 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,256,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
Move to Jersey instead of Chicago and you'll never have to pump again.
Well there arent as many full service pumps here as there used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago