Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 04:34 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
I live in what Shreveport considers the city and I hear gun shots every night
What does that have to do with anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 04:53 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,429,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
then you'd probably like Rogers Park.

no, seriously, the more i go through there to get to work, the more it is growing on me.
The neighborhood I live in use to be a very affluent neighborhood about 40-50 yrs ago and than it went all ghetto and now it is in the process of changing. Many buildings are being renovated for sale rather than rent. It still varies with some streets being occupied by drug dealers and pedophiles etc. Our street is great but I just found out some guy was going around town killing people lived on the street behind me. So that’s comforting. Many people questioned my decision to move here but I wouldn’t give up being close to the only decent grocery store and fresh outdoor market, boutiques and the only good restaurants in town and a beautiful park that our house backs up to. I love the mix of people who live on my street. Musicians across the street who always hold impromptu concerts with their front door open , another musician always sitting outside playing his guitar, Chinese family that speaks no English what so ever but that doesn’t stop the grandmother from walking up to me and sitting on my stoop next to me when I am outside to stare and smile saying nothing. The over zealous gardener who’s front yard looks hideous but I could totally shop for all my produce from her yard. The two strippers who my husband loves to check out while they hang outside smoking their ciggs and drinking their beer and the hot body guy who’s muscles glisten in the sun as he devotedly mows his lawn what seems to be every other day. I have yet to see him with a shirt on. Anyways my point is I can take not so ideal situations and focus on the good even with gunshots going off all around me. I do not belong in the burbs I would be sooooo bored. I love people and connecting.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
What does that have to do with anything?
Commuting through ghetto neighborhoods!
duh

East Rogers is a loooong commute to UIC Engineering 1h and 15 minutes thats what yahoo says anyways. Whats the average commute time for most people? I know here it is 10-15 minutes
in Houston its 45-1 hr.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:05 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Commuting through ghetto neighborhoods!
duh

East Rogers is a loooong commute to UIC Engineering 1h and 15 minutes thats what yahoo says anyways. Whats the average commute time for most people? I know here it is 10-15 minutes
in Houston its 45-1 hr.
Shreveport, LA isn't really analogous to Chicago. "Ghetto" isn't "ghetto". There's a little more nuance to it than that.

Furthermore, how are you commuting? Public transportation? By car? These things all make a difference.

I don't know about the average commute time, but I, personally, work from home most days, so my commute time doesn't exist. Days like today I'm downtown, so a half hour to 45 min.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Shreveport, LA isn't really analogous to Chicago. "Ghetto" isn't "ghetto". There's a little more nuance to it than that.

Furthermore, how are you commuting? Public transportation? By car? These things all make a difference.

I don't know about the average commute time, but I, personally, work from home most days, so my commute time doesn't exist. Days like today I'm downtown, so a half hour to 45 min.
I refuse to commute more than 10 minutes but I guess that will have to change once I move to Chicago. I would be willing to commute 20 maybe 30 minutes.
My husband will do whatever it takes if it means living far to make me happy. I dont want to make him have to commute long though =(
We will both be using our legs and Public transportation

Old 04-14-2009, 07:53 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
I refuse to commute more than 10 minutes but I guess that will have to change once I move to Chicago. I would be willing to commute 20 maybe 30 minutes.
My husband will do whatever it takes if it means living far to make me happy. I dont want to make him have to commute long though =(
We will both be using our legs and Public transportation
Where will you and he be commuting to?

Old 04-14-2009, 08:20 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
^uic? ^

Old 04-14-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Where will you and he be commuting to?
I dont have a job lined up so I wont be commuting anywhere.
My husband will be commuting to UIC for school and working in the loop.
I saw the cutest house in East Rogers Park but I am thinking its too far and it probably wont be there anyways when we are ready to move.. I just like to look and see whats out there.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:20 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Myssa -- What kind of work do you do? Honestly, it's really not worth getting your heart too set on anything because you have a better idea of where you'll be working, because you're sure to be disappointed.

I love Wicker Park, but I don't think it's the neighborhood I'd choose to live in if I had my choice of all of the neighborhoods, but it's the one I like best that works with my commute.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Myssa -- What kind of work do you do? Honestly, it's really not worth getting your heart too set on anything because you have a better idea of where you'll be working, because you're sure to be disappointed.

I love Wicker Park, but I don't think it's the neighborhood I'd choose to live in if I had my choice of all of the neighborhoods, but it's the one I like best that works with my commute.
Right now Iam working for a Real estate Company in marketing but I can do whatever.
I dont really have to work so I have the luxury of being picky and waiting for the right job that fits what I want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago