Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 09:29 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times

Advertisements

Avengerfire's advice has been very good so far. There are a few vintage buildings in northern Streeterville, but the only ones that I know of with covered parking are the vintage Co-op buildings on East Lakeshore Drive, and I'm sure they would NEVER allow rentals in any of those places. Streeterville is now just part of "downtown", and is pretty much filled with newer high-rises and parking lots. There are only snippets of the original character of the area still visible. River North is about the same untill you get further west into the old warehouse district. You could live in the western part of River North in a loft building or something, but again you would probably have to rent covered parking in a separate newer building.

Since you will be working in Streeterville, I might recommend living along an express bus routes near Lake Shore Drive to the north. The Red Line runs down State Street, and is still a bit of a hike to Northwestern. It's not terrible, but it may be good to keep your options open for bus routes. Most Lake Shore Drive Express buses run down Michigan Avenue, and they have more stops. So you could shave at least a few blocks off of your walk. And I know that in many cities the buses are viewed as second-class public transit, but in my vast experience with Lake Shore Drive express buses I can tell you that they are definitely safer and less sketchy than the Red Line. I used to fall asleep on them all of the time. Not smart, but try doing that on the Red Line a few times and see what happens.

Now, in terms of working late, most of us take cabs in that situation. I am an architect who has pulled long hours in the past, and I pretty much always take a cab after 9 p.m.--though my employers always allowed me to expense it.

Last edited by Lookout Kid; 04-20-2009 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 09:01 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,849 times
I'd second Avengerfire's suggestion for using Zipcar. Take a look at their website, they have lots all over the city. Considering you're not necessarily looking at using your car daily, but want to have the freedom to use it when the need arises, this will provide that - and you will save money on the cost of parking + gas + insurance (and if your car isn't already paid off, the payment itself).

If you take away the requirement for covered parking, your options on finding a place that is more your fit will expand greatly.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:23 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
If you don't need the car every day, I wouldn't be too concerned with covered parking. To me, that seems the easiest compromise -- keep the car, live on a non-snow route, park it on the street and scrape it off when you need it on the weekends. On my street there were some people who appeared to go most of the winter without using their cars -- to me that's a sign it's probably time to sell it, but I understand the feel of freedom they can provide.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:40 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,802,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
i'd second avengerfire's suggestion for using zipcar. Take a look at their website, they have lots all over the city. Considering you're not necessarily looking at using your car daily, but want to have the freedom to use it when the need arises, this will provide that - and you will save money on the cost of parking + gas + insurance (and if your car isn't already paid off, the payment itself).

If you take away the requirement for covered parking, your options on finding a place that is more your fit will expand greatly.
+1

Old 04-23-2009, 07:08 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,906 times
Thanks again for all of your thoughts. So very helpful....

While I would love to be free of the expense/hassle of a car, for now I have to keep it. Although I will think about zipcar a little more..... I will need to have the flexibility of being able to drive out to Oak Park (where my parents live) - without much planning ahead - on a weekday evening if needed. While I'd love to do all of my traveling on public transportation, the commute from Northwestern would take at least an hour+ each way (walk to train/wait/red line train/transfer to green line/green line train/get out to Oak Park/walk quite a way...). Just not practical, as time is even more precious then money these days. I'm also a bit wary about taking the green line back into the city in the later evening. Am I wrong? I'm a pretty savvy city girl - and felt pretty comfortable taking the subway in NYC (and certainly in SF) just about anywhere/anytime... but I never felt quite as comfortable on some of the Chicago trains. They just don't seem as well populated in the later evenings, in my (limited) recent experience.

Do buses run frequently in the early morning/later evening from Streeterville to northern areas, if I wanted to live outside of Streeterville? Or is the red line (not a very far walk from Northwestern, in my mind) a more convenient commute for early mornings or later evenings (eg. 6am... 11pm)? But safety is an issue if you think the red line could be sketchy.

Is it worth just hitting the pavement and walking up and down the streets in areas of interest to look for "for rent" signs? Streeterville/River North lofts (I like that...)/southern Lincoln park vintage buildings.... Will I stumble upon a convenient gem this way, or just stick with the papers/webites/Craig's list?

Old 04-23-2009, 08:24 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,392,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I know of and have seen one bedroomss in Lake View between 750 and 900.

They are quite the secret though...
I looked at a few with my daughter, on Cornelia, last Saturday. They looked like crack houses.

Can you share?

Old 04-23-2009, 10:16 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
I'm also a bit wary about taking the green line back into the city in the later evening. Am I wrong? I'm a pretty savvy city girl - and felt pretty comfortable taking the subway in NYC (and certainly in SF) just about anywhere/anytime... but I never felt quite as comfortable on some of the Chicago trains. They just don't seem as well populated in the later evenings, in my (limited) recent experience.
I personally would avoid both branches of the Green Line after the evening rush hour. It's probably the sketchiest of all "L" routes, and I don't even like taking it during the day. I know a few Oak Parkers who swear it's fine though. The Blue Line is a safer bet, and gives you a direct transfer to the Red. But I wouldn't take that late at night either. Cabs are the way to go in that situation--though getting to Oak Park would be like $30 or something!

Quote:
Do buses run frequently in the early morning/later evening from Streeterville to northern areas, if I wanted to live outside of Streeterville? Or is the red line (not a very far walk from Northwestern, in my mind) a more convenient commute for early mornings or later evenings (eg. 6am... 11pm)? But safety is an issue if you think the red line could be sketchy.
It depends on the bus. Some express buses are rush hour only, but they are typically redundant for other routes (but with fewer stops). You can always get to the North Side from River North on public transportation.

As far as the Red Line is concerned, it is probably the most like a Manhattan subway of any of the "L" routes in terms of usage, and it is well populated on the North Side well into the evening. People use it to get to and from the bars at night.

Quote:
Is it worth just hitting the pavement and walking up and down the streets in areas of interest to look for "for rent" signs? Streeterville/River North lofts (I like that...)/southern Lincoln park vintage buildings.... Will I stumble upon a convenient gem this way, or just stick with the papers/webites/Craig's list?
I've actually found my best appartments in Chicago using this method. I'd drive around with my wife, and the person in the passenger seat would have a notebook. We'd drive the blocks we were most interested in, and would search for "For Rent" signs--and then would jot down the addresses and phone numbers of pretty much any place we saw. Often times landlords will own multiple buildings in an area, so you may often find something nearby. I got my two best apartments in Chicago this way--and in the exact locations I was interested in.

However, since you're looking in high-rise dominated areas, you won't find many "For Rent" signs at the tops of stoops. But if you get more into Old Town and Lincoln Park, this method could work.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:35 PM

Default ?thoughts on this apartment

I have been searching the Northwestern medical area neighborhoods for 1 bedroom apartments and don't have great feelings about what I am finding in Streeterville. Not a huge fan of the huge highrises on city streets with pricey apartments without much character, I guess. And of course, the cost of that parking space is a killer...

I'm thinking to rent for one year - with the main goals being convenience (walking to Northwestern, public transit and "stuff" nearby), parking, and finally - a decent amount of space/charm as the last priority. Once I know the city and neighborhoods better, I will move further out and use public transit to get to the hospitals and enjoy a larger/charming apartment and community.

Along those lines, wondering what you think of this option.... I had no plan of looking North of Northwestern at apartments, figuring it was much too pricey, but I just saw this apartment and think it could work...

- Just a few blocks north of Northwestern/Chicago Ave., near Lake Shore Drive.

Very short walk to work, and the Red line isn't far either.
Peaceful neighborhood, but close enough to stuff.

- Condo building (so very well maintained) - not one of the beautiful old ones, but ok.
- 1 bedroom, about 800sq feet, great closets, all renovated but simple, not high-end
- High floor. Nice enough apartment, small amount of charm
- $1250 (+electric only, +$180 with parking)

Honestly, I know this is not my kind of neighborhood long-term. I don't fit the profile. But it seems safe, easy and convenient option for 1 year. I only wish Trader's was closer!

I guess I would appreciate any yeahs or nays... as although this is cheaper then my current apartment in San Francisco (and not as spacious), I am starting to feel guilty for spending this money in Chicago. I realize that I could probably find something ?bigger/?cheaper with parking/still in a very convenient neighborhood for walking and doing fun stuff, and still within a short commute to Northwestern if I knew the city better and had more time. But maybe I can search for that perfect place over the next year as I get to know Chicago all over again...

Old 05-30-2009, 04:31 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,129 times
Lots of new transplants move into neighborhoods that are not Gold Coast. I don't really get it. Around here most people's average commute is close to an hour, when walking, bussing, driving, training is concerned. While being walking distance may be nice it just isn't practical. Why live somewhere where you don't feel comfortable just because its a few blocks from work?

Old 05-31-2009, 04:29 PM

hmmm... maybe I'm misreading your post, but I think I get your point.

The apartment I found is in Streeterville, not Gold Coast. Living walking distance to work may be the most "practical" thing. For sanity.

Unfortunately, I am still at a time of my life when it is work 95% of time, life 5% of time. Therefore, keeping commute down to a minimum may improve my life %. Once I get to know the nooks and crannies of the city better, maybe then I can improve the quality of that life time.

I also suspect from what I've heard about Lincoln Park is that it may not be for me either.... so the bus option of living further North has become less appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago