Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 08:47 AM

425 posts, read 1,436,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmahorn View Post
Thanks! That's exactly the type of information I was looking for.

I don't want to come off as a cynical ******* in regards to the 'frat boys'. Hell, I love to party and watch sports just as much as anyone. Some would probably label me a yuppy as well. Most of my friends from uni in Chicago are in the LP area. I would just prefer to be around people with similar creative/intellectual interests. From everything I have heard about 'Wicker Park / Bucktown', this seems like the place I could best find my niche upon first moving to the city.
Let's ease up on the "frat boys." Fraternity alumni make up most America's Fortune 500 executives and elected officials, not to mention that the national fraternity GPA is significantly higher than the national all-men's average, while at the same time completing very high amounts of community service. Not all of us "frat boys" spend every waking minute searching for our next party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 09:12 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
Let's ease up on the "frat boys." Fraternity alumni make up most America's Fortune 500 executives and elected officials........... .

Reason enough to not ease up on them.

It's funny when the privileged take umbrage.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:22 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,179 times
Frat boys - they cheated a lot in college!

Old 05-27-2009, 09:39 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Reason enough to not ease up on them.

It's funny when the privileged take umbrage.
What Tom said. Amazing how completely out of touch people can be - part of that whole "running the country" also means you frat folk are responsible for the mess the country is in now.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:52 AM

425 posts, read 1,436,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
What Tom said. Amazing how completely out of touch people can be - part of that whole "running the country" also means you frat folk are responsible for the mess the country is in now.
That may be true, but it doesn't change the fact that the OP is off-base in his opinions about fraternity members/alumni.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:09 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,032,275 times
Chicago has a real serious/business like vibe. Especially, compared to light, fun in the sun type of cities like Las Vegas or Miami. I would almost define the vibe as threatening like there is an underlying tone of "don't mess up in this city or you can meet your maker." This is comapred to other towns that I have been to and experienced their vibe, like Charlotte or Dallas for example.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
That may be true, but it doesn't change the fact that the OP is off-base in his opinions about fraternity members/alumni.
possibly, but I think he has a point about insularity.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:36 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,113 times
You seem to like Wicker Park/Bucktown, I would also suggest looking into Ukrainian Village and East Village, both of which border the south end of Wicker Park. The whole Wicker Park/Bucktown/Ukrainian Village area was the epicenter for creative arts in the late 80's and early 90's in Chicago. The area still has some of that going on, but the rents went up and the poorer artists had to move. Many went down to Pilsen, some went to Logan Square, some are in Humboldt Park and still some went way south to Bridgeport. But the ones who could afford to stay are still here, there's still stuff going on around the area and creative people still reside here.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:41 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,113 times
Also, if you went o get a feel for the vibe in these areas, visit them, walk around North Avenue, Milwaukee Avenue and Damen, then walk around Damen and Chicago avenue, stop in at Atomix on Chicago, Mercury Cafe on Chicago, the record stores... Dusty Groove on Ashland, Reckless on Milwaukee, Permanent Records on Chicago Avenue, walk down Division from Milwaukee to Damen, and a couple blocks further, you'll get a good idea of the neighborhood vibe.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
You seem to like Wicker Park/Bucktown, I would also suggest looking into Ukrainian Village and East Village, both of which border the south end of Wicker Park. The whole Wicker Park/Bucktown/Ukrainian Village area was the epicenter for creative arts in the late 80's and early 90's in Chicago. The area still has some of that going on, but the rents went up and the poorer artists had to move. Many went down to Pilsen, some went to Logan Square, some are in Humboldt Park and still some went way south to Bridgeport. But the ones who could afford to stay are still here, there's still stuff going on around the area and creative people still reside here.
well put. there's a lot of creative types in Avondale where I'm at (just north of Logan Square) as well, but we're far from a noticeable presence - which is good for us in the sense that rents/homes are reasonable, not so good in the sense that people are pretty spread out. I'm aware of a good 10 fellow "basement studio" musicians/bands within a mile or so, and I know the physical artists are mixed in as well.

you might like this, it's coming up soon:

Home - Metronome Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago