Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 03:50 PM

3 posts, read 5,067 times

Advertisements

I'll be relocating to Chicago this summer and am getting a bit confused about certain areas and how 'safe' they are, especially when speaking about the west loop and south loop.

I'm liking the properties I see there and the more reasonable price compared to lincoln park, but I will have a dog and want to feel comfortable walking her early in the morning or at night. I'll also be a student at UoC, but will have a car to commute so pretty much any area I'm open to. I am a 27 yr old female, and may or may not have my husband with me when I move (due to the awful economy), so safety is a big concern for me. The one thing that turns me off about lincoln park/lakeview, the properties seem a bit old, and I can't afford the $$$$ to get a more updated rental unit.

Areas i've considered are: west loop, south loop, lincoln park, lakeview, bucktown

Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 06:44 PM

5 posts, read 10,868 times
I would live in Bucktown or Lakeview. The loop doesn't have much of a neighborhood feel and can get boring. Bucktown has a lot of restaurants, shops, bars, etc...

Most of the homes/apartments/condos in that area are nice. All of those neighborhoods are "trendy" so I don't think you would have to worry about a run down apartment.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:10 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,899 times
did you check out the first thread? it contains links to several threads about a bunch of different neighborhoods, including the ones you're interested in. this question comes up a lot and a quick search can find you the info you need. do a search on the various neighborhoods, dog friendly neighborhoods, and "safe" neighborhoods. it would also help to know a budget range

Old 05-23-2009, 10:15 PM

504 posts, read 1,493,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheidippides View Post
I would live in Bucktown or Lakeview. The loop doesn't have much of a neighborhood feel and can get boring. Bucktown has a lot of restaurants, shops, bars, etc...
Agree, but the commute from Bucktown to U of C by car (or even by the CTA) will be a beast.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:00 PM

3 posts, read 5,067 times
Thanks for the input everyone. Our price range is 1600-1900 depending on amenities. Ideally at least a 1+ bedroom, but a large 1 bedroom would be fine also. I'm finding a lot of available condos near the United Center, they all seem nice on the web but I'm assuming visiting them in-person will solidify things in regards to location. Lakeview/Bucktown would be ideal, but I'm not finding apartments with in-unit laundry. We sound picky, I know.

I've poked through the threads posted on top, really great resources. I guess the most confusing aspect is figuring out how west is the "west loop". Being near nightlife/restaurants would be nice but not necessary. If anyone has any last 2 cents I'd appreciate it! If not, thanks again for your help. Either way I'm so excited to move to Chicago - I can't wait to finally find a place!

JJ

Old 05-26-2009, 07:07 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
$1600-1900 should be plenty enough to get a 1 bedroom in a decent area.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:01 PM

413 posts, read 832,553 times
My wife goes to the U of C and we live at the very north portion of lakeview. Key is that we live right next to the Irving park Rd entrance to lakeshore so she can get on LSD easy. For the most part she makes it to school in under 20 minutes. Only time it takes longer is if she tries to come home during rush hour.

I would consider this area to be safe. We pay 1265 for a 2 bedroom. We have about 950 square feet. Good thing about this area of lakeview is that its a little cheaper. Our lease is up Aug 31 if your interested as we will be moving out since my wife is graduating.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:35 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,444,112 times
jj, we just went over the the west loop boundaries in a recent thread so you shouldn't have any problems finding it. i would not want to live near united center. i know there are a lot of beautiful new condos in that area but the fact that there is a glut of them on the market should give you some indication that it is not the most desirable of areas. you can definitely find a 2 bedroom or 1+office in your price range in Lakeview with laundry in-unit. you aren't asking too much you just have to hone your search a bit to find the gems. good luck!

Old 05-27-2009, 10:48 AM

126 posts, read 280,101 times
yup, if you want to live in west loop, I would suggest not get pass Ashland. Anything east of Ashland is pretty good.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:56 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
Do not live near the United Center if safety is tops on your concerns list. I know it has granite counter tops and shiny new hardwood floors, but it's just not worth it.

I think with you going to UofC and your price range that South Loop is clearly the easiest answer. You should be able to rent a very nice place with your budget (like maybe this place: 2BR/1BA South Loop w/ Garage Parking (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/1190227031.html - broken link)) and being on the red line will give you better access to the north side destination neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago