U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 08:44 AM

400 posts, read 873,996 times

Advertisements

Hi all--I have a friend driving in to visit me this week, but I haven't done much driving at all in Chicago since I moved to the city in February. I take transit almost everywhere, and am fairly clueless on driving here, save for my job in the northern suburbs. Not sure how to provide good directions..If someone is crossing in to the area via Indiana (tollway) and wants to get a great view of the city, is LSD the way to go? I'm living in Ravenswood/Lincoln Square, so all the mapquest or google results suggest taking 90/94 and getting off at Damen and shooting north that way. Would taking LSD add a lot on to commute time? She'll be coming in mid-day on Monday.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 09:16 AM

5,437 posts, read 10,337,829 times
The Skyway exit at 79th and Stoney to Lake Shore Drive at 67th is the best way to see the city. There are good directions on the signs and it is hard to get lost. I hope there will be more than one person in the car since this is the city and someone should be watching where the car is headed.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:44 PM

393 posts, read 1,148,630 times
Isn't the Skyway closed at the Indiana border? And it's Stony Island Avenue, not that I would suggest that route.

An alternative is to switch to (or stay on) I-80/94 while in Indiana, take the Bishop Ford (1-94) north, then exit onto Stony Island Avenue, and take it north through a few miles of "distressed" neighborhoods. When you get to 67th, a soft right will take you into the Olmsted-designed Jackson Park. Your goal is to navigate the curvy drives within the park to the Statue of the Republic here:
Google Maps <-- if they have GPS this would be so cool
Then proceed east on Hayes Drive to US-41 (the southern end of Lake Shore Drive) and go north on LSD.

If you lose your way in the park or bypass the turn, it is no big deal as long as you keep a general northward course. Soon you should arrive in the Hyde Park neighborhood, with the University of Chicago, Museum of Science and Industry, and Barack Obama's most recent stomping ground.
http://wikitravel.org/en/Chicago/South_Chicago_Shore

You can get onto LSD in Hyde Park, or do a little sightseeing there and then head north on LSD.

Last edited by Intergalactic; 04-11-2009 at 01:55 PM..

Old 04-11-2009, 02:55 PM

11,973 posts, read 30,062,734 times
The Skyway to Stony Island is definitely the way to go--not the Bishop Ford. Just don't get lost in Lawndale or Jackson Park, since both are crime-ridden. I did this drive a few weeks ago, and the Skyway was certainly open. If it were closed, I think more people would have heard about it. That would be a big deal.

If you're worried about driving through the South Side for a few blocks (it's no big deal, but you don't want to get lost), you can always just swing up the Dan Ryan Expressway (I-90/94 south of the Loop). The view of the skyline as you come from the south and get on to the Kennedy Expressway (I-90/94 north of the Loop) is actually quite stunning. And you're likely to be stuck in traffic for at least a little bit of time to take it all in.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:55 PM

Either way you have to go through "crime-ridden" areas (and prior to that some heavy industry). Jackson Park the park is safe enough. Shooting up Stony Island is educational, since the part between the Bishop Ford and 79th (the main difference between the alternatives) is much nicer-looking than the stretch from 79th to 67th.

And some people might like to avoid the high, high tolls of the Illinois part of the Skyway.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:05 PM

400 posts, read 873,996 times
Thanks for the advice, guys. Yeah, I want for her to enjoy the city, but I also just want her to get here safe and not freak her out too much. I'm hoping she'll move up here, so I'm trying to paint the best picture possible for her of beautiful Chicago. I think the extent of her city driving is pretty limited, so I'm trying to avoid confusing signage that might put her in a rough neighborhood. I know she'll fall head over heels for Chicago, once she's out on foot enjoying it. Just trying to not overwhelm her with the driving part!

Old 04-11-2009, 05:57 PM

Hmm, well then perhaps Skyway all the way to the Dan Ryan, then I-55 east to LSD? As long as there is no morning rush hour or convention traffic this is smooth sailing with minimal city street driving exposure.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:11 PM

3,631 posts, read 9,793,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic View Post
Hmm, well then perhaps Skyway all the way to the Dan Ryan, then I-55 east to LSD? As long as there is no morning rush hour or convention traffic this is smooth sailing with minimal city street driving exposure.
this is what I usually take when I'm coming from somewhere else. if it's a clear day or night, the view from the Skyway is pretty sweet.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:24 PM

5,437 posts, read 10,337,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic View Post
Either way you have to go through "crime-ridden" areas (and prior to that some heavy industry).
Stony Island from 103rd to 67th street? First, if you can steer straight you won't get lost. Bear right at 67th street. Second, the route is from the auto pound through Pill Hill and the border of South Shore. 'Crime ridden' is not a term of exactitude but one of art. Since that is a major route for the workers at the U of C, cops and firemen, I'd say that in the middle of the day its pretty safe.

Just don't try to turn left at 79th street. That's always unsafe.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:48 PM

41 posts, read 79,656 times
U.S.41 is Lake Shore Drive's route number. Sometimes, when coming from Michigan, and I just wanna take the scenic route, I take the LSD. The last exit on the Indiana Tollway, Exit 0, is U.S.41 Indianapolis Blvd. Once you exit, you'll follow U.S.41 north for several miles, as it meanders thru Southside hoods. The route is quite busy and fairly well marked; as long as you follow the U.S.41 shields, you should be okay. I esp. like driving by that closed off area on either S. Ewing or Mackinaw. I've always wanted to drive in there just to see what's up.

Eventually, you'll end up on S.Shore Dr, then Lake Shore Drive. The views are spectacular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: