U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-31-2009, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Chicago
4,676 posts, read 9,285,932 times
Reputation: 3140

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
lol Fact second hand smoke is hazardous to your health
Show me the study linking cancer to those poor souls who inhale diluted second hand smoke every few days while walking around.

Anyways, we've been through this discussion before. Glad I could contribute.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-31-2009, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Houston Texas
1,003 posts, read 2,254,134 times
Reputation: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Show me the study linking cancer to those poor souls who inhale diluted second hand smoke every few days while walking around.
FYI Cancer isn't the only hazard to your health
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2009, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Southeast Missouri
5,812 posts, read 17,388,237 times
Reputation: 3367
Right. Smoke is offensive to your nose. It's offensive to mine as well, but people have a right to smoke outside.

Some things may be offensive to your eyes and ears also. Cursing may be offensive to me, but you can't outlaw cursing. Yes, cursing won't kill me, but chances are, occasional second-hand smoke probably won't kill you anymore than french fries will.

Things I don't like to see/smell/hear:
Cigarette Smoke
Beer
Onions
Cursing
Most Rap/Country Music
Homeless People
Ugly people
Excessive PDA
Ditzy girls
Bad colors of clothing
People who insult my favorite sports teams

Let's outlaw all of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2009, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Houston Texas
1,003 posts, read 2,254,134 times
Reputation: 244
Smoke being offensive to your nose is only one issue.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2009, 12:58 PM
 
4,015 posts, read 5,420,241 times
Reputation: 3897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I don't smoke save a cigar or two a week that I smoke outside or at Kaw Kaws. It's just that I despise self-righteous prigs like you who want to regulate the behavior of others for your own comfort. People like you are the new Puritans looking for a high horse to sit on so as to feel moral superiority over sinners.
Hey, I didn't say you couldn't smoke, you can smoke yourself to death for all I care (and most will). All I'm saying, is don't pollute my right to clean and healthy air because you feel the need to ingest cancer causing chemicals and you don't care that you also infect those around you. That's why I say, in your house or your car, smoke 'em if you got 'em, just keep the smoke to yourself and change your clothes, chew some gum before you exit the smoke hole.
Oh yeh, I also expect you to pay more for your health insurance.

Finally, I'm all for a stogie on the golf course or a nice Cuban when I'm travelling the Caribbean. As for the skinny white sticks...yuck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2009, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Chicago
4,676 posts, read 9,285,932 times
Reputation: 3140
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Hey, I didn't say you couldn't smoke, you can smoke yourself to death for all I care (and most will). All I'm saying, is don't pollute my right to clean and healthy air because you feel the need to ingest cancer causing chemicals and you don't care that you also infect those around you. That's why I say, in your house or your car, smoke 'em if you got 'em, just keep the smoke to yourself and change your clothes, chew some gum before you exit the smoke hole.
Oh yeh, I also expect you to pay more for your health insurance.

Finally, I'm all for a stogie on the golf course or a nice Cuban when I'm travelling the Caribbean. As for the skinny white sticks...yuck!
Do you drive?

Should you have the ability to pollute my clean and healthy air because you feel the need to have your own personal automobile and not rely on public transit, as I do?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2009, 01:04 PM
 
1,251 posts, read 2,289,308 times
Reputation: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Finally, I'm all for a stogie on the golf course or a nice Cuban when I'm travelling the Caribbean. As for the skinny white sticks...yuck!
Isn't that a little hypocritical? I don't believe cigars are carcinogen free and have a definite stench. Make sure to carry a little bottle of febreeze in your pocket next time you light up one of those big brown things...yuck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2009, 01:08 PM
 
4,015 posts, read 5,420,241 times
Reputation: 3897
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Do you drive?

Should you have the ability to pollute my clean and healthy air because you feel the need to have your own personal automobile and not rely on public transit, as I do?
Yes, I drive a big gas guzzling SUV and I like to pull up to tree huggers driving a Prius with an Obama bumper sticker and I give them the bird and snicker. I then rev up my engine so my exhaust engulfs their Prius and then do a neutral drop so I spin my wheels.
But, at least I don't smoke :-)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2009, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Chicago
4,676 posts, read 9,285,932 times
Reputation: 3140
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Yes, I drive a big gas guzzling SUV and I like to pull up to tree huggers driving a Prius with an Obama bumper sticker and I give them the bird and snicker. I then rev up my engine so my exhaust engulfs their Prius and then do a neutral drop so I spin my wheels.
But, at least I don't smoke :-)
Cool. You're a winner.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2009, 01:51 PM
 
1,570 posts, read 1,790,035 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Right. Smoke is offensive to your nose. It's offensive to mine as well, but people have a right to smoke outside.

Some things may be offensive to your eyes and ears also. Cursing may be offensive to me, but you can't outlaw cursing. Yes, cursing won't kill me, but chances are, occasional second-hand smoke probably won't kill you anymore than french fries will.

Things I don't like to see/smell/hear:
Cigarette Smoke
Beer
Onions
Cursing
Most Rap/Country Music
Homeless People
Ugly people
Excessive PDA
Ditzy girls
Bad colors of clothing
People who insult my favorite sports teams

Let's outlaw all of it.
beauty is subjective.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top