Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 05:48 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,417,573 times

Advertisements

Don't forget to always chew each bite 35 times and for the luvofgod put on your coat or you'll catch the death of cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 05:51 PM

16 posts, read 38,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatshername View Post
Hi

Im a 20 year old irish female who is thinking of moving to Chicago in late Sept/early Oct.

I will be coming on my own but will have a friend come in January(shes female also)

Firstly is there any areas in Chicago that have a lot of irish living there? That would probably be my port of call for a few weeks!

In terms of areas what would people recommend for a female? I will be looking to houseshare and my budget will be around $700 a month. Yes i have read the introductory post but still nice to get opinions.

In terms of jobs what are the prospects? I know this whole global economy crisis! I dont have a college degree so I would be looking for ordinary jobs...bartending, retail worker etc...

Hope someone can answer some questions!
Thanks!
Are there alot of Irish here? No! You almost never see one. That is if you are BLIND! Everybody here is Irish. The Mayor is Irish.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:08 PM

15 posts, read 35,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic View Post
I have to say that trying to find recent Irish immigrants in Chicago shouldn't be your priority. You should be working on finding a neighborhood that has the amenities you require, and is safe and appropriate for a young woman of any ethnicity who is new in town.

For example, this is quite a useful crime map:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._crime_map.png
Yes that is a good point but i would be interested in living in the irish neighbourhoods....if there safe...haha..

Thanks for the link.

Btw sorry avengerfire.....im not a big drinker.....hope that doesnt come as a shock....i know us irish have the drunken stereotype! (wrong for the majority of us i might add)

Old 04-08-2009, 07:59 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,427,270 times
Quote:
...Btw sorry avengerfire.....im not a big drinker.....hope that doesnt come as a shock....i know us irish have the drunken stereotype! (wrong for the majority of us i might add)
Well tell me what you like to do. I am flexible and hope you are as well.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:43 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,417,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post

Old 04-09-2009, 09:17 AM

15 posts, read 35,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
im guessing your an extremely friendly outgoing person in person! Very forward! haha

Like the pic surlycue!

Btw the info people are giving is useful so far....thanks keep it coming

Old 04-09-2009, 01:56 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,705,069 times
Quote:
im guessing your an extremely friendly outgoing person in person! Very forward! haha
Nah. He's just the Chicago forum's resident pervert.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:38 PM

393 posts, read 1,211,433 times
Quote:
Yes that is a good point but i would be interested in living in the irish neighbourhoods....if there safe...haha..

Thanks for the link.

Btw sorry avengerfire.....im not a big drinker.....hope that doesnt come as a shock....i know us irish have the drunken stereotype! (wrong for the majority of us i might add)
The Irish neighborhoods are the safe ones. Mt Greenwood is the best example of that. It's just that those Irish came over 100+ years ago.

Last edited by Intergalactic; 04-09-2009 at 04:48 PM..

Old 04-09-2009, 09:03 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,427,270 times
Quote:
im guessing your an extremely friendly outgoing person in person! Very forward! haha...
Well you will just have to see for yourself wont you?

Old 08-20-2009, 08:46 PM

8,275 posts, read 22,986,942 times
List of Irish-American communities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Irish of Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: