Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 11:31 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,382,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I couldn't tell for sure, but that area looked more neighborhood-ish.
That vid was of North Ave right in front of Piper's Alley, where Second City is.

North and Wells-ish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 07:34 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,508,487 times
Well considering that the OP is from Southern Cal, I'd say that that video is perfect for them to watch. No its not a snowstorm, to us it's just another day (heck try experiencing a Nor-easter, it will make Chicago's WORST snowstorm look like PU$$Y s_ _t), but when I'd have family visit me from Poway, CA, they'd come back here and look at exactly the type and depth of the snow in the video and freak out from it. Point is, that while that was only a flurry in my example, to some it's a blizzard and those are the people who shouldn't move here because if they do, they will be miserable. Now, I could have shown a "REAL" Chicago snowstorm, but I don't want to scare away everyone.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:11 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
No its not a snowstorm, to us it's just another day
I'm calling B.S. on that statement. That is far from a typical winter day in Chicago, and would qualify easily as a snow storm that people would complain heavily about. It's rare that our snow storms are worse than that, actually. Maybe once or twice a year.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I'm calling B.S. on that statement. That is far from a typical winter day in Chicago, and would qualify easily as a snow storm that people would complain heavily about. It's rare that our snow storms are worse than that, actually. Maybe once or twice a year.
The numbers don't support the idea that snow is an everyday thing in Chicago. It's not RARE, but it's not everyday, either.

According to NOAA numbers for 1971-2000, Chicago averages 38 inches a year of snowfall. Chicagos Snowfall Statistics

Even if all that snow fell during the coldest part of winter (say, December 15-March 15), you'd be talking about 4/10 of an inch of snow per day.

In fact, we generally get maybe a half-dozen sizable snowfalls and dustings fill out the remainder. The snow sticks around in dirty piles, but it's disingenuous to say that we get a substantial snowfall on a daily basis all winter.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Thats a snowstorm to you? Light snow, fog, and 3 inches of slush and slop on the ground? WOW BRO is all I can say. I don't stick up for Chicago, but really that is an average day here. Grey, damp, about 35 degrees, about 2-4 inches of snow. Saw that type of snow happen about a dozen times past two seasons between Christmas and St. Patty's Day. It does happen here and those are the storms everyone who is from here forgets about. Now the New Years storm of 1999 I think it was where we got some 26 inches of snow, and the Valentines Day storm of 1990 that hit right during the evening rush, now that I remember.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Thats a snowstorm to you? Light snow, fog, and 3 inches of slush and slop on the ground? WOW BRO is all I can say. I don't stick up for Chicago, but really that is an average day here. Grey, damp, about 35 degrees, about 2-4 inches of snow. Saw that happen about a dozen times past two seasons between Christmas and St. Patty's Day. It does happen here and those are the storms everyone who is from here forgets about. Now the New Years storm of 1999 I think it was where we got some 26 inches of snow, now that I remember.
"A dozen times between christmas and st patty's" isn't "an average day". There are 81 days between Xmas and St Patty's. 12 out of 81 isn't average.

Is it common? Sure. Is it expected? Yep. Is it "average?" Nope.

I know that seems like it's arguing semantics, but precision is important to me.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:47 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
That looked like about three or four inches of snow, and it seemed to still be coming down. The sidewalks were covered and had fresh footprints. To say that's typical day is just not accurate. The majority of winter days have clear or partly cloudy skies, and 90% of the time the sidewalks are clear.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:50 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Default I guess that this is the difference..

..between the drier Midwest and the moist Northeast. Here in Boston, we tend to have at least 3-4 snowfalls of at least 10-12 inches each year, 1-2 of them being 15+. Your temperatures are a little lower than ours, but we seem to get more snowfall.Northern NE gets both low temperatures and heavy snowfall, however.

For the would-be Northwestern student, I wouldn't worry too much about this. I'm sure that the school will be doing all your shoveling for you. Just buy a parka...

Old 05-21-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
"A dozen times between christmas and st patty's" isn't "an average day". There are 81 days between Xmas and St Patty's. 12 out of 81 isn't average.

Is it common? Sure. Is it expected? Yep. Is it "average?" Nope.

I know that seems like it's arguing semantics, but precision is important to me.
Except how long through that period of time is snow on the ground for? HMMMMM? Care to watch the live cam feed on weatherbug and count the amount of days over the past 365 days for lets say one of the good cams on there would be Park Ridge or the Hoffman Estates cam where the cams are usually pointed at the ground. Yes, you are correct 12 out of 81 is hardly an average however how many of those 81 days usually have snow on the ground? Maybe half. And how many of them are grey and miserable. Usually most. Since you have to be a member of weatherbug to use the cam feature perhaps sign up and pick a cam and click the 365 feature. Its a neat feature to watch just how often the weather here is rather "unpleasant" lets say during the winter months. It's this camera, but it won't give you the past year on here but on weatherbug it will. http://weather.weatherbug.com/IL/Pro...era_animate=30 There's no arguing with a camera. Sorry!

Old 05-21-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Except how long through that period of time is snow on the ground for? HMMMMM? Care to watch the live cam feed on weatherbug and count the amount of days over the past 365 days for lets say one of the good cams on there would be Park Ridge or the Hoffman Estates cam where the cams are usually pointed at the ground. Yes, you are correct 12 out of 81 is hardly an average however how many of those 81 days usually have snow on the ground? Maybe half. And how many of them are grey and miserable. Usually most. Since you have to be a member of weatherbug to use the cam feature perhaps sign up and pick a cam and click the 365 feature. Its a neat feature to watch just how often the weather here is rather "unpleasant" lets say during the winter months. It's this camera, but it won't give you the past year on here but on weatherbug it will. Prospect Heights, IL Weather Cams from WeatherBug.com There's no arguing with a camera. Sorry!
Which is exactly why I said "In fact, we generally get maybe a half-dozen sizable snowfalls and dustings fill out the remainder. The snow sticks around in dirty piles, but it's disingenuous to say that we get a substantial snowfall on a daily basis all winter."

Even those gross grey days don't look like the video you posted.

I haven't the foggiest idea what you're trying to prove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago