Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:13 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times

Advertisements

Sooner or later Wrigley will meet its demise, sadly. Until then, LEAVE IT ALONE. Let us simpletons and purists enjoy it for what it is... a gorgeous park that reeks of history. Its rude and crude one minute and will take your breath away the next.

As for Carlos, he's a big mouth anyways, I wouldnt expect it from anyone BUT him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 08:30 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,557,672 times
Carlos wasn't complaining about the ballpark when he signed his $18 mil per year deal a couple years ago.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:42 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAI126 View Post
I got slammed good a while back for venturing the opinion that Wrigley Field is past its prime. Cub fans need to face the fact that Wrigley Field is both a dump of a dinosaur. A Cub fan on another board ventured as much when he posted this.

"I've been a Cubs fan my whole life, and I have to say, Wrigley Field is a dump. As someone who has already been to Wrigley plenty of times, I'd love to see a new stadium for the Cubs.

But looking from the perspective of someone who has never been there, I would be distraught if they got rid of it before I had gotten a chance to go.

I see both sides of the argument."

How can you rip such a sensible opinion? I think the whole Wrigley Field mystique is one of many burdens around the Cub organization that is preventing it from shaking off a century of frustration. Yes I'm a White Sox fan but I remember my long ago childhood when the rivalry was a lot more fun than it is today. Polarization is everywhere, not just in politics. It was great being a kid in a city with two major league teams, and yes I enjoyed my share of games in that old ball park. It's time for a new Wrigley Field, or whatever the Cubs and their fans might want to call it.
Sensible? Why not just tear down Holy Name Cathedral while you're at it?!? You must be one of those people who refuses to live in anything but new construction.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Sooner or later Wrigley will meet its demise, sadly. Until then, LEAVE IT ALONE.
Why not try a Fenway-style preservation? I read recently that they expect to squeeze another 60 years out of that place with the rennovations.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:59 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Wrigley Field ain't a bad place to put in a days work, there are worse places, believe me.

Especially when that days work is playing a game.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:10 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
I hate the cubs more than any other sports team but if they tear down Wrigley I would be extremely furious !!!!!!

Old 04-06-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I hate the cubs more than any other sports team but if they tear down Wrigley I would be extremely furious !!!!!!
As a father, that picture scares the hell out of me.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:50 AM

233 posts, read 701,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Sensible? Why not just tear down Holy Name Cathedral while you're at it?!? You must be one of those people who refuses to live in anything but new construction.
Actually I like very little that is modern. I don't care for hip hop, I prefer jazz and blues. Most of the movies I have in my collection are from the classic Hollywood era. History is my favorite subject. During my time in Chicago I lived mostly in a variety of older apartment buildings. I wonder why you tried to type cast me in a certain mold because I have the temerity to suggest that its time to replace Wrigley? I should have left it alone. To some it's like suggesting euthanasia for a loved one.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAI126 View Post
Actually I like very little that is modern. I don't care for hip hop, I prefer jazz and blues. Most of the movies I have in my collection are from the classic Hollywood era. History is my favorite subject. During my time in Chicago I lived mostly in a variety of older apartment buildings. I wonder why you tried to type cast me in a certain mold because I have the temerity to suggest that its time to replace Wrigley? I should have left it alone. To some it's like suggesting euthanasia for a loved one.
It was sort of a rhetorical comparison more than type casting. There really is no reason to tear down Wrigley Field at this time. They can build their wedge-shaped additionwest of the stadium as planned and rennovate the rest. Heck, even replacing parts of the stadium bit by bit would be better than just razing it (like they did with the bleachers a couple of years ago). I think the bleacher project is a success, except for the tacky Bud Light advertising.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:39 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,188 times
i don't see how he is a fool for this one. cub fans are forced to love him anyway because he represents a shining ray of hope. don't worry cub fans, the first 100 years are the hardest! LOL

seriously, though who would not want to play in a billion dollar stadium opposed to an old relic like museum that has falling concrete all over the place and too few bathrooms? Big Z is human afterall. He wants the best. And Wrigley is faaar from the best. He saw the best and now he wants it too. Can't blame the man for that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago