Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 04:14 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Oh, and do take a weekend to go to Michigan and check out some of their beaches. They have some awesome dunes on that side and wonderful sunsets.
Probably quicker and easier transportation wise to get to the indiana dunes, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 04:53 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
Probably quicker and easier transportation wise to get to the indiana dunes, no?
Yeah. They are nice as well. But also close enough to the steel plants that it mars the view a bit. But I've never made it to the Michigan dunes to compare.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:00 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
The North Ave bus heads straight to the beach all summer -- definitely the way to get there as there is never any parking.
Best to go by BIKING instead! About 18 minutes on a road bike from Western & North Ave to Olive Park water fountain [my workout start point]!

And when you're on a bike, you can just bike between cars and blow past all that clogged traffic on North Ave!

I hang around Oak Street Beach reading and BMX freestyling by the ramp there. You might see me there in 7 of my 9 bmx bikes! I was a COOL bmx freestyler back in the 80's doing old school bike tricks there!

I might hit the skatepark too, but I'm too scared to get air at a skatepark bowl when I got no health insurance! And then I don't want to trash my bike!

Old 04-22-2009, 09:13 PM

425 posts, read 1,436,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post

And when you're on a bike, you can just bike between cars and blow past all that clogged traffic on North Ave!
Do that past my car, and I'm going to open my door on you. Nothing upsets me more on the roadways than when bike riders act as though the laws of the streets don't apply to them. You are just as required to wait through red lights, stop at stop signs, and yield to pedestrians as everyone else on the road.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:44 PM

26 posts, read 54,182 times
[quote=cubssoxfan;8467965]No waves?! On some days you do get some 2-4 waves and occasionally you get heavier surf.
[quote]

Yeah the waves do get pretty high on a windy day. The weather man said that waves in lake michigan are more likely to cause drowning with under tows because they are choppy and close together.

The water is much clearer here than in Jersey though. The Atlantic is muddy. But I heard that sometimes they put red flags out because e-coli is common here. I suspect that the factories in Gary don't attribute to clean water. But it looks nice!

Old 04-23-2009, 01:42 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
Do that past my car, and I'm going to open my door on you.
Stay classy...

Old 04-23-2009, 07:24 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
Do that past my car, and I'm going to open my door on you. Nothing upsets me more on the roadways than when bike riders act as though the laws of the streets don't apply to them. You are just as required to wait through red lights, stop at stop signs, and yield to pedestrians as everyone else on the road.
Well, not to side with Jesse.... but are you suggesting that cyclists should stay stuck in traffic with car drivers?

Because no one said anything about ignoring stop signs.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:00 AM

425 posts, read 1,436,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Well, not to side with Jesse.... but are you suggesting that cyclists should stay stuck in traffic with car drivers?

No, the bike lane is there for a reason, so bikers should be able to go as far as they want to in the bike lane, but that does not include running lights and stops like I see every biker do. If I had a dollar for every time I almost made a right turn (at a 4-way stop) across a biker speeding up from behind me...

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with bicyclists. I am an avid motorcyclist, so I know what it's like to be much smaller and vulnerable than all the surrounding traffic. But as a result of that, I am more cautious when on my motorcycle, not more reckless.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:19 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post

Ha, you sided with Jesse. FWIW, I did too.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:54 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Ha, you sided with Jesse. FWIW, I did too.
God, I know. It was like pressing needles into my flesh to do so....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago