U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:38 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,427,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Sorry but lots of things in this city stink. There's this awful sewer smell right at 6 corners in WP that makes me want to puke. There's a big pile of trash in front of a house in McKinley Park that smells like a dead hooker cooked some 3-week old salmon in bum pee.

If you don't like smells, move to the country.
I don't know if that's a good alternative. Dekalb in April and May smelled far worse than dead hookers in McKinley Park ever could.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 10:49 AM

725 posts, read 1,728,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMonk View Post
Plenty of people in this world are rude. Do we need to legislate against rudeness?
There are laws against certain types of rudeness. You can't go up to someone and smack them in the face. You can't make lots of noise after a certain hour in residential areas. But I don't think smoking should be made illegal - we are talking about taxing a product, not making an action illegal. If the government wants to put a high tax on tobacco products, I think that's fine.

Quote:
Sure, smoking adds to the national health care costs. Yet, we only investigate the effects of cigarettes and not the individual causes to health problems. Yes, Nicotine has negative side effects but smoking pure tobacco is not nearly as harmful as commercial cigarettes.
There are hundreds of studies about individual causes to health effects beyond smoking. Chewing tobacco has a higher risk of causing mouth cancer because of the direct contact to skin.

Quote:
What we should be doing is using sin taxes for making cigarettes less harmful and less addictive.
How about people who are worried about their health quit? But this isn't the point of the thread.

Arag - yes, the city smells - so can rural areas. The difference is that these odors are not caused by individuals who could avoid creating unpleasant smells which bother other people if they chose to.

This reminds me of the boy who was arrested for farting in class.
Student arrested for breaking wind in class - Windows Live

Old 04-01-2009, 10:59 AM

414 posts, read 815,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
There are laws against certain types of rudeness. You can't go up to someone and smack them in the face. You can't make lots of noise after a certain hour in residential areas. But I don't think smoking should be made illegal - we are talking about taxing a product, not making an action illegal. If the government wants to put a high tax on tobacco products, I think that's fine.
That is assault...more than being rude. And the noise disturbance effects people's lives in a very direct way and is more than just discomfort.

Quote:
There are hundreds of studies about individual causes to health effects beyond smoking. Chewing tobacco has a higher risk of causing mouth cancer because of the direct contact to skin.
Those studies you mention cover commercial tobacco products like Phillip Morris...they put fiberglass and other additives in their chew...its not just tobacco...also it is the same radioactive leaves

Quote:
How about people who are worried about their health quit? But this isn't the point of the thread.
And they should be able to quit by using programs paid for by the sin taxes on cigarettes. This is not what that money is used for now.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:09 AM

3,670 posts, read 8,137,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
My whole point is that some smoke in the air is hardly serious discomfort. You can tolerate it unless you've certain and specific serious health problems. You want to be mollycoddled.

I'll tolerate others habits and expect mine to be tolerated in return. Today we tolerate all sorts of sexual perversions, bastardy, street beggars, alchoholism, cell phones and fried eggs on hamburgers. Doesn't seem much of a stretch to tolerate smoking.
Does that mean I can cough in your face whenever I want?

Old 04-01-2009, 11:12 AM

148 posts, read 372,796 times
if anyone knows where to get them cheap in nw chicago let me know

Old 04-01-2009, 11:55 AM

725 posts, read 1,728,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMonk View Post
That is assault...more than being rude. And the noise disturbance effects people's lives in a very direct way and is more than just discomfort.
Noise pollution laws are created so that people do not disturb others. You don't get sick from noise pollution.

Quote:
Those studies you mention cover commercial tobacco products like Phillip Morris...they put fiberglass and other additives in their chew...its not just tobacco...also it is the same radioactive leaves.
Radioactive leaves? Fiberglass? Why would a tobacco company create studies showing this? I thought the research comment was made to say that research of other causes of health risks generally related to smoking haven't been explored (which I don't believe is true.)

Old 04-01-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Does that mean I can cough in your face whenever I want?
[avengerfire]Only if you promise to be that close to me whenever I want. [/avengerfire]

Old 04-01-2009, 12:10 PM

12,063 posts, read 29,575,555 times
I think his point was you can't study commercial cigarettes or chew made by companies such as Phillip Morris and extrapolate that to include all tobacco products that don't include those additives. You can't say tobacco causes this, this and this because few studies on simply tobacco have been done on humans.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:11 PM

3,670 posts, read 8,137,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
[avengerfire]Only if you promise to be that close to me whenever I want. [/avengerfire]
I don't know how I feel about you standing in for Avenger, jdiddy. I mean I like roleplay too, but I was hoping you'd be the pilot to my naughty flight attendant.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I don't know how I feel about you standing in for Avenger, jdiddy. I mean I like roleplay too, but I was hoping you'd be the pilot to my naughty flight attendant.
Well, I don't know how to fly, but my bedframe is shaped like a racecar. So maybe we can make this work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago