Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 11:33 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,447,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
...The Disney School lot by me charges $180, and that's in Uptown.
The Greeley lot is way cheaper. The one at Inter-American was as well but I think it will be no more as that land is being used for the new Town Hall police station... I am not even sure if the Greeley lot is still being used other than for Cubs games now that the whole area has gone permit 383 from 6pm to 6am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
I've seen 'em too in places like Ravenswood and Andersonville. But if you get that in Lincoln Park or downtown, you are one lucky man...
I know of and have seen one bedroomss in Lake View between 750 and 900.

They are quite the secret though...

Old 04-16-2009, 11:37 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,644,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
The Greeley lot is way cheaper. The one at Inter-American was as well but I think it will be no more as that land is being used for the new Town Hall police station...
How much cheaper? I know that being even a few blocks in from LSD makes a difference.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:42 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,644,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I know of and have seen one bedroomss in Lake View between 750 and 900.

They are quite the secret though...
But those secrets are the ones to know in a town like this. You've got years of experience. If I knew where to find 'em, I woulnd't post it here.

That said, you can get a large non-rehabbed two-bedroom condo for rent in my building in Buena Park for $1500--with no AC and no parking. I'm surprised that they keep getting this price, but they have had no trouble getting tenants in the four years I've been in the building. It is a very large two-bedroom, however--with a foyer and massive dining room.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
But those secrets are the ones to know in a town like this. You've got years of experience. If I knew where to find 'em, I woulnd't post it here...
I never have or will.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:20 PM

2,755 posts, read 4,384,521 times
Default thanks for your banter

Thanks Avengfire and Lookout Kid for your thoughts.... let me give you a bit more info...

I haven't lived in the Chicago area since I left for college, so no adult perspective while living here. But I did remember it used to be cheaper to live here.... at least cheaper then San Francisco, where yes.... a decent but funky 1 bedroom apartment + parking in a good location can easily cost $1500++.

I love my current place in San Francisco, which has an odd room layout in an older, 8-unit building (with so-so maintenance), garage, old kitchen with no frills but everything worked fine but I loved the fabulous hardwood floors/moldings/walk in closets/bay windows/french doors/view/walking distance to work/safe/lively neighborhood in walking distance. For me it was perfect, although pricey. I work way too much (unfortunately...), so it was my little haven/escape but conveniently close to work. And since I didn't have time to spend $ on anything, else, I could "afford it".

Honestly, I'm not a high-rise kinda gal, but if that's what I have to do for convenience/safety, I'd consider it. I don't need a gym/pool/doorman... or a fancy brand new kitchen. I'd love a place that is charming/unique that wont look ridiculous when I put my 2nd hand (but well maintained...) furniture in it. Are there any beautiful older buildings in the areas in walking distance to Northwestern Hospital (Streeterville, North River)?

Unfortunately, in many ways I still live like a grad student, but I am long past living with roommates or living in a crappy place just to pay less on rent. I like a neighborhood that's diverse, has young people and lots going on - and as I loved Cambridge/SF, I am always more comfortable with the artsy/academic/international types then yuppies or frat boys. Although I do also love cities/downtown, although I'm sure I will miss the "neighborhood" feel I have now.

I hope to work for 1-2 years in Chicago and then start looking for a place to buy. Hopefully by then, the neighborhoods will be more familiar to me.

Until then, my priorities in an apartment....

- 1 bedroom (not a studio)
- Parking, covered
- Charming/older building
- Walking distance to Northwestern Hospital or easy/safe public transportation commute to Northwestern would be outstanding (?I guess that means not far up/down the red line). I will sometimes be working after midnight, and sometimes starting as early as 6am so it has to be a workable commute at all hours... ideally.
- <30min commute. Even during rush hour. I will be tired.
- If I have to drive (ugh.... ), yes I would have to add an additional ?$150-200 per month for a monthly parking pass at Northwestern I assume. So I would want a lesser rent, accordingly.
- Walking distance to STUFF - at least a grocery store, a few good places to eat etc.. The more interesting/character the better.
- Ideally, $1500 or less. If it was a really incredible place, I could be more flexible although I am very wary of moving into pricey places in a city with no rent stabilization.

Sorry... I didn't mean to write so much. But since you guys seem so knowledgeable, I am hoping that you might just say "aha! ..... I have the building for you....". If you do, i'll start staking it out.

Thanks....

Old 04-18-2009, 08:38 PM

Well as a start...

"Are there any beautiful older buildings in the areas in walking distance to Northwestern Hospital (Streeterville, North River)?"

"Charming/older building"

Not that I know of. The area around Northwestern was mostly factories in the old days. Most of the housing near it was constructed in the last 5-20 years.

Of course it also depends what you consider walking distance. If you consider a half mile to a mile then yes, but the buildings more than likely are going to be old vintage high rises.

You probably are going to have to sacrifice on this if you want to be really close to Northwestern.

"Walking distance to STUFF...The more interesting/character the better."

There is not much character or anything interesting in Streeterville anymore. There are some things that remain in Old Town however.

"Parking, covered"

If parking is included in a vintage building 99 times out of a 100 it is not going to be covered. To get covered parking you have to live in a building built from the 70's onward. Even then many buildings do not have parking. If they do, more often than not, it is not included in the rent.

================================================
================================================

Can I ask why you need to have covered parking? Why do you even need a car to begin with if you are working in the Northwestern area? I am not trying to be nosey, but unless you are making 6 figures and have some kind of priceless car there is no need for a car... You don't have to answer this question if you do not want to.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 04-18-2009 at 08:49 PM..

Old 04-18-2009, 10:23 PM

2,755 posts, read 4,384,521 times
Avengerfire,

Your points are very very helpful. I really appreciate them.

Maybe what I am looking for is a "vintage" apartment building... and you point out the problem being that I would have to walk quite a way from Northwestern to find one (in Chicago snow... at 6am...), and that they might not have parking. Ouch. I only requested covered parking as I was hoping it was not an impossibility in snowy Chicago. I can't even imagine how people manage parking overnight outside in Chicago... I did this when I lived in Cambridge, but the amount of snow there was MUCH less, and it still became an occasional nightmare. I was towed a lot..... Can't do that again.

So basically, in Chicago you have to live in a newer building to get covered parking.... and how much extra does it tend to cost?

Although your question about "why do you need a car?" is actually a very good one. And you are right that I really shouldn't even have one if I live close to work (and my car currently is a 11 year old Toyota.... and I am lucky to have it). I guess I want it more for personal reasons, as I will need to travel to the suburbs with little warning to assist my older parents at times (long story, but part of the reason why i'm moving back to Chicago). Also I have learned that when you are working too much, time becomes so precious that to have that extra degree of freedom that a car provides is key. I'll think about this though.

Not great to hear that the area around Northwestern doesn't have much character... although I suspected this from what I have seen so far. Well, as long as it has some basic essentials, and I can escape to more interesting areas.... on the red line?

thanks guys. Appreciate any thoughts you have. So helpful so far.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
...Maybe what I am looking for is a "vintage" apartment building... and you point out the problem being that I would have to walk quite a way from Northwestern to find one (in Chicago snow... at 6am...), and that they might not have parking. Ouch. I only requested covered parking as I was hoping it was not an impossibility in snowy Chicago....

You can try a place like this vintage building Park View Apartments | B & A

They offer covered parking-I believe-which is rare for a vintage building. I think it will set you back $200 a month though.

The apartments are on the smaller side but the location is great. You can walk a block and then hop on a bus (151 Sheridan) and walk a couple blocks to work in under 30 minutes easily. You can also take 22 Clark or 36 Broadway (36 gets a block closer to NU than 22) but the walk to these buses are a couple blocks longer from Northwestern.

There are other vintage mid-rises in the south end of Lincoln Park that will work for you too.

IMO the southern end of Lincoln Park closer to Lincoln Park itself and the Zoo (east of Halsted) would be your best bet in finding a place that comes closest to what you seek. You could look into Gold Coast as well...

The only problem with this is scenario is you are not going to be paying much less than you did in SF... You have to sacrifice time and distance to work if you want to save big money on rent in Chicago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
...covered parking.... and how much extra does it tend to cost?

...Although your question about "why do you need a car?" is actually a very good one. And you are right that I really shouldn't even have one if I live close to work (and my car currently is a 11 year old Toyota.... and I am lucky to have it). I guess I want it more for personal reasons, as I will need to travel to the suburbs with little warning to assist my older parents at times...
Most covered parking in Chicago cost $150 a month and more. If you can always rent a I-Go car www.igocars.com or Zip Car www.zipcar.com if you need to get to your parents house.

If you do not mind me asking what burb do they live in?

Last edited by Avengerfire; 04-18-2009 at 11:23 PM..

Old 04-19-2009, 12:29 AM

5,523 posts, read 13,891,437 times
In my experience, Boston gets a lot more snow than Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago