U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 11:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxdurden View Post
My plan is to get a studio in the ballpark figure of about $490-$600 based off of what I see on the reader and then with internet, water, gas, electricity -- that can be an additional $200 -- I am going to say that's about $800 in rent/utilities...Then I factor in about $200 on food/groceries...I say this because I am on a strict diet and do not tend to deviate from it. Then another $200 for gas/EL...I am trying to avoid paying for parking by taking the train into the loop, etc...I think in total -- sticking to a budget of no more than $1700 multiplied by 6 months of living expenses is perfecto. That's about $10.2k -- I will probably have like $12k by the end of August...
Roger's Park is getting more and more expensive, because it's totally filled with Loyola students who's daddies are willing to pay a ridiculous amount for a pretty crappy apartment. If you're close to the red line though, it's not too scary. My boyfriend lives in RP in a 4 bedroom apartment and pays about $500/mo. Plus, a lot of places have unprotected internet, and you can steal, which is awesome. If you bring a car to Chicago, you're a huge idiot. HUGE. You think its not going to be that expensive, but until you're here, you don't know. I promise you, that car will be sold within the first two months you're here. Sell the car, take the money, and move to Chicago.

As for jobs, good luck because I've been applying to 10 jobs a week for the last three months, and not hearing so much as a phone call. And I've got a pretty good resume.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 11:44 PM

3,658 posts, read 8,020,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Well UC is 10k more than that -- their Web site says 36 without anything else. Add on living expenses, fees, books etc. and they estimate upwards of $50,000/year.

College tuition is out of control -- it's going up way faster than the rate of inflation. I started college in 2003 -- since then tuition at my university has gone up almost 25% -- this is a state school and in a state without a lot of major budget problems at that!
My god, I never paid more than $10k a semester

But I mean... It's the University of Chicago. I'd pay $50,000 or more to go there. It certainly paid itself off many, many times over for me.

Yet, Dupaul? Call me a snob but... no.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:55 PM

15,587 posts, read 24,558,695 times
You mean RuPaul don't you?

Best Gay Chicago: Chicago DJ Mark Picchiotti and RuPaul's Drag Race Winner's Tour / Absolut "Real Fruit" with America's Next Drag Superstar, Bebe Zahara Benet

Old 04-05-2009, 12:12 AM

3,658 posts, read 8,020,400 times
Oh I love RuPaul, she's an absolute blast at a party

Old 04-05-2009, 07:41 AM

75 posts, read 183,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownblondie View Post
Roger's Park is getting more and more expensive, because it's totally filled with Loyola students who's daddies are willing to pay a ridiculous amount for a pretty crappy apartment. If you're close to the red line though, it's not too scary. My boyfriend lives in RP in a 4 bedroom apartment and pays about $500/mo. Plus, a lot of places have unprotected internet, and you can steal, which is awesome. If you bring a car to Chicago, you're a huge idiot. HUGE. You think its not going to be that expensive, but until you're here, you don't know. I promise you, that car will be sold within the first two months you're here. Sell the car, take the money, and move to Chicago.

As for jobs, good luck because I've been applying to 10 jobs a week for the last three months, and not hearing so much as a phone call. And I've got a pretty good resume.
What type of jobs are you looking for? And also -- are you a recent college graduate or been on the market for a while? 10 jobs a week!?! That is not a lot!

Old 04-05-2009, 07:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxdurden View Post
What type of jobs are you looking for? And also -- are you a recent college graduate or been on the market for a while? 10 jobs a week!?! That is not a lot!
Um...aren't you the one looking for advice here? I'm annoyed at you. Stay in Miami.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:22 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,254,771 times
I cant comment on anything else but your food expense seems low.
We (2) spend 600-700 a month on food

From my experience Miami is more expensive. Last time I was in miami Spring 08 my husband ordered 2 drinks nothing fancy just a type of mojito and it cost us 35 bucks not including tip.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:25 PM

7,294 posts, read 14,130,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
I cant comment on anything else but your food expense seems low.
We (2) spend 600-700 a month on food
a) You're not in Chicago.
b) That's ridiculous. I mean, it's fully possible to spend that much a month, but it's not necessary. At that point it's a luxury. I highly doubt my girlfriend and I spend that, and we maintain separate households.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:31 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,254,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
a) You're not in Chicago.
b) That's ridiculous. I mean, it's fully possible to spend that much a month, but it's not necessary. At that point it's a luxury. I highly doubt my girlfriend and I spend that, and we maintain separate households.
ok fair enough
it is ridiculous to spend that much and we are suppose to be cutting back on what we spend but have yet to do so. I love to eat!

I doubt the cost of food in Chicago is less than the cost in Sh***port louisiana.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:36 PM

7,294 posts, read 14,130,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
ok fair enough
it is ridiculous to spend that much and we are suppose to be cutting back on what we spend but have yet to do so. I love to eat!

I doubt the cost of food in Chicago is less than the cost in Sh***port louisiana.
Well, folks doubt me on this all the time, but I'm visiting family in a small town in South Carolina, and we went grocery shopping today. I DEFINITELY paid more for almost every single item than I do in Chicago.

Furthermore, I love to eat too! But I have had to learn to eat out less. Thing is, I've learned to cook pretty excellent meals at home, and I actually prefer to do that than to eat out. It's a matter of personal preference, and you're certainly not WRONG for loving to eat out! It's just that once you start spending more on food than rent... you've entered the realm of "luxury" rather than "necessity".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago