Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 09:18 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,975 times

Advertisements

MyssaTX - why do you post in the Chicago Section when you're from Houston? You looking to move to Chicago? There are lots of things to love in both of these cities! If it wasn't for hurricanes and expensive electricity and lame nightlife, I'd move permanently to Houston!

Last edited by aragx6; 04-10-2009 at 10:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 09:26 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Yeesh. Glad I gave up my car 7 years ago. It makes drinking a lot easier. Long live the margarita. MARGARITA

Old 04-09-2009, 09:28 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,661,496 times
[mod cut]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Yeesh. Glad I gave up my car 7 years ago. It makes drinking a lot easier. Long live the margarita. MARGARITA
MARGARITA!

Last edited by aragx6; 04-10-2009 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: references deleted post

Old 04-09-2009, 09:34 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,513,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
I have seen it! and it almost caused a wreck between me, the idiot that thought they should come to a complete stop while getting on 90/94 westbound at Randolph, and the person behind me. Not fun.
That's awful. Glad I haven't witnessed that - I'd lose it.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:58 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,687,832 times
And, as a transplant who drives....get over it....never in my life have I driven someplace like here! Now that I get it....it's cool

Old 04-10-2009, 04:38 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
We manage, with about as many people who can't do it as you'd expect.

Ohioans are the people who couldn't merge if their miserable souls depended on it.

It's one of those things you notice time after time.
The worst is Pittsburgh. The terrain in the area is very hilly and isn't not very accommodating the primitive highway engineering standards used at the time the area's highways were built. Consequently, many of their ramps are short and tight and are basically blind bends obscured by hillsides, such that at many of on-ramps you actually have to stop at the bottom of the ramp. In fact at one on-ramp onto the Parkway East you are actually required to stop. That's right, at the bottom of an on-ramp onto an interstate-grade expressway is a freaking stop sign. So this has conditioned the geniuses of Pittsburgh to stop at the bottom of every on-ramp, even the flat straight ones where the coast is clear. At least once a week I'd have use the shoulder to fly by some imbecile just sitting at the bottom of the ramp just so I'd have enough speed to merge. In fact the last doof I passed on a ramp back in 2006 is probably still sitting there.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:47 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
I have seen it! and it almost caused a wreck between me, the idiot that thought they should come to a complete stop while getting on 90/94 westbound at Randolph, and the person behind me. Not fun.
You almost have no choice on those short, tiny, useless left-lane on-ramps downtown. If you try to enter the traffic with any kind of speed, you'll never have enough time to look and see if you actually have enough clearance. Those ramps are completely awful.

ETA: OK I just looked at the Randolph ramp via satellite view... yeah, that one looks long enough that you shouldn't have to stop at the bottom.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:27 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You almost have no choice on those short, tiny, useless left-lane on-ramps downtown. If you try to enter the traffic with any kind of speed, you'll never have enough time to look and see if you actually have enough clearance. Those ramps are completely awful.

ETA: OK I just looked at the Randolph ramp via satellite view... yeah, that one looks long enough that you shouldn't have to stop at the bottom.
yeah, absolutely you do have to slow down on some of them, but not that one.

and Pittsburgh, I think i may have said this before, but the one time I did go there and stay for two days, I was afraid to leave my hotel because of the drivers and the chance of getting lost (like I did when I drove in). It's a nice city if you're not having to drive.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:40 AM

968 posts, read 2,665,690 times
very true about the downtown ramps , and a little further south the on ramp for one street is the end of the merge lane for the previous ramp.. locals kniow it, but a lot of the traffic is thru traffic from non-residents ..white knuckle fever.. There are traffic lights on some of the on ramps downtown to 'regulate' traffic ..

Re the Pittsburgh comment. My experiences on the PA turnpike show how far highway engineering has come. I particularly appreciate some of the on ramps from the older service plazas that basically shoot one right into the right lane with little time to accelerate. Fortunately, they're rebuilding a few of those ..

Old 04-10-2009, 10:56 AM

1,003 posts, read 2,429,433 times
I feel censored
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago