Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more classic and hilarious?
Hey Hey Holy Mackerel 6 40.00%
Here Come the Hawks 9 60.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 03:44 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I do enjoy it. But I dont enjoy watching the ticket prices go up, not being able to get tickets to all the games I wanted to see, etc, etc, just because its the "in" thing to do (see the Hawks). For years I watched as maybe 8-10K people filled the stands, all into the game, now I go (if the game isnt sold out) and its like some kind of circus in there. Noone knows the rules, too many people are concerned about texting/chit-chatting, too many people dont wait for the whistle, etc, etc. Its turning into bloody Wrigley Field it seems. The last game I went to I had the "joy" of sitting behind a few girls who were wearing Sharp jersies. I should have guessed that they were there only because they think Sharp is "hot", but was hoping they were honest fans. What was hilarious was they were all asking where Sharpie was, but they were completely oblivious that he had been on IR for awhile. Gotta love it!

You see, the Bears, Sox (for the most part), Bulls and Cubs all have loyal followings. But the Hawks? Theyre shat upon by Chicagoans unless theyre doing good. Chicago has some of the most loyal fans on earth, but not when it comes to hockey. I GUARANTEE that if the Hawks dont make the playoffs for the next 5 years, the UC will once again be empty and once again Ill be able to get tickets.
What you're mad about are inevitable side effects of a healthy organization. The Hawks were an unhealthy, miserable franchise for so long that it might take some getting used to. But you will.

Anyway, 4 Treys in Roscoe Village also has Center Ice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 07:29 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
What you're mad about are inevitable side effects of a healthy organization.
No, Im mad at my fellow Chicagoans for not sticking with the Hawks, pissed off at Dollar Bill or not. Im ECSTATIC that the Hawks are seeing black ink. Im ECSTATIC that the Hawks have talented, young players with a future. Im NOT ecstatic, however, about going to the UC and rubbing shoulders with teeny-bopper girls who are more concerned with texting their friends than watching the game, all because they think its the "in-thing" to go see a Hawks game. I guess I just miss the days where I could stroll up to ANY game (weekend or not) and buy tickets at the UC for $10 and then seat-hop because the 300's (and all other sections lol) were a ghost town. lol

Old 04-19-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
No, Im mad at my fellow Chicagoans for not sticking with the Hawks, pissed off at Dollar Bill or not. Im ECSTATIC that the Hawks are seeing black ink. Im ECSTATIC that the Hawks have talented, young players with a future. Im NOT ecstatic, however, about going to the UC and rubbing shoulders with teeny-bopper girls who are more concerned with texting their friends than watching the game, all because they think its the "in-thing" to go see a Hawks game. I guess I just miss the days where I could stroll up to ANY game (weekend or not) and buy tickets at the UC for $10 and then seat-hop because the 300's (and all other sections lol) were a ghost town. lol
Yeah. That was nice. But a deafining anthem and playoff wins are nicer.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:14 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,475 times
I think what Steveo is saying, more or less, is new fans who become diehards are more enjoyable than the trendy, thing to do crowd. I can certainly relate to that. But I do find the Hawks crowd less trendy/yuppie than, say, West Coast crowds. At times, it seems there is 22,000 diehards at the UC but little interest aside from that. A first round win might help that.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
I think what Steveo is saying, more or less, is new fans who become diehards are more enjoyable than the trendy, thing to do crowd. I can certainly relate to that. But I do find the Hawks crowd less trendy/yuppie than, say, West Coast crowds. At times, it seems there is 22,000 diehards at the UC but little interest aside from that. A first round win might help that.
Of course. But as I said, that is inevitable once a team becomes successful. And today's trendy, clueless ******* might become next year's knowledgeable, unobnoxious fan - provided he buys the committed indian now and then to brush up on hockey etiquette (aka - you don't look smarter by yelling "shooot" when there's no shooting lane or screen set up).

I read last night that Comcast registered their highest ratings for a hawks telecast since the 94 playoffs (excluding the winter classic). The interest is there again. Fortunately, 300 level tickets are still cheap enough that there is enough of a non-yuppie presence that the atmosphere is still pretty good. At least it has been by my seats all year.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:32 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,475 times
We've had mainly diehards around us in the 300s. There's one set of apparently corporate seats where the knowledge varies wildly, but only one game where I'd say the people there weren't really into the game. I sat one game in the club seats, I was pleasantly surprise. The fans around me were vocal diehards, not the stereotype whatsoever.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:35 PM

YouTube - AFTER

Old 04-27-2009, 10:32 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Nice going guys! Now it is time for the next victims! The only question will be it be toasted shark or roasted duck?

Last edited by Avengerfire; 04-27-2009 at 10:47 PM..

Old 04-28-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Nice going guys! Now it is time for the next victims! The only question will be it be toasted shark or roasted duck?
Spiced canuck?

Old 05-01-2009, 10:41 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Default Hey Hey Holy Mackerel vs. Here Come the Hawks!

Which classic but hilarious Chicago sports song is, well, more classic and hilarious: The "Hey Hey Holy Mackerel" Cubs song, or the "Here Come the Hawks" Blackhawks song? For the uninitiated, here are some clips:

Hey Hey Holy Mackerel

YouTube - Hey Hey Holy Mackerel - Chicago Cubs

Here Come the Hawks

YouTube - Blackhawks Old Film Chicago Hockey

I apologize for not knowing the real names of each song, by the way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago