Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 12:31 PM

725 posts, read 1,841,011 times

Advertisements

I would love to do this, but not with my little boy. Actually, he loves trains - but I would like to know where we were going, have a destination in mind. I am planning on taking him downtown by train a lot this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 12:37 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,907,781 times
Having moved here a year ago I am disappointed in myself for not at all exploring the southside. Any recommendations for train stops or bus lines I could / should check out.

One place I know I want to explore is Pullman, but i have not had the chance.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:52 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,149,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I train-surf pretty frequently, mostly as a way to blow off steam after I've just finished a big project at school. I don't "bus-surf" as often because I don't have the patience for most buses as they lumber along at 9 miles an hour. Typically if I want to see a part of town I haven't seen yet or haven't seen recently, I get in my car and drive there. It gives me more time to explore the side streets and residential areas and what-not.

Same with me, when I city surf I usually drive in car; IMO its better and safer that way. So far I seen most of the southside, half of the westside. I haven't seen much of the Northside(except the obvious). Thanks to google streetview, I have an idea of what those neighborhoods I never been to look like.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:19 PM

863 posts, read 2,775,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
I would love to do this, but not with my little boy. Actually, he loves trains - but I would like to know where we were going, have a destination in mind. I am planning on taking him downtown by train a lot this summer.
I take my children with me because I don't want them be scared suburbanite kids who are scared to go into "the city". I have grown cousins that grew up in NWI who are still scared to drive into city limits. I'd like for my children to be street smart enough to be able to get around on their own without looking and acting like suburban tourists.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Having moved here a year ago I am disappointed in myself for not at all exploring the southside. Any recommendations for train stops or bus lines I could / should check out.

One place I know I want to explore is Pullman, but i have not had the chance.
It's easy to get there by train (Metra Electric -- Millennium Station to 115th/Kensington Station), but you really need to know exactly where you're going. Directly east of the train station is the Historic Pullman area and is ok to walk around (that area has a large police presence). However, you don't want to get lost anywhere west of the train station.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:30 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,135,306 times
I grew up around Fullerton and Kedzie. For decades I considered the entire South Side as part of a different planet. Starting in 1998 I developed a curiosity about the other part of Chicago and began to explore. Drove the Ryan way south, then returned north via Kedzie or Western. Also tried trips like Archer, 63rd street from lake to Harlem, and various other routes. Also had a thorough look at the U of C area.
Walking is also great. Several times I've walked from State/Monroe to Logan Square. From Fullerton/Kedzie to Western/Devon. Usually I like the side streets to see how people live in various areas and to notice the difference in architecture.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:35 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,907,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeINIL View Post
It's easy to get there by train (Metra Electric -- Millennium Station to 115th/Kensington Station), but you really need to know exactly where you're going. Directly east of the train station is the Historic Pullman area and is ok to walk around (that area has a large police presence). However, you don't want to get lost anywhere west of the train station.
Thanks for the heads up. Im pretty excited about checking it out.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
You're welcome. Again, though, be careful. Historic Pullman borders two of the roughest neighborhoods on the Southside: West Pullman and Roseland.

Last edited by skyeINIL; 05-26-2009 at 01:50 PM..

Old 05-26-2009, 02:02 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,420,525 times
Skip- a wonderful summer day excursion would be to take the metra down to 57th. walk to the Japanese gardens in the park by the lake and then take that long boulevard stroll along 59th past UofC to the fountain of time and then around Washington Park and on up 55th on the westside of the park to take the garfield green line back towards downtown. if you aren't yet tired it's worth a walk (i stress in the daylight hours) west to Sherman Park. It is a very nice Olmsted designed park that is a hidden gem in the neighborhood. From there the red line would be closer to head north again.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:06 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,420,525 times
Quote:
They also do walking tours of historic Pullman one Saturday every month in the summer. They are affordable and the guides seem very knowledgeable about the history of the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago