Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more classic and hilarious?
Hey Hey Holy Mackerel 6 40.00%
Here Come the Hawks 9 60.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 10:15 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,438,384 times

Advertisements

Lets go Hawks! Lets take that first game in Detroit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 10:44 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,124,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Still bitter. Just enjoy it.
Its hard to enjoy it when the United Center has turned into Wrigley Field West. Its hard to enjoy not being able to get gameday tickets. Its hard to enjoy rising ticket prices and "fans" that would rather text all game than actually, you know, watch the game. Im glad the Hawks are seeing black ink, dont get me wrong, but people are "into" the Hawks for all the wrong reasons. They dont like hockey, never have. The Hawks are just doing good now, therefore theyre "cool" now, right? Right?

So yes, Im a bit bitter, but I have my reasons.

Last edited by Steve-o; 05-16-2009 at 10:55 AM..

Old 05-16-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
With fans like this, it could be that people were reluctant to be associated with it.
Yep, youve nailed it! Way to contribute to the thread, too.

Back on topic.... we've got to find ways to get past Osgood and keep Zetterberg and Datsyuk under control. And also find a way to destroy Hudler, I hate that bastid.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:23 AM

308 posts, read 754,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Back on topic.... we've got to find ways to get past Osgood and keep Zetterberg and Datsyuk under control. And also find a way to destroy Hudler, I hate that bastid.

I will say that the absolute biggest key to the Hawks winning is avoiding stupid penalties. If you give any team a 5-4 advantage for two minutes, they will eventually make you pay. When you give the Red Wings a man advantage, they won't eventually make you pay - they will make you pay. If we give up the stupid penalties against the Red Wings, we are not going to be in a good position.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:35 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,062,651 times
Quote:
Its hard to enjoy it when the United Center has turned into Wrigley Field West. Its hard to enjoy not being able to get gameday tickets. Its hard to enjoy rising ticket prices and "fans" that would rather text all game than actually, you know, watch the game. Im glad the Hawks are seeing black ink, dont get me wrong, but people are "into" the Hawks for all the wrong reasons. They dont like hockey, never have. The Hawks are just doing good now, therefore theyre "cool" now, right? Right?

I don't understand you.

This has to be the fourth or fifth incarnation of this conversation.

The Hawks are in the Western Conference Finals. The UC finally has the atmosphere of the old stadium. The Hawks have the chance to really solidify hockey in this city, beyond the old fans that they've already won back.

And you complain that its tough to get a seat and people have cell phones at the games.

Go watch in Rockford then. That's about the same level of hockey the Hawks had most of the last decade, with cheaper tickets and plenty of seats. Clearly, being a fan of a winning NHL franchise is not for you.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
I don't understand you.

This has to be the fourth or fifth incarnation of this conversation.

The Hawks are in the Western Conference Finals. The UC finally has the atmosphere of the old stadium. The Hawks have the chance to really solidify hockey in this city, beyond the old fans that they've already won back.

And you complain that its tough to get a seat and people have cell phones at the games.

Go watch in Rockford then. That's about the same level of hockey the Hawks had most of the last decade, with cheaper tickets and plenty of seats. Clearly, being a fan of a winning NHL franchise is not for you.
Thats ok, I dont understand you either.

For someone who has a newly sparked interest in hockey, thats great, I have no problems with that. However, seeing the Hawks' attendance go from 12K to 22K is still a shock to me. The atmosphere IS indeed fun, but MY PROBLEM with it is that if the Hawks blow it the next few years, the place will once again be a ghost town. Im not interested in having fairweather fans around, theyre no good for the sport. The Bears, Bulls and Cubs have forever-loyal followings... the Hawks? Only when theyre doing good. And you suggesting me to follow the Ice Hogs is only reaffirming my statements.... so what that they had a bad team for most of the last decade? So have the Bears, Cubs, Bulls and Sox, but do you see their fans turning their backs on them?

Either love the Hawks and follow them, or get the heck out. End of story.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UICJohn View Post
I will say that the absolute biggest key to the Hawks winning is avoiding stupid penalties. If you give any team a 5-4 advantage for two minutes, they will eventually make you pay. When you give the Red Wings a man advantage, they won't eventually make you pay - they will make you pay. If we give up the stupid penalties against the Red Wings, we are not going to be in a good position.
Agreed 100%. Dont give the Wangs a 5 on 4 (or God forbid a 5 on 3) and our chances, naturally, will be much better. However, with their lineup stacked with people like Osgood, Lilja, Zetterberg, Holmstrom, Datsyuk, Hudler, Hossa, etc, etc, all under the incredible management of Babcock, its gonna be an extremely rough series, mark my words.

Im hopin that Sharp re-awakens, too.

LETS GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!

Old 05-16-2009, 02:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
Quote:

Ah, so you liked it better when there were only 4,000 people there? Or maybe you didn't, because that meant nobody cared about hockey? I'm confused -- do you want people to care about hockey, or not?

Old 05-16-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Ah, so you liked it better when there were only 4,000 people there? Or maybe you didn't, because that meant nobody cared about hockey? I'm confused -- do you want people to care about hockey, or not?
I want to see the UC filled for EVERY game, no ifs, ands, or buts. All the other Original 6 teams are loved and cherished, tough times or good. The Leafs and Habs have sold out every game for the last 30 frickin years. The Bruins and Wings and Rangers suffer no empty stadiums either. But there are the Hawks... the team that Chicago forgets unless theyre in the Playoffs. Shameful, especially in such a sports-lovin town as Chicago. I just cant see how everyone now loves the atmosphere at the UC, but thats the atmosphere that other NHL teams have enjoyed since their inception almost. But here sits Chicago... a ghost town of a stadium unless the team is doing good. The friggin Leafs have sold out every game since God knows when, and their last Cup victory was 1967 for Petes sake! The Habs sell out EVERY game and havent won the Cup in 16 years. My point? They have FANS who support them through thick and thin. They dont turn their backs, no matter how peeved they are, on the team they love so much. Id give my left nut to have that atmosphere in Chicago.

So do I want people to care about hockey? Dang straight. I want them to care so much that they have NO shame donning the indian head. I want them to care so much that theyll gladly fork out money to support the team, no matter how bad the year. Denis Savard said it best: "commit to the Indian or get out!" If the Hawks dont make the Playoffs for the next 10 years, all these new fans gobbling up Kane and Toews jersies like no tomorrow better not hang those sweaters up in shame or sell them on Ebay.

Commit. Support.

Last edited by Steve-o; 05-16-2009 at 05:56 PM..

Old 05-16-2009, 06:56 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,941,293 times
Quote:

Very true, but thats just like the Sox selling out back in 05. Personally I was a huge Sox fan when I was younger. I fell off for a while since I couldnt watch them on tv. That was the deal killer for me. Ive been watching them on and off this season and obviously more so as of late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago