Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 09:26 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times

Advertisements

As many of you know, this is the second year in a row that a play that started in Chicago has won the Pulitzer. Ruined got it's start at the Goodman Theater, and became a sensation. Last year it was August: Osage County, which premiered at the Steppenwolf.

Chicago's theater scene hasn't seen this kind of buzz since David Mamet left, and this recent activity has helped solidify the Chicago theater scene behind New York's as the second most vibrant and creative in the nation. Travel and Leisure Magazine has ranked us second as well.

America's Favorite Cities 2008 | Culture | Theater | Travel + Leisure (http://www.travelandleisure.com/afc/2008/category/4/subcategory/18 - broken link)

If you haven't supported Chicago's theater community in the past, this is a great time to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 09:35 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
I'm sure Dementor will show up soon and educate us on why none of this matters and Chicago still sucks.

In all seriousness, now that our kid is a bit older, I need to go check out some of the cultural attractions. Been meaning to go see some live theater.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:57 AM

Screw "dementor". His ignorance is astounding.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:07 AM

725 posts, read 1,849,631 times
I am learning a lot about the theater scene here because of my job. There really is a vibrant theater scene - and a lot of quality smaller theaters. Check out the Greenhouse Theaters which used to share space until Victory gardens moved into the old Biograph Theater. There's Eclipse which shows plays from the same playwright all season, MPAACT which has African-American theme plays, Victory Gardens, and Shattered Globe.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:11 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
The small, storefront theatre is what gives Chicago's theatre scene its vibrancy, I'd say. The Guardian in the UK ruffled a lot of feathers back in 2004 when it ran this piece: America's liveliest theatre is in Chicago | Stage | The Guardian

In the end, it's about money. Chicago audiences are famously daring and willing to give new shows a chance. That's why Broadway shows like Spamalot premiered here and then moved to NYC.

Shows are EXPENSIVE to produce in NYC, and far less so in Chicago. Furthermore, a HUGE number of the theatre-goers in NYC aren't from NYC. A heck of a lot of them are from out of town and want a safe bet.

It's the same with restaurants in Chicago.

So let the Dementors of the world moan. The Pulitzers (and the Tonys, by the way) speak for themselves.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:24 PM

I'll just continue by saying that this is not a new phenomenon in the theater world. Here's an article from 2002 on theatre in Chicago from the NYT: ARTS IN AMERICA; Chicago, That Tony-Nomination-Garnering Town - The New York Times

Now, this article mentions an important point. It's a lot harder to be a WORKING actor in Chicago than it is in NYC (or LA), but it's an EXCELLENT place to hone your craft. Actor friends of mine that moved from Chicago to NYC or LA say their Chicago training and experience has gotten them some pretty strong props from casting directors, etc.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:54 PM

Los Angeles actually has a pretty lousy theater scene for it's size. But of course, it's the entertainment capital of the world because of television and movies.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Los Angeles actually has a pretty lousy theater scene for it's size. But of course, it's the entertainment capital of the world because of television and movies.
Yes, I should clarify that it's easier to be a working actor in LA, but NOT easier to be a working stage actor. Still, it's easier to supplement your career with TV,film, commercials, etc. out there.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:02 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
Chicago has the most talented actors in the nation. It is so far ahead of any possible competition that there is no one in second place.

I used to pride myself on being heavily involved in the theatre scene, and to a degree still am as a benefactress. However, far and away Chicago cultivates the brightest talent for the best plays. Independent theatre thrives in Chicago, and thank god; it was my television

Old 05-13-2009, 07:03 PM

Tracy Letts (who wrote August: Osage County) has another play at the Steppenwolf that will be heading to Broadway soon. It's called Superior Donuts, and it is set in an actual Uptown dougnut shop that closed a few years ago. Maybe we can extend our Chicago Pulitzer streak to three! Regardless, she is a great talent, and we should all support her plays at the Steppenwolf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: