U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 03:04 PM

9 posts, read 26,673 times

Advertisements

I am looking at an apartment in wicker park area and the place seems pretty nice on the inside and rent is reasonable enough. The only vice is that it is a ground level apartment.

How safe is it to be living in a ground level apartment close to the N Paulina and Blackhawk intersection? Should I be worried at all, surely I wont be the first person to live in a ground floor apartment in the neighborhood?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 03:08 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,189,291 times
keep the windows covered & don't leave computer/electronics boxes out in your alley (why do people do this?) & you'll be no better or worse than anyone else imo.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:10 PM

12,063 posts, read 29,638,541 times
What's the price? I think they can be worth it, but I'd want a decent price adjustment. You also have to think about flooding

What's your budget? I know that's not quite the point, but next door to me (North/Winchester) is a basement apt for rent and it's owner occupied and nicely maintained -- $900/month -- and I'm pretty sure it's a 2 BR

Old 05-13-2009, 03:19 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,085,335 times
I live in a ground floor storefront unit. There were bars on the windows when I moved in so I wasn't worried about that but I did install a 2x4 wooden barricade on the inside of the front and kitchen doors leading out. Both obviously open inward. It was a cheap (both cost me then than $12 to buy and install) piece of mind for me and I live in a neighborhood with about the same safety levels as WP.

Flooding seems to be an issue in garden/basement units much more so than ground floor units. I have never had any flooding issues whatsoever.

ETA: Get good bug spray. Lately I've seen millipedes the size of my head.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:21 PM

This is a good question -- is it a true first floor, true garden (only partially below grade) or a true basement -- landlords tend to use these interchangeably.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:31 PM

9 posts, read 26,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
What's the price? I think they can be worth it, but I'd want a decent price adjustment. You also have to think about flooding

What's your budget? I know that's not quite the point, but next door to me (North/Winchester) is a basement apt for rent and it's owner occupied and nicely maintained -- $900/month -- and I'm pretty sure it's a 2 BR
its a 2br but its pretty nice inside, appliances are pretty new and bathrooms are recently remodeled. rent is 1350, which in light of the ground apartment thing is i suppose too high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
This is a good question -- is it a true first floor, true garden (only partially below grade) or a true basement -- landlords tend to use these interchangeably.
It looks at least partially below sidewalk level. I assume that should make flooding an issue?

Old 05-13-2009, 03:37 PM

Yes, that can be a concern, but it's not necessarily. Not all basement apts flood, but some definitely do. I would go over there today if you can and see where rain is puddling.

So the place is probably not quite condo quality but nicer than your typical vintage in a great location and a garden huh? I'd say that 1350 might be just a bit high -- Do you have parking or a W/D?

Old 05-13-2009, 03:38 PM

Wait ... scratch that .. it's a two bathroom? If so, then it's worth every penny of 1350.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:38 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,085,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kckal View Post
its a 2br but its pretty nice inside, appliances are pretty new and bathrooms are recently remodeled. rent is 1350, which in light of the ground apartment thing is i suppose too high.

It looks at least partially below sidewalk level. I assume that should make flooding an issue?
In this case I would think the landlord is overcharging. Is there a W/D in unit or parking included? If not it's definitely time to renegotiate or look for another place. The $900 unit near our humble moderatrix is starting to sound like a great deal.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:41 PM

425 posts, read 1,350,747 times
I have a garden apartment not too far from there (Wabansia & Winchester) and I have had no problems at all, living here going on 6 months now. No real bug issues--although I should qualify this by saying that at my apartment in Austin, TX it wasn't uncommon to have scorpions, tarantulas, and small snakes inside, so a few roaches, ants, or random insects don't really bother me. I have never felt unsafe and no water has gotten into my apartment yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: