Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 12:53 PM

725 posts, read 1,849,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
As for selfishness, so what? Besides, I'm not the one telling other people what to do so that I can be more comfortable, that smacks of selfishness to me. I'm tolerant.
Your tolerance rings through loud and clear on your posts.

Not wanting to have smoke blown on you while you walk down the street is not selfish. Blowing smoke on someone as you walk down the street - selfish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 01:08 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,429,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Hey, I didn't say you couldn't smoke, you can smoke yourself to death for all I care (and most will). All I'm saying, is don't pollute my right to clean and healthy air because you feel the need to ingest cancer causing chemicals and you don't care that you also infect those around you. That's why I say, in your house or your car, smoke 'em if you got 'em, just keep the smoke to yourself and change your clothes, chew some gum before you exit the smoke hole.
Oh yeh, I also expect you to pay more for your health insurance.

Finally, I'm all for a stogie on the golf course or a nice Cuban when I'm travelling the Caribbean. As for the skinny white sticks...yuck!
That is kind of hypocritical.

On the other hand I actually enjoy the smell of cigars.

Basically we are all screwed and dying

Old 03-31-2009, 04:56 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
I already got slammed on another therad about smoking, but come on - sick agendas? Really? Paying for children to be able to get healthcare is a sick agenda???

I understand the idea about an unhealthy vice being used to fund healthcare seeming wrong, but to me it makes perfect sense. Smokers cost the healthcare system millions and millions of dollars each year. Let them pay back to society.
You are pretty nieve, especially considering you're from Chicago.

When the money gets to the government do you really think there is a special bank account for it labled "hospital expenses caused by smoking?!!" Wake up. It goes into a general fund and is used to grow new and existing wothless government programs.

We had a cigarette tax increase here in IA last year. Democrats swore up and down and left and right that the money would not go into the general fund. But low and behold they used the bad economy as their out, and they broke that rule. Now cigarette taxes pay for everything from your drivers license to teachers' incomes.

Now they want another raise this year.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
You are pretty nieve, especially considering you're from Chicago.
Do you mean naive?

Even if a fraction of the cigarette tax is used to fund anything that will help the government, alleviate tax payers - I'm all for this.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:27 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,559,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Right. Smoke is offensive to your nose. It's offensive to mine as well, but people have a right to smoke outside.
Got no problem with that, but I think littering laws should be more strictly enforced for dropping a cigarette butt. And certain outdoor places should be no-smoking zones (bus stops, for example).

Old 03-31-2009, 08:33 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
Smoking is disgusting and I hate when I am walking behind them and their disgusting puff cloud goes my way. Its not fun trying to dodge their smoke that they just blow all over the place with no regard to where it is going. I usually just hold my nose. I don't care if they see me either.

I just feel sorry for them when I see them huddled outside in their little smokers group puffing away. So weak.
Weak? Who is the one dodging a cloud while holding their precious nose? Sounds like you belong in Scottsdale, AZ, not Chicago.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:38 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times
Even though I probably should I'm old enough where I can't bring myself to get too worked up about someone smoking. When I was young people smoked everywhere -- airplanes, busses, offices, cars. It was normal and you didn't pay much attention. Not that I condone it at all but I honestly wouldn't even notice that there was smoke in my face unless someone pointed it out.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:09 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Even though I probably should I'm old enough where I can't bring myself to get too worked up about someone smoking. When I was young people smoked everywhere -- airplanes, busses, offices, cars. It was normal and you didn't pay much attention. Not that I condone it at all but I honestly wouldn't even notice that there was smoke in my face unless someone pointed it out.
I can definitely notice it. My throat closes and my sinuses hurt.

I hate cigarette smoke. I don't know why we have to be tolerant of someone else's habit-- it's personally invasive.

I don't protest someone's right to light up, but the minute I have to deal with it it isn't just their habit anymore... It's now an issue I have to deal with too, and it's not acceptable to me. They stink, especially in winter when it just clings to them.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I can definitely notice it. My throat closes and my sinuses hurt.

I hate cigarette smoke. I don't know why we have to be tolerant of someone else's habit-- it's personally invasive.

I don't protest someone's right to light up, but the minute I have to deal with it it isn't just their habit anymore... It's now an issue I have to deal with too, and it's not acceptable to me.
Exactly. You phrased it perfectly.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:28 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times
I don't think anyone disagrees with this. I just find it curious how a few molecules of cigarette make people double over wheezing and choking these days when years ago many people didn't seem to notice much when a plume was blown right in their face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
Exactly. You phrased it perfectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago