Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 09:47 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
So by your logic, if you're an obnoxious driver, I have the "right" to cause bodily harm to you?!

I said it would be a privilege. What I meant was.....ahh, never mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 11:54 AM

425 posts, read 1,436,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
I'm out of here at 3 and will be getting on my bike riding the lakeshore path. Please do not door me on the way to the lake. I will do my best to observe all traffic laws, although stop signs are yield signs to me.
Haha I'll be taking the bus.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:47 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
OK Tom,
If you venture to suburbia and see me on my blue Trek road bike, please be patient. I try really hard to ride responsibly and predictably around cars. If there is a car approaching an intersection where I have a stop sign, I stop-just like I'm in my car. If there is NO traffic, I treat it as a yield sign. I stop at all red lights and very rarely go until it's green. If I do, it has to completely clear with absolutely no visible traffic. I have to be cautious because it takes a while to re-engage my cleats and if I have trouble with this, I'm toast. If I do ride along the right of cars stopped at red light, it is to get to front and make myself visible. If not, I take up enough of the lane so I am noticed and not hit.
So I understand your comment aimed at reckless cycling behaviour. I abhor the "You watch out for me as I cycle as I feel like without regards to traffic laws" riders out there. But when you make a statement like you did, you strike a sensitive nerve. I'm exposed on a 15lb. bike. Your protected in a 3,000+lb. car- no contest. If you or me make a big mistake-I'm dead, your alive.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:59 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
OK Tom,
If you venture to suburbia and see me on my blue Trek road bike, please be patient......

So I understand your comment aimed at reckless cycling behaviour. I abhor the "You watch out for me as I cycle as I feel like without regards to traffic laws" riders out there. But when you make a statement like you did, you strike a sensitive nerve. I'm exposed on a 15lb. bike. Your protected in a 3,000+lb. car- no contest. If you or me make a big mistake-I'm dead, your alive.

I ride my bicycle most days myself. I pedal my fat old Irish ass over to 18th St, cross the tracks and then take the Lake path south. On the way back north I'll stop at a park bench and enjoy a nice cigar. Pretty soon I'll be back up to 15-20 miles a day. On the way over to the Lake from my place I obey all traffic laws including stopping at stop signs.

So this isn't a bike vs. car thing, not for me anyway.

Kind Regards

Old 04-24-2009, 02:23 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I ride my bicycle most days myself. I pedal my fat old Irish ass over to 18th St, cross the tracks and then take the Lake path south. On the way back north I'll stop at a park bench and enjoy a nice cigar. Pretty soon I'll be back up to 15-20 miles a day. On the way over to the Lake from my place I obey all traffic laws including stopping at stop signs.

So this isn't a bike vs. car thing, not for me anyway.

Kind Regards
Hopefully, I'll do a weekday afternoon ride on the lakeshore path this year. If I see you, I'll wave hello.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:37 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I rarely see a cyclist NOT run a red light in Chicago. They have no right to complain about drivers' behavior until they start following the laws themselves. I'd say at least 95% of the cyclists in Chicago behave dangerously. I'm all for people getting out of their cars, but it's out of hand here.
I agree on all counts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago