Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 09:22 AM

42 posts, read 139,255 times

Advertisements

That is certainly a possibility. Would it be possible to list a few suburban districts for me because I am not familiar with any.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 09:23 AM

42 posts, read 139,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
Suburban teachers make significantly more than CPS teachers. Maybe you can look into working for a suburban school district.
This is certainly a possibility. Would it be possible to list a few suburban districts for me because I am not familiar with any.

Thanks

Old 11-18-2009, 09:09 AM

3 posts, read 8,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
Suburban teachers make significantly more than CPS teachers. Maybe you can look into working for a suburban school district.
I beg to differ. I am a CPS teacher in her 6th year. My boyfriend is a suburban teacher in his 12th year. I make quite a bit more than he does. In addition, looking around at the various salary schedules, the only districts I saw that could compare to CPS would be Naperville and those located in Lake County.

CPS pays very well!

Old 11-18-2009, 09:10 AM

Oh yeah...just a little late. They're all so fitting!

Old 11-18-2009, 11:42 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Puppylove, if you did not see the recent article in the Tribune I would recommend that you and your boyfriend review it:

School districts' salary gaps don't always affect test scores -- chicagotribune.com

Top, bottom teacher salaries -- chicagotribune.com (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/education/chi091109teacherpay_gfx,0,7500183.graphic - broken link)

As as former teacher I can sympathize with your boyfriend's poor choice of working in a district that pays less than CPS. I know that the average payroll numbers do not tell the whole story of the various "lanes" and "steps" that the overly bureaucratic salary negotiations usually result in. Unfortunately he can blame both the union leaders that allegedly "represent" him and the schools board that is no doubt trying to respond to resident / tax payer demands to reign in spending. He should have also looked at the total cost of expanding his education / qualifications as well the additional pay that would bring. Additional investigation into the stipends for extra curricular activities also factor strongly into the compensation of certified staff. It can be difficult to leave a district solely for a better a salary. If he wants to change his role and has endorsements for administrative roles he may have more luck moving to a better paying district, though even that is iffy...

I know many suburban teachers working in districts with good resources that make far more after a decade of employment than CPS teachers could hope to make with double that experience, and they have better working conditions to boot...

Old 11-19-2009, 11:15 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
CPS teachers seem to have pretty rapid burn out rates too. Many move on to other districts after just a year or two. It can be a very tough job.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:23 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,918,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
CPS teachers seem to have pretty rapid burn out rates too. Many move on to other districts after just a year or two. It can be a very tough job.
They do. It's one reason I am so happy that I live in the suburbs. I will maybe one day consider living in Chicago if CPS ever gets it together.

Of course, I'll be retired by then...

Old 12-07-2009, 08:19 PM

I am burned out. But again, I couldn't find the pay anywhere else but in either Lake County or some other Unit School District such as Naperville. I have searched both when I first started teaching and just recently. I have also considered lane and step increases as well as other paid duties. CPS's latest contract called for a yearly increase of around 7% each year for 5 years. If you visit the CPS website, you can find the salary schedule, and if you know of a suburban district where I can make the same money (Lane 5) that I'm making at CPS, please let me know!!! I would be MORE THAN HAPPY to move on out of Chicago and over to the suburbs!!! Thanks!!

Old 12-07-2009, 09:41 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The competition for good paying districts is intense, and many flat out have a preference for hiring younger teachers or those with with a very specific mix of skills / academic preparation. Among CPS high schools teachers there tends to be a path for the best classroom teachers to advance into the best magnet schools and shoot for department chair and if they so desire to compete for the best slots in desirable suburban high schools. Things are much harder for elementary teachers as there are generally fewer 'elevated' positions in either CPS or suburban districts and frankly even if one were to pursue a PhD and land a position at a teacher college salary might not work out all that great.

That said IF you are an elementary teacher you are generally correct that the salary schedules tend to be higher in the unit districts where the competition for high school teachers has to be addressed. Even so, there is no lack of good paying elementary only districts in DuPage Co.: Top, bottom teacher salaries -- chicagotribune.com (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/education/chi091109teacherpay_gfx,0,7500183.graphic - broken link) The correlation is heavily skewed to not how great the need for skilled teachers might be to how affluent the parents / BoE members likely are -- very difficult for those sitting across the table to turn down union requests when your household income is far above the norm...

Last edited by chet everett; 12-07-2009 at 10:29 PM..

Old 12-07-2009, 09:55 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,097 times
Lane 5 looks to be pretty good in CPS. I'm not familiar with many suburban districts that will even pay as well as lane 1 for the 09/10 schools year in CPS. Most places I've seen will pay a good 5K lower than that per year.

And Chet is right about the collegiate level too. That's what I'm aiming to do, and I've found that even with a PhD working a full course load, I'd still only make $35K. Crazy low, but it's what I love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago