Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 07:29 PM

504 posts, read 1,493,746 times

Advertisements

I'm going to ride my bike tomorrow from Hyde Park (around 58th/Woodlawn) to Albany Park (around Montrose/Pulaski). I want to get there around 5 so I'm a little concerned about how best to avoid streets with heavy traffic. The furthest north I've been on my bike is Logan Square and I have a complicated route there that I've taken several times through Bridgeport and Ukrainian Village. So maybe it would be smart to go to Logan Square first and then find my way up from there. Anyway I would think traffic would be calmer on the West and Northwest side, as opposed to going straight up through downtown and the North side.

Also, I could take the lake front path for the majority of the trip, but I'm a little sick of that ride. I'd rather go through neighborhoods. But if I did do that, where would I get off? Right at Montrose? Or at Lawrence? I have a city bike map that says there's a marked bike lane down most of Lawrence. On the other hand, I've walked down Lawrence and it seems really busy with cars. So maybe it's not a great bike route.

I also looked at taking Elston, which supposedly has bike lanes as well, but that road seems like it might be pretty treacherous around 5pm. Do a lot of bikers go up Elston?

Any cyclists on here? What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 07:31 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times
Queue Jesse69. You might learn about more than just a preferred route though.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:39 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Just hug the lake all the way to Montrose and then go west. Taking any other route is almost a suicide mission.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Just hug the lake all the way to Montrose and then go west. Taking any other route is almost a suicide mission.
I am pretty confident on my bike, despite what my post sounds like. I don't mind the route to Logan Square and for example I regularly use Halsted St everywhere between 71st and Belmont. But I might end up taking your advice here.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:05 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
...I don't mind the route to Logan Square and for example I regularly use Halsted St everywhere between 71st and Belmont. But I might end up taking your advice here.
Remember there is Cubs Game at 7:05. That is another reason to avoid Halsted north of North Ave tomorrow night.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Remember there is Cubs Game at 7:05. That is another reason to avoid Halsted north of North Ave tomorrow night.
GOOD call. I didn't think about that.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:22 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Lawrence is a pain in the ass for bikes, especially West of Broadway and, especially, Ashland. Montrose is better.

When I ride from Lincoln Square to the Loop, I like Lincoln South to where it hits Clark, and then Clark south until things get dicey. Then any street that seems the least deadly that day. Either that or down Lincoln to Halsted, then down Halsted to Milwaukee, thover to Kinzie, then down Clinton to Lake and straight East on Lake to my company's office over in the Illinois Center.

I don't know if any of that helps. I rarely bike south of the South Loop unless I'm on the lake path.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:27 PM

264 posts, read 716,790 times
dont get hit by a car!

Old 05-11-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I don't know if any of that helps. I rarely bike south of the South Loop unless I'm on the lake path.
Yeah, that's actually very helpful. I'm the opposite: I know the best places to ride on the south side (it's pretty much all good--King Dr and Drexel Blvd are especially nice) but I rarely go through the north side on my bike.

Maybe I will take Lincoln ave to Montrose tomorrow.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:50 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,574 times
Seriously, the one time you might want Jesse he is nowhere to be found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago