Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 04:33 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,035 times

Advertisements

Ok guys and gals, let's keep talking about the warmth (or lack their of) in Chicago or this will be shut down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 05:15 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Right on. So, yeah, speaking as someone FROM a WARM place, chicago is cold and gloomy for a lot of the winter, but there's TONS to do that help it remain an EXCELLENT place to live.

furthermore, I NEVER appreciated summer until I lived through a Chicago winter. The sky had never been bluer, or the sun warmer. I'd never been so happy to see a green tree or relax on the beach. Summers here are my favorite.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:04 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Has not the weather been the topic in like 934 threads in this forum alone? Jesus, do a search of the forum...

We are close to the end of Spring and the beginning of Summer.

The last thing in the world I want to talk or think about for the next five months is winter.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:56 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
I have my Lexus AWD SUV with ESC and all last winter while I was driving I was like, "Its snowing? I didn't even realize that, I'll just warm up here and relax in my heated seats while everyone else is scared S-less in their little S-boxes sliding all over the place and getting stuck at all the red lights" LOL! The technology in that SUV is amazing with how it won't let itself slide, it stops great, and it's actually challenging to try to get it stuck, so like you said, after the plow would come by and block my garage with a snow pile basically bumper height, my neighbors would have to shovel themselves out, I would just throw on the snow button, put it in drive and just go right over the snow like nothing. LOL I loved seeing how pissed my neighbors were that I could just get right out like that, while they were farting around trying to get their Neons and Focuses out. LOL! This is Chicago folks, you need a vehicle that can handle our weather because it can be challenging at times. Little cars 3 inches off the ground just won't work here. This is truck and SUV country here.
I have a Focus ZX3! If I move to Chicago I won't even bother bringing it though. I'll just sell it. Everyone I have talked to says that a car isn't necessary near Northwestern and that I can just take public transpotation easily. Then, if I decide to stay in Chicago, I will either live in downtown since I love urban places or buy a cheaper AWD or 4WD vehicle.

I actually don't like the weather of coastal Los Angeles. Call me crazy, but i don't. It's way too monotonous. Highs are in the upper 50s to the mid 70s almost every single day of the year. It gets really boring after a while when other places are getting lows in the 30s or even 20s in the deserts and summer highs in the 100s.

So it seems like I will probably be able to handle it. I'll just have to buy some nice winter jackets. I actually love winter jackets and hats but it doesn't cold enough here to wear them. LOL.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:31 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
I took the L. Every day. Sometimes I splurged and took a cab, but for the most part... What's all this talk about driving? It's Chicago. You just left California! Owning a vehicle was by far the most negative and miserable experience I've ever had, and it was a necessity because I moved Chicago----->Los Angeles.

So, yeah. It's doable. Granted, I grew up in a cold climate and knew what to expect. I'll be completely honest, I don't know that I could move back to Chicago-- LA, with all of its drawbacks, just has stunning weather. The sun is what I need the most, I have severe SAD.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:40 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
I love the 80's.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:52 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
I came from Escondido 1990-1991, so trust me I know what you will be going through. With Chicago, it's not the cold that is the problem, it's the extended doom and gloom of continual cloudy weather kind of like Portland or Seattle's weather all winter long .
I used to think you were a pretty smart and credible person, but then you spew up crap like that!

We average 45-50% sunshine in winter. Do the math... its basically one out of 2 days that are sunny. Seattle gets down to 25% sunshine in winter. Not to mention the constant drizzle/light rain. Sure it doesnt get too terribly cold there (cold though), but cmon.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corriellen View Post
Yeah the winter was bad this year. That's what everybody has been telling me. But I understand that planet earth is at a low point on an 11 year temp cycle. There are virtually no sunspots. I just moved here from georgia and I've got to say that it's harsh. But when the temps rise then the numerous activities, festivals and gardens make up for it. Especially if you live in the right area.

The thing that gets me is that it was overcast about 5 out of 7 days this winter. talk about depressing. I felt like I was in England. I can handle the cold but, the lack of sun was a winter depression nightmare. People have told me that it was an unusually overcast winter too. Is this true?

I bought a parka lined with the warmest material per weight available. Problem, my body would sweat and my face would freeze. It only felt
comfortable at about 5 degrees and below temps. I'm gonna have to invest in a new jacket.
Do you people really not pay attention to anything but the bad weather around here? There were plenty of sunny days this winter. Believe it or not, February had 16 days of mostly sunny days, 5 partly sunny days. THATS AVERAGE! We kicked it off with ridiculously cold weather, but the sunshine was glorious and was around for 7+ days at a time at the beginning and then sporadic afterwords.
History : Weather Underground

January? Same. 7+ days/stretches of cloudless skies, sporadic sunny days followed:
History : Weather Underground

Old 05-18-2009, 10:06 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Uh-oh, Steve-O found his way to a weather thread... all bets are off.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
I have my Lexus AWD SUV with ESC and all last winter while I was driving I was like, "Its snowing? I didn't even realize that, I'll just warm up here and relax in my heated seats while everyone else is scared S-less in their little S-boxes sliding all over the place and getting stuck at all the red lights" LOL! The technology in that SUV is amazing with how it won't let itself slide, it stops great, and it's actually challenging to try to get it stuck, so like you said, after the plow would come by and block my garage with a snow pile basically bumper height, my neighbors would have to shovel themselves out, I would just throw on the snow button, put it in drive and just go right over the snow like nothing. LOL I loved seeing how pissed my neighbors were that I could just get right out like that, while they were farting around trying to get their Neons and Focuses out. LOL! This is Chicago folks, you need a vehicle that can handle our weather because it can be challenging at times. Little cars 3 inches off the ground just won't work here. This is truck and SUV country here.
Quite possibly the dumbest post Ive ever read. Not to mention snobby.

So, tell me, what kind of Lexus SUV do you have (no research allowed sir)? Bottom line? SUVs are for people who are afraid of snow and have absolutely no driving skills whatsoever and want their vehicles to do the thinking for them. Weak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago