Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 06:06 PM

393 posts, read 1,217,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumppo View Post
The Tangerine Tent in Romeoville was actually was run by the Lewis University theater department before they got to use a permanent structure at the university itself. I do not know all of the places it was set up, or if it was only set up in one place, but I do recall it set up near what is now the Robert C. Hall Elementary School. ( previously Park View) Back then in the late sixties, early seventies there was a field next to the school where the library is now, and the field from the school to Ace Hardware ( the Jewel Grocery was where the hardware store is now. was pretty much empty.
Mr. White, last I heard was the theater director at Lewis, acted in the Tangerine tent, if I recall correctly. The Theatre at Lewis would be the best place for more history on the Tangerine Tent.
Thanks for the info. I suspect it was a bit further south, or maybe my dad would drive us south after the plays to go to some eatery, because I remember being creeped out by a cemetery that was right by the road; this is it here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...263.55,,0,2.39
(give Google Street View a sec to load.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 12:45 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,525 times
Oh, that is so sad! I have many fond memories of Kiddieland!!!

I think so many people now just want someplace fancier, or someplace that's more fun for adults, so they go to Six Flags. Last time I was at Six Flags there were tons of people there with really little kids, I couldn't figure out why they'd go there instead of someplace where the little ones can have more fun like Kiddieland.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:36 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,616 times
i've only been to kiddieland once when i was a kid. cant beleive its closing!
oh well, at least six flags has rides for little kids.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:18 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,723,507 times
One of the great things about Kiddieland is that teenagers would rather be cuaght dead than hang out there, so it was much more child friendly than Six Flags. I went there as a child and took my kids there too. I'll miss it.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:21 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,238,078 times
They should replace it with a Six Flags

Old 05-29-2009, 09:32 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
I always wanted to go as a kid. Every time I would ask, my dad would say "I'm not taking you to ****tyland." Then he'd go on and on about how when he was my age, they had Riverview Park.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:07 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
The Little Dipper is going to Great America.

The Little Dipper, Kiddieland's Wooden Roller Coaster, Bought By Six Flags

Old 12-04-2009, 07:14 AM

4 posts, read 17,537 times
Intergalactic, That cemetery is next to and near three fields ( two of the fields now have buildings on them) that might have been used at one time for the Tangerine tent, the location I know of that held it for sure is about a mile or so from there. At the the time the big family restaurant to go to was "White Fence Farm" West of their, another three or four miles. It is still there and still popular, itself a locally historical spot. I wonder if that is the restaurant you refer to.

As an update, the Ace Hardware in the Route 66 Plaza is or has closed. I only visit once or twice a year, but like all things, the area is changing. That cemetery is still a little creepy though.
There was another little family cemetery that was hidden in a tree row next to Lewis university, that was very small. Unfortunately after a couple hundred years of respect, somebody came and destroyed the headstones and desecrated it. The plot had a small stone wall around it, so for the cemetery hunters around might still find it, but I don't know if it is worth a look.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:31 PM

732 posts, read 2,980,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
That ought to be interesting. Haven't been to Great America in about 20 years. My 2 1/2 yo loved the Little Dipper when we went to Kiddieland in September so maybe this will give us an excuse to hike up to Gurnee.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:19 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,244 times
It was sad seeing that lady who owned the place cry on the news. Having a failed business that was successful for so long can be traumatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago