U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:26 PM

7,294 posts, read 14,120,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxdurden View Post
That depends on the school and the program. I am going back to grad school for public administration....Tuition per credit is like $550 and it comes out to like $15k a year...Besides, I am doing a night program and I am working in the day.....Generally how long do you think it'll take for me to get a job?
Impossible to say. I had a friend who just moved to Chicago and got a job within 2-3 weeks, but it totally depends on what you're looking to do. Sales... well, it's a bad time for sales. I just had a friend get laid off from a sales job. I doubt much hiring's going on.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 12:37 PM

75 posts, read 183,134 times
Well @ this moment - I am generally looking for anything in terms of sales/sales support, lead generation, marketing administration, administrative assistance, etc....I need something where I can make at least $30k a year...This way, it'll be enough to still save at least $500-$600 a month....Is the job market in the Chicago area generally that bad?

Old 04-01-2009, 12:41 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,283,963 times
Quote:
Well @ this moment - I am generally looking for anything in terms of sales/sales support, lead generation, marketing administration, administrative assistance, etc....I need something where I can make at least $30k a year...This way, it'll be enough to still save at least $500-$600 a month....Is the job market in the Chicago area generally that bad?
Big recession, these days. It's bad pretty much everywhere.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:07 PM

Bleh - that's too general....The recession is bad, but its not bad across the board. Washington D.C. has an unemployment level less than 5%. Florida is over 10%....It just depends on the industry and position.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:08 PM

3,658 posts, read 8,015,345 times
Jesus Christ almight, $26,000 a year? For Dupaul?

I went to UC for god's sake and it wan't that bad. Granted, money and debt were easdier to come by, but unless Dupaul has magically transformed itself into an amazing school I can't see paying that.

That's not a lot of money, not for a student. Those "misc" expenses will triple or even quadruple. I got by with little food, but rent nearly killed me and I was heavily involved in the social scene.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:11 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,283,963 times
Quote:
Bleh - that's too general....The recession is bad, but its not bad across the board. Washington D.C. has an unemployment level less than 5%. Florida is over 10%....It just depends on the industry and position.

Yeah. Chicago is not the capital for the Federal Government.

The Geography of a Recession - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com

The list of unemployed friends of mine is on the rise, not the decline. But people are still hiring. There is just a lot of competition out there.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Jesus Christ almight, $26,000 a year? For Dupaul?

I went to UC for god's sake and it wan't that bad. Granted, money and debt were easdier to come by, but unless Dupaul has magically transformed itself into an amazing school I can't see paying that.

That's not a lot of money, not for a student. Those "misc" expenses will triple or even quadruple. I got by with little food, but rent nearly killed me and I was heavily involved in the social scene.

DePaul is not that expensive depending on the school you attend. The School of Education, Liberal Arts, and Public Service comes out to about $550 per credit hour @ the graduate level. That's maybe a $100-$200 difference from the public level...Nonetheless, I am still debating -- I might be going to UIC, but it'll still be expensive for me because of out of state fees.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Yeah. Chicago is not the capital for the Federal Government.

The Geography of a Recession - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com

The list of unemployed friends for me is on the rise, not the decline. But people are still hiring. There is just a lot of competition out there.

Its definitely bad -- especially if you have no relative job experience; but the point I am trying to make is that Chicago is not Miami nor Los Angeles. It is a major economic center....Finding employment prospects in the 3rd largest city in the US should be quite easier and less challenging versus trying to find professional employment in a geographic area where spanish/portuguese/creole is a necessity to speak; tourism and hospitality-based/service jobs are dominant, and you have an overall lack of major corporations or fortune 1000s in the area. Miami's largest corporate brands here is Carnival Crusie Lines and Burger King...

Old 04-01-2009, 01:19 PM

12,063 posts, read 29,108,915 times
Well UC is 10k more than that -- their Web site says 36 without anything else. Add on living expenses, fees, books etc. and they estimate upwards of $50,000/year.

College tuition is out of control -- it's going up way faster than the rate of inflation. I started college in 2003 -- since then tuition at my university has gone up almost 25% -- this is a state school and in a state without a lot of major budget problems at that!

Old 04-01-2009, 01:33 PM

yeaaaahh...that's why I plan on getting financial aid, and not taking so many credit hours...I feel bad for undergrads. When I went to the University of Florida - tuition was about $75 per credit hour (this was around 2002)...I had a scholarship subsidized by floridian gamblers called "Bright Futures"...lol, what an oxymoron. 75% of my tuition was paid for and my parents only paid about $500 a semester for school. Also, housing was about $1700 per semester -- about $3400 a year for dorm fees...I had an allowance every week of about $100...My brother goes to USF (In Tampa) and unfortunately didn't get any type of scholarship funding and my parents dish out about a good $2000 a semester for tuition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago