Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 09:36 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,073,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyPants View Post
Most Mexican immigrants in Chicago are from rural areas, not large cities. Sort of country bumpkins if you will. So yeah, Pilsen would not resemble Guadalajara.
Yeah, we're I'm from they're called "cholos".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 09:37 PM

where, not we're

Old 06-29-2009, 10:05 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,443,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Yeah, we're I'm from they're called "cholos".
Um no. Cholas/os/Chonga: Urban Dictionary: chola

Definitely not bumpkin types. Actually, aside from gelled curls, Cholas share no commonalities to actual Mexicans in Mexico. Every time I have ever visited family there the only Cholas I saw were the ones that drove down from Texas to save money shopping.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:25 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
The talk about "light-skinned Hispanics" kind of floors me, since the term "Hispanic" is really a very broad umbrella including people with all mixtures of European, Native American (several tribes and civilizations), and African ancestry. So a "light-skinned Hispanic" could actually be, well, white for lack of a better term. Plenty of Mexicans in the upper classes have almost 100% Spanish ancestry. I've known several Latin Americans with light brown or blonde hair (non-dyed). So yeah, a Spaniard could look quite a bit like an Italian.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:39 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,443,343 times
^^I think that is in part why the term Latino has gained favor in recent years. I have always considered Spaniards to be white, especially since light hair/eyes is much more common to Spaniards then in their mixed ancestry descendants in Latin America/Caribbean.

The upper class citizens in most Central and South American countries tend to be of lighter complexion also because darker skin is shunned (however subconsciously) just like in India. The indigenous peoples were generally thought to be the lowest rung of society but I think that that is finally starting to turn a corner with the election of an indigenous president in Bolivia and the peoples civil movements that have been taking place in recent years.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:42 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,044 times
My friend's Puerto Rican husband actually lookes very Slavic. The kids in his neighborhood used to call him "Polaco" when he was growing up.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:52 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
^^I think that is in part why the term Latino has gained favor in recent years. I have always considered Spaniards to be white, especially since light hair/eyes is much more common to Spaniards then in their mixed ancestry descendants in Latin America/Caribbean.

The upper class citizens in most Central and South American countries tend to be of lighter complexion also because darker skin is shunned (however subconsciously) just like in India. The indigenous peoples were generally thought to be the lowest rung of society but I think that that is finally starting to turn a corner with the election of an indigenous president in Bolivia and the peoples civil movements that have been taking place in recent years.
I've railed about this before and I'll do it again: "Latino" or "Hispanic" is such a contrivance to begin with, even by the standards of contrived racial/ethnic designations. I have no use for an ethnic designation that puts Cameron Diaz and Jessica Alba and people whose ancestors arrived here from Spain 300 years ago in the same classification as someone who is 3/4ths first-nations, just arrived here last April, and was a 4th-class citizen in his home country. Or lumps that poor guy in with one of my classmates who is considered Hispanic because parents were from Argentina even though he has blond hair, blue eyes, and a German surname.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:24 AM

that's hilarious. Those definitions have nothing to do with the central american meaning -- an Indio from the mountains who is unsophisticated, etc. The term is then extended beyond that as somewhat of an insult (depending on how you take it).

Quote:
Um no. Cholas/os/Chonga: Urban Dictionary: chola

Definitely not bumpkin types. Actually, aside from gelled curls, Cholas share no commonalities to actual Mexicans in Mexico. Every time I have ever visited family there the only Cholas I saw were the ones that drove down from Texas to save money shopping.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:25 AM

Thank you, Drover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I've railed about this before and I'll do it again: "Latino" or "Hispanic" is such a contrivance to begin with, even by the standards of contrived racial/ethnic designations. I have no use for an ethnic designation that puts Cameron Diaz and Jessica Alba and people whose ancestors arrived here from Spain 300 years ago in the same classification as someone who is 3/4ths first-nations, just arrived here last April, and was a 4th-class citizen in his home country. Or lumps that poor guy in with one of my classmates who is considered Hispanic because parents were from Argentina even though he has blond hair, blue eyes, and a German surname.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:27 AM

There is nothing subconscious about it. People openly talk about the shade of everyone's skin any opportunity they get. It's an obsession. It's also one of the main reasons I get embarrassed bringing U.S.-born friends with me when I visit.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago