U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:03 AM

2,242 posts, read 5,766,450 times

Advertisements

Never understood dog walkers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 10:16 AM

7,295 posts, read 14,157,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Never understood dog walkers.
No? That's because you don't have a job.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:04 AM

98 posts, read 323,904 times
i wouldn't worry so much about size but energy level that fits you. 8.5 hours is fine after they are trained. I have 2 1yo shar-peis and it has worked out wonderfully.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:09 AM

6,027 posts, read 14,188,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesterUnited View Post
That's why I was asking for breeders. I would guess there are some breeders of these "hybrid breeds" have at least few generations of dogs so they actually have some better idea of health concerns. As for being overpriced mutts, how do you think many of the well-known "pure breeds" came about?
I am more than well aware of how our current day breeds got started. it takes multiple generations of breeding until a mix breeds true enough to be consider a breed. none of these so-called hybrid breeds are close (labradoodles and cockerpoos are the closest but still years and years away from being a true breed). there aren't too many legit breeders breeding these hybrids dogs. if you think you've found one, I'd sit down w/ them and ask why they're breeding such dogs, what their ultimate goals are, what progress they've made, etc. also check the lineage. a cockerpoo, for example, is half cocker spaniel, half poodle. are the breeders breeding F2 litters that still retain most of the traits they're breeding for? what about F3? F4? or are they still stuck on F1?

too many breeders are just tossing together 2 cute breeds to create a 3rd cute breed and too many have the misguided assumption that breeding any breed of dog to a poodle or other hypoallergenic dog is guaranteed to produce a hypoallergenic dog (sadly not the case. check out shelters and rescues to see ho many of these "poo" dogs end up there b/c they still triggered allergic reactions)

Quote:
Can anyone else comment on this? I've raised dogs throughout my entire life, as has most of my family, and we've hardly ever had issues leaving them at home during a full-time job. Though, we've raised larger dogs. Is this a more realistic concern for smaller dogs?
I could never have left my Shih Tzu or Pomeranian alone for more than 8 hours w/o a potty break. I couldn't go more than 8 hours w/o a potty break! of course, all dogs are different and there may be dogs that can hold it longer than most, but it may be helpful the first few days/weeks to gauge your dog's capabilities.

I agree w/ aragx that some breeds/dogs are more active than others. too bad you wanted a smaller dog b/c I've always heard that greyhounds were the best apartment dogs. I'd avoid small terriers since most are more active than other dogs their size

Quote:
In my experience raising larger dogs it's only somewhat helpful to read books/websites on certain breeds. You can get a much better grasp of expectations from speaking to previous/current owners from a specific breeder.
true, but websites can give you a good start in choosing a breed, since you haven't decided yet. talking to a breeder or a breeder's past customers is usually one of the last steps. you still need to find a breed that will fit your lifestyle and do the research on it

if you choose to go to a legit, reputable breeder, that's cool, but don't underestimate the shelter dogs. both of my dogs were rescues and happened to be purebred and they were both excellent pets. there are also breed rescues in case you have a specific breed in mind

Old 04-02-2009, 11:55 AM

65 posts, read 134,342 times
Hi,
I don't understand why you want a dog if you don't have time to walk him during the day
training a dog to hold it during more than 6h is not a good thing
could you spend more than 8 hours without going to the bathroom?
dogs are like any other living beings and so their urinary tracts need to work well
if you want to keep your pet in good health as long as possible walk him every 5h during the day

Old 04-02-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
No? That's because you don't have a job.
What in the blue hell does that have to do with what I said?

Old 04-02-2009, 12:26 PM

7,295 posts, read 14,157,254 times
Quote:
People who work full time and also have dogs need someone to walk the dog when they're not around. It's not like dog walkers generally come pick the dog up and walk it while the owner stays home and plays tetris. It's a way to have your dog cared for while you work.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:38 PM

725 posts, read 1,708,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
if you choose to go to a legit, reputable breeder, that's cool, but don't underestimate the shelter dogs. both of my dogs were rescues and happened to be purebred and they were both excellent pets. there are also breed rescues in case you have a specific breed in mind
I have a mutt and she does just fine on her own for many hours. She's intelligent, has a great personality, and doesn't have the health problems associated with many purebreds. The breed rescue programs are great too. My neighbors foster labs and retrievers until they can be adopted.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:41 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,578,149 times
Quote:
Seriously?

Old 04-02-2009, 12:45 PM

Ever here of school, idiots?
I got time occupied time equal to a job..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: