Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 10:52 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Ummm didn't he appear in a major gathering in Grant Park back in November with hundreds of thousands of people? LOL! Or did I miss something somewhere? I'm sure another stage could be set up like that one was. Can you imagine how many people would be at the fest that day? I could see over 2 mil there that day. Talk about a way for the city to make some money. Holy crap. Daley you pondering this? As for him, I almost gotta feel sorry for him now, he's like a rat in a cage. He can't just go out among all the people and have a good time now. Thats kinda gotta suck.
Hate to get sidetracked, but do you remember the security that was involved in that operation? Grant Park was locked down for several days prior to election night for security sweeps, etc. I don't think we have the option of closing down Grant Park during the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 10:53 AM

308 posts, read 757,469 times
Quote:
Daley you pondering this? As for him, I almost gotta feel sorry for him now, he's like a rat in a cage. He can't just go out among all the people and have a good time now. Thats kinda gotta suck.

Pretty sure you can say that about all celebrities. Michael Jordan, Barack Obama, Oprah...it comes with the territory. Honestly, I think I'd be fine with receiving fame and millions along with that to give up some of those freedoms. Some famous ones say they'd give up their money to just be normal (but I don't see them trying). I guess the grass is always greener.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:53 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,103,650 times
Quote:
Ummm didn't he appear in a major gathering in Grant Park back in November with hundreds of thousands of people? LOL! Or did I miss something somewhere? I'm sure another stage could be set up like that one was. Can you imagine how many people would be at the fest that day? I could see over 2 mil there that day. Talk about a way for the city to make some money. Holy crap. Daley you pondering this?
Can we think about the difference in logistics between giving a speech on a stage, guarded by bulletproof glass, and walking through a crowded street festival? Even with the easier to control Grant Park speech, the amount of money spent on security was in the millions, and required people to wait in checkpoint lines for hours.

What you're talking about hasn't a snowflakes chance in hell of happening. Don't you have better things to discuss anyways, like posting a Youtube video of a monkey smoking a cigarette to back up your argument that all monkeys smoke cigarettes?

Old 05-07-2009, 10:56 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,508,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UICJohn View Post
Pretty sure you can say that about all celebrities. Michael Jordan, Barack Obama, Oprah...it comes with the territory. Honestly, I think I'd be fine with receiving fame and millions along with that to give up some of those freedoms. Some famous ones say they'd give up their money to just be normal (but I don't see them trying). I guess the grass is always greener.
For what the presidents gotta put up with, continual death threats and having to hide out in a big old house in DC, I think I'd rather be poor and just a regular Joe.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:00 AM

863 posts, read 2,784,234 times
Quote:
TASTE OF CHICAGO!!! I love the taste. I'm not being racist here so don't start on that crap, but the best part of the taste is that restaurants that are in areas one may not want to go into due to safety reasons will typically be at the taste where you can enjoy some really really good African American food. Ribs, rib tips, jerk chicken, the bbq pork, the bbq chicken, the brats, oooooh the giant watermellon, mmmm my mouth is watering already. I can't wait I can smell the grills going already.
All of those foods you mentioned can be found in restaurants and stores in non-black neighborhoods. In fact, I was walking through the store yesterday and saw...A WATERMELON!! I didn't know they sold those in white stores!

Old 05-07-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Can we think about the difference in logistics between giving a speech on a stage, guarded by bulletproof glass, and walking through a crowded street festival? Even with the easier to control Grant Park speech, the amount of money spent on security was in the millions, and required people to wait in checkpoint lines for hours.

What you're talking about hasn't a snowflakes chance in hell of happening. Don't you have better things to discuss anyways, like posting a Youtube video of a monkey smoking a cigarette to back up your argument that all monkeys smoke cigarettes?
Again all the videos are are examples, but Chicagoans prove once again to be big windbags by throwing up every excuse in the book as to why something such as roads without potholes and properly coordinated signals cannot be done, probably why this is "The Windy City" EH? Oh and smart ass answers only get me to post even more and P off people even further so keep it up.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeINIL View Post
All of those foods you mentioned can be found in restaurants and stores in non-black neighborhoods. In fact, I was walking through the store yesterday and saw...A WATERMELON!! I didn't know they sold those in white stores!
No kidding. I was wondering what all that was at Super Wal Mart, however I just love the flavor of their food and how they cook it, is there anything wrong with that? Ex Senator's Ribs and Chicken being a prime example.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:28 AM

569 posts, read 1,819,492 times
People mentioned most of them but here are a few obscure festivals... Rib fest I enjoyed last year even in the pouring rain. Also the Printer's Row book fest if that's your thing.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:31 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
I'd advise NOT going to Taste of Chicago. Its crowded and overpriced for no particular payoff (in quality food.) The only real reason to go is if you enjoy the spectacle of all the people crowded into Grant Park.

And you have the added risk of getting caught in gang crossfire.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:35 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,551 times
Mayfest in Lincoln Square is a fun neighborhood festival and one of the first of the summer, I believe in late May. Have some good German beer, a brat and dance to the polka.

Another fun one is Retro on Roscoe, July or Aug I believe. If you grew up in the 80's, you gotta go to see Hairbangers Ball which is usually the Saturday night headliner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago