Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 04:09 PM

21 posts, read 38,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
go for it..but your tenants might become targets
lol @ tenants becoming targets but seriously is that real or just hype?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 04:09 PM

894 posts, read 2,381,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Even Oakland seems to have turned the corner, and it was living hell at its worst.
oakland is still kind of rough...

Old 05-18-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigslick1 View Post
lol @ tenants becoming targets but seriously is that real or just hype?

think about it...you move into a blighted neighborhood and since they are college students and grads and will have jobs they will work and have pretty good income; what do you think will happen to them

Old 05-18-2009, 04:11 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,075,642 times
It's irrelevant because no U of C student is going to live by Rainbow Park. It's a stupid idea.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:13 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
BING! Clearly ajolotl has a much realistic view of the potential for an "investor property" in South Shore and some one else does not...

I mean seriously if you have to ask about tenants encountering violence this is NOT the place to shop!

Old 05-18-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
While you might be right in this case, overall you strike me as one ultra-paranoid dude.
im not paranaoid but growing up in hoods with gangs and having many friends in gangs i know there are some crazy dudes out there...

Old 05-18-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Do you mean U of C students? No, not really. Too many shootings and nasty crimes all around that area, and you'd need a car to get to Hyde Park anyhow. There is some motivation to live north of 71st but not that far south. Too many thugs.
no way!! really that many shootings? I have never been to Chicago. The best thing I know about Chicago is that hilarious TV show "married with children" al bundy still to this day cracks me up.
I am from NYC don't know too much about any where else except NC Charlotte they love nas car, I only know this because I used to work for Bank Of America and was frequently asked to report back to corporate for pow wows with the powers that be.
so you guys think I should just buy and hold onto that condo just as an investment? it only cost 8000 for 3 bd rm and 1.5 bath but needs serious work done to it maybe like 20,000 worth just to be habitable

Old 05-18-2009, 04:16 PM

click on this link..south shore is in the top 5 in crime on a monthly basis

Chicago crime data (formerly chicagocrime.org) | EveryBlock Chicago

Old 05-18-2009, 04:21 PM

Default thank you very much for the link chimack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
click on this link..south shore is in the top 5 in crime on a monthly basis

Chicago crime data (formerly chicagocrime.org) | EveryBlock Chicago
thanks so much for that link and omg!! people are insane in south shore murders and theft. its like the 80's again.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:32 PM

445 posts, read 1,344,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigslick1 View Post
so you guys think I should just buy and hold onto that condo just as an investment? it only cost 8000 for 3 bd rm and 1.5 bath but needs serious work done to it maybe like 20,000 worth just to be habitable
... BUT IT'S ONLY $8000 AND IT'S IN A LAKESIDE CITY NEIGHBORHOOD THAT HAS "SHORE" IN THE NAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW CAN I LOSE????

Seriously. Look at a Chicago demographics map some time, then ask yourself why this condo costs less than a really good watch.
I believe that some day, South Shore might come around but there are parts of it that never will, and it's not like South Shore changes will ever be something akin to the great downtown area Caucasian reclamations.

The best South Shore can ever hope for is that the lakefront will become a little enclave for idealistic college professors and white collar workers who like to prove how 'tolerant' they are by living in an unsafe black neighborhood- and even then, only along the lakefront. There are places in "South Shore" that are in no way related to the "shore" save for an abstract concept of proximity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago