Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 04:22 AM

204 posts, read 761,517 times

Advertisements

Is this a never ending cycle???? Everything that was once free or cheap is either becoming not free or not cheap!! They say its only a dollar an hour. Yea sure. They say that now but next year or in two years when the economy is still in the dumps they will raise it again for their claim that raising it will stop layoffs from happening. Chicago is a joke these days. Everything about it. The shootings that happen everyday, the ethnic neighborhoods being destroyed by condos that are way overpriced, the sales tax, the cost it is to live here, the cost it is to buy a house, the cost of public transportation, the cost to visit the museums and the COST to park anywhere in this god forsaken city. It makes me sick. My bet is when the new census comes out, population has been lost in this once great city. Nobody wants to live here anymore. And I dont blame them.

Free lakefront parking to end - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/05/free-lakefront-parking-to-end.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 05:54 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Because this was the first place that ever charged for lakefront parking? Because a car is the only way to get to the beaches here?

Have you ever been to South Haven, MI? You can't park at any of their beaches for free, and that's a little town.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:48 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Because this was the first place that ever charged for lakefront parking? Because a car is the only way to get to the beaches here?

Have you ever been to South Haven, MI? You can't park at any of their beaches for free, and that's a little town.
Well, this sucks for me as I live right by Loyola Beach and generally park my car overnight in the Parking lot. They are in the process of turning the meters here into LAZ meters.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:15 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post

It's the best way for a family and all their baggage to get down there to spend the day grilling and hanging out, you know, the whole family thing.

We used to get free parking and now we won't, that's taking something away from us. It's reasonable enough to not like having things taken away from you.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:44 AM

894 posts, read 2,381,526 times
time to vote out Daley and company

Old 05-16-2009, 09:27 AM

98 posts, read 345,188 times
[quote=scottl333;8835833]Is this a never ending cycle???? Everything that was once free or cheap is either becoming not free or not cheap!! They say its only a dollar an hour. Yea sure. They say that now but next year or in two years when the economy is still in the dumps they will raise it again for their claim that raising it will stop layoffs from happening. Chicago is a joke these days. Everything about it. The shootings that happen everyday, the ethnic neighborhoods being destroyed by condos that are way overpriced, the sales tax, the cost it is to live here, the cost it is to buy a house, the cost of public transportation, the cost to visit the museums and the COST to park anywhere in this god forsaken city. It makes me sick. My bet is when the new census comes out, population has been lost in this once great city. Nobody wants to live here anymore. And I dont blame them.

Dollar an hour sounds pretty good to me. First, spending $4 to have beach access for 4 hours for bbq'ing or recreational activities is fantastic, cheap entertainment. Second, it will keep all those people from using the parking as residential, they park, walk under LSD to their home--sometimes leaving their car there for days.

I can't comment on your assertion that condos are destroying neiborhoods. It would seem to me that development bringing more tax revenue to a community, would be a good thing. And as far as prices go, they are pretty attractive right now. Try living in any other comparable metropolis and finding a nice 2B/2B for under 250k! Of course I'm not talking about LP, but there are so many reasonably priced neighborhoods. Of course if you are looking for a SFH for that price, Chicago is probably not for you, there is a forum for Chicagoland/suburbs.

Sales tax is high, I agree. Just high enough for me to buy groceries but put off big ticket purchases, or make them online or in Indiana.

Crime/Schools, need work. If there was one reason I left Chicago, it would be for good schools in a burb or elsewhere. Though it does irk me when I pay my property tax bill, I am factoring the cost of private into my son's future.

Public trans is still relatively inexpensive imo. I spend about $1,000 per year pretax for a cta card i can use whenever, whereever. I have (though do not need) a car which I pay insurance and a parking spot at $125 per month. My total transportation expenses (my car is paid off)including gas runs about $4,000/year. I'd say that is pretty good, MSN had an article this year about cost of transportation, and I think 4k was below average. There are a lot of add-ons with meters/stickers/permits/tickets/tags/tolls, etc, and was a real headache in the past when I paid less attention to the auto laws. But if you are conservative when and where you park, those seem to not be much of an issue anymore.

My only complaint is harsh winter, but that is something I don't belive, though could be wrong, our politicians don't have control over.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:49 PM

170 posts, read 535,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
It's the best way for a family and all their baggage to get down there to spend the day grilling and hanging out, you know, the whole family thing.

We used to get free parking and now we won't, that's taking something away from us. It's reasonable enough to not like having things taken away from you.
Not to mention that nobody would quite like it if I lug my dog onto a bus to take him to the dog beach.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:02 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,558 times
This sucks.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:12 PM

264 posts, read 716,790 times
the museum price is going down. i think the city is trying to make us go car-less and all move downtown. I think its a good idea, but I dont think itll work, at least not until these condows and apartments lower their prices to average peoples budgets.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:40 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Yes. This sucks. Daley has jumped the shark and needs to go. The LAZ deal was terrible, and I, for one, have written my alderman to let him know that, as he supported this and other very bad ideas, he'll never get my vote again.

HOWEVER: It also sucks that some posters on this board look for constant reasons to declare that Chicago sucks. Every place has its problems.

OP: You seem unhappy here. Why not find someplace that you enjoy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago