Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 12:13 PM

220 posts, read 991,357 times

Advertisements

I am 26, single, female and will be flying out of Midway on a weekly basis. I would like to live by bars, clubs and restaurants, but I need to be able to walk around at night.

Which of the hip cool neighborhoods is easiest to get to Midway from, and which is safest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 12:16 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Wait a minute here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...blue-line.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...26-single.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...job-offer.html

Old 04-26-2009, 01:21 PM

393 posts, read 1,217,426 times
Perhaps she realized that Midway is a better airport for the short flights she would be taking? I was going to tell her that in one of her earlier threads, but the paucity of "happening" areas near the Orange Line stayed my hand.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:38 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic View Post
Perhaps she realized that Midway is a better airport for the short flights she would be taking? I was going to tell her that in one of her earlier threads, but the paucity of "happening" areas near the Orange Line stayed my hand.
If one is going to Midway once a week I hardly think it is important to live as close as possible to it.

Wicker Park,Lakeview,Ukrainian Village,etc are pretty much equidistant to each airport anyway.

I am just trying to figure out the logic here with this person's threads.

Something is not right here IMO.

Here this person is saying she will fly twice a month, but in other posts she says once a week:

04-15-2009, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasycheeseburgers View Post
I'm not preppy, so it seems like Wicker Park is the way to go?

I am looking at spending less than $1,000 a month on rent, it doesn't matter if it gets me a studio or 2 bedrooms, I am concerned about location.

I would have a home office and I would be flying twice a month, driving to neighboring states the rest of the time. I need parking bc when I get home late I like having a dedicated spot.
04-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Hi.
I need to take the blue line to the airport, what suburbs would be best?
Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Ok. I am relocating from Florida, and will be flying out of the airport on a regular/weekly basis. Where should I live?

Last edited by Avengerfire; 04-26-2009 at 05:06 PM..

Old 04-26-2009, 05:39 PM

220 posts, read 991,357 times
lol. I spoke with the HR dept initally, they told me the whole territory was driveable, and I would occasionally be flying I would be out of O'hare. I then spoke to the regional who said I would be flying most places out of O'hare and driving occasionally. I finally talked to the person I am replacing - who said I would be flying everywhere, and flying out of Midway.

Besides all the jumbled info, they are deciding this week if I will go to Chicago, Atlanta, or Orlando. I'm most concerned about Chicago because I've never used public transportation on a regular basis, and I've never lived in an area with parking issues.

Sorry for all the questions, but I've lived and moved a lot of places, and Chicago looks like a logistical nightmare right now.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:11 PM

342 posts, read 1,232,534 times
you could live in oak park

Old 04-26-2009, 06:33 PM

393 posts, read 1,217,426 times
The locations you listed are generally not so drivable. I wouldn't drive any further than St Louis, Toledo or Detroit. Minneapolis, Tennessee and most of Ohio are a cheap flight away, and many of these flights are out of Midway. In an earlier thread, Oak Park was suggested as a compromise between the two airports, and because it is pretty "happening" as far as western suburbs are concerned.

Another possibility--but if and only if it is near your Chicago home office--is to live in Bridgeport. Bridgeport is safe, and (hilariously for those of us who know Chicago well) the latest happening neighborhood, with some artists having begun moving in a couple of years ago. You would then hop on the Halsted and Archer Orange Line station http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halsted...Orange_Line%29 or the Ashland and Archer station http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashland...Orange_Line%29 to go to work and to Midway (and with a transfer to the Blue Line, O'Hare).

Last edited by Intergalactic; 04-26-2009 at 06:41 PM..

Old 04-27-2009, 10:41 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
If you're only going once a week - who cares. Just live near a train line and you can take that to downtown and catch the Orange to Midway.

See, orange you glad that was so easy?

Old 04-27-2009, 01:30 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
If you're only going once a week - who cares. Just live near a train line and you can take that to downtown and catch the Orange to Midway.

See, orange you glad that was so easy?
Booooo.....

Old 04-27-2009, 06:12 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,417,868 times
My vote would be to go with Lincoln Park or Lakeview. It's near the lake, the quintessential transplant area in this city, it's hip (in the yuppie sense), near the Gold Coast, near downtown, and you can catch the Red or Brown line, to connect to the Orange Line to Midway.

And if you're driving, you can take Lake Shore Drive, to I-55 down to Midway as well.

Quote:
I am 26, single, female and will be flying out of Midway on a weekly basis. I would like to live by bars, clubs and restaurants, but I need to be able to walk around at night.

Which of the hip cool neighborhoods is easiest to get to Midway from, and which is safest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago