Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 12:46 PM

413 posts, read 829,034 times

Advertisements

I live in Lakeview now. It looks like this is the heart of Pilsen. My wife is taking a job in Hammond and we need more space so I am looking to move further south.

I am kind of done with the bar thing, but how is it. I am guessing that the few times we go out we'll probably just get a cab to lincoln park or maybe the halstead bus is not that bad. Or I guess wicker park is pretty easy too.

How about neighborhood restaurants? I'm sure I can have my pick of mexican joints. How about other foods? Is this a good neighborhood to walk for groceries and basic errands. It seems like train service to the loop is not great due to a long walk to the el, but bus service looks decent.

Would you feel safe living here? the numbers on everyblock are not bad but not as good as north side neighborhoods. I read mixed things regarding the safety of pilsen and its seems that east of halstead is more liked then west of it. Though racine is not too far west.

What are your thoughs on property appreciation. Its close to the loop and seems to have the diversity that trendy upper income buyers like, but I think lack of an el and crime concerns are still holding values down. Between Pilsen, river west and south loop which would be your rankings for expected property appreciation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 12:50 PM

202 posts, read 760,475 times
every single day there is a Pilsen question in here, just use the search option for Pilsen and you will probably find plenty of info you are looking for.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:52 PM

413 posts, read 829,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainiac138 View Post
every single day there is a Pilsen question in here, just use the search option for Pilsen and you will probably find plenty of info you are looking for.
I have read a bunch of them. The impression I seem to get is that east of Halstead is reccomended and west of ashland not so much. I have not gotten a true sense of the opinions for that area in the middle.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:29 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,419,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindukid View Post
I have read a bunch of them. The impression I seem to get is that east of Halstead is reccomended and west of ashland not so much. I have not gotten a true sense of the opinions for that area in the middle.
Very little of Pilsen is east of Halsted, as the Dan Ryan is the border of the neighborhood. I would not go west of Ashland if you are not familiar with the area. Anything along 18th would be good because that strip stays pretty busy with people and vehicle traffic. Watch out for Blue Island south of Cermak and the areas west of Damen in that neighborhood. Things can get dicey in those areas after dark but it's still a far cry from Austin.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:39 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,941,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindukid View Post
I live in Lakeview now. It looks like this is the heart of Pilsen. My wife is taking a job in Hammond and we need more space so I am looking to move further south.

I am kind of done with the bar thing, but how is it. I am guessing that the few times we go out we'll probably just get a cab to lincoln park or maybe the halstead bus is not that bad. Or I guess wicker park is pretty easy too.

How about neighborhood restaurants? I'm sure I can have my pick of mexican joints. How about other foods? Is this a good neighborhood to walk for groceries and basic errands. It seems like train service to the loop is not great due to a long walk to the el, but bus service looks decent.

Would you feel safe living here? the numbers on everyblock are not bad but not as good as north side neighborhoods. I read mixed things regarding the safety of pilsen and its seems that east of halstead is more liked then west of it. Though racine is not too far west.

What are your thoughs on property appreciation. Its close to the loop and seems to have the diversity that trendy upper income buyers like, but I think lack of an el and crime concerns are still holding values down. Between Pilsen, river west and south loop which would be your rankings for expected property appreciation.
Will you have a car?
I use to live a few blocks West so you would be in a bit better area... However Living in that area with a car will suck. The closest store is Jewel at Roosevelt and Ashland which will be a hike with groceries (I made it many times). There are many mom & pop stores off of 18th but you wont be able to live off those and I was never a fan. Food? I hope you love Mexican food, not a whole lot of other options. There maybe some new places that are opening off Halsted, not to sure. If you do have a car you are a short drive from Taylor St. There is an L stop at Ashland so you are not too far away from there either.

Me and my gf never felt unsafe in that area and would travel around at night to and from the L. That being said Im sure it would be a pretty big change from Lakeview. The area is definetly transforming and very well could be a great long term investment. Halsted has been transformed and it is starting to trickle a bit West. Before I moved I was looking at renting a 1700 sq ft place with a roof top deck for the same price I rent my 1250 sqft apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago