U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:44 PM

725 posts, read 1,704,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
If they TRULY wanted people to quit they'd outlaw cigarettes. But instead they are using peoples vices to line their pockets and further their sick agendas.
I already got slammed on another therad about smoking, but come on - sick agendas? Really? Paying for children to be able to get healthcare is a sick agenda???

I understand the idea about an unhealthy vice being used to fund healthcare seeming wrong, but to me it makes perfect sense. Smokers cost the healthcare system millions and millions of dollars each year. Let them pay back to society.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 10:35 PM

161 posts, read 356,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
I already got slammed on another therad about smoking, but come on - sick agendas? Really? Paying for children to be able to get healthcare is a sick agenda???

I understand the idea about an unhealthy vice being used to fund healthcare seeming wrong, but to me it makes perfect sense. Smokers cost the healthcare system millions and millions of dollars each year. Let them pay back to society.
that money never comes from me, i get my goods in the great state of Indiana, screw IL taxes

Old 03-30-2009, 10:48 PM

2,242 posts, read 5,753,642 times
Oh well.
Doesn't affect me.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:45 AM

4,015 posts, read 5,417,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Don't act the ninnyish old schoolmarm. Get used to the idea that there might actually be some unpleasantness in your life and there ain't a goddam thing you can do about it.
Not being a ninny schoolmarm (whatever that is), just saying that for the most part, smokers emit a foul and unpleasant odor. And thankfully, I don't have to do much about it, the government has done if for me by outlawing smoking indoors and taxing the hell out of cigarettes. That's about the only thing Chicago pols have done right.

Now, go back in your stinky apartment and puff away.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:48 AM

3,047 posts, read 8,412,904 times
smokers are really selfish people. as i walk the streets of chicago, nothing is worse than being behind a person smoking a Cancer stick and catching wind of that poisonous gas that they spew from their lungs.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:52 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,110,622 times
This makes all the sense in the world to me. If we're headed towards national health care (and we are), the tax gets some people to quit so they don't become government subsidized cancer cases in ten years. The ones who keep smoking? They get to foot more of the bill for their emphysema, heart disease, stroke, cancer, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, costs.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:55 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,712,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Now, go back in your stinky apartment and puff away.

I don't smoke save a cigar or two a week that I smoke outside or at Kaw Kaws. It's just that I despise self-righteous prigs like you who want to regulate the behavior of others for your own comfort. People like you are the new Puritans looking for a high horse to sit on so as to feel moral superiority over sinners.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
smokers are really selfish people. as i walk the streets of chicago, nothing is worse than being behind a person smoking a Cancer stick and catching wind of that poisonous gas that they spew from their lungs.

Nothing is worse? Nothing? If the most unpleasant thing that happens to you is being near a smoker you're leading WAY too sheltered and refined a life.

I guess it goes without saying you don't work in a powerhouse, refinery, foundry or slaughterhouse.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:05 AM

3,047 posts, read 8,412,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Nothing is worse? Nothing? If the most unpleasant thing that happens to you is being near a smoker you're leading WAY too sheltered and refined a life.

I guess it goes without saying you don't work in a powerhouse, refinery, foundry or slaughterhouse.
No, I'm too educated for that although I did work in a plastics factory to pay my way through school. I can tell you are a smoker. They really are selfish people. How very telling that you didn't address that point, TOM.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
No, I'm too educated for that although I did work in a plastics factory to pay my way through school. I can tell you are a smoker. They really are selfish people. How very telling that you didn't address that point, TOM.

Well actually there are educated people that work in powerhouses, fdoundrys, refineries etc. They're called ENGINEERS and MANAGERS. But your contempt for people that work in production comes through loud and clear.

As for selfishness, so what? Besides, I'm not the one telling other people what to do so that I can be more comfortable, that smacks of selfishness to me. I'm tolerant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago