Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 04:42 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,653,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^^Wait, I assumed Indian American meant he's of Indian descent but an American citizen, not that he was a native American.

Ahh, when I saw "Indian American" I thought, saw it as, "American Indian".

So what, now we gotta watch we don't confuse Indians with Indians? Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 04:59 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,419,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
It's not called Bombay anymore but Mumbai. Now you learned two things today.
Yes, but would they have been Mumbaian in 1812? The popular favor in India among the older generations is still to call it Bombay, much like our precious Willis Tower.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:19 PM

328 posts, read 1,391,188 times
Default maybe western ave, but not wrigleyville

Quote:
Originally Posted by chigaros View Post
2) there are plenty of under 21 clubs. and a large majority of the bars do not card. go to wrigleyville or down to the south side on western avenue on a friday night. there will be huge amounts of people, and the bars just want to make money.
He might not get carded on Western Avenue, but he definitely will get carded in Wrigleyville. I live there, and every single bar on Clark I have been carded - hardcore. They tend to check out guys ideas harder then girls ID's especially. Even to get into Goose Island for dinner with my Mom I was carded....

I'm not sure where you went on Clark that didn't ID that was an actual bar, but it would be news to me...

Old 05-27-2009, 07:27 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,438,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaystraveling25 View Post
He might not get carded on Western Avenue, but he definitely will get carded in Wrigleyville. I live there, and every single bar on Clark I have been carded - hardcore. They tend to check out guys ideas harder then girls ID's especially. Even to get into Goose Island for dinner with my Mom I was carded....

I'm not sure where you went on Clark that didn't ID that was an actual bar, but it would be news to me...

You are pretty much right with the first part of your comment.

I know a couple that do not card too often at all on Clark, but I ain't sharing.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:30 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,438,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
Yes, but would they have been Mumbaian in 1812? The popular favor in India among the older generations is still to call it Bombay, much like our precious Willis Tower.
I believe Bombay's pre-British name is Mumbai and a few other variations on the same name.

The Portugese were in Mumbia before the British. They called it Bombaim. The English then anglicised it to Bombay.

"After the British gained possession in the 17th century, it was believed to be anglicised to Bombay from the Portuguese Bombaim,[8] although it was known as Mumbai or Mambai to Marathi and Gujarati-speakers, and as Bambai in Hindi, Persian and Urdu. It is sometimes still referred to by its older names, like Kakamuchee and Galajunkja."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumbai

So actually both names Bombay and Mumbia are correct to a point.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 05-27-2009 at 07:39 PM..

Old 05-27-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I believe Bombay's pre-British name is Mumbai and a few other variations on the same name.

The Portugese were in Mumbia before the British. They called it Bombaim. The English then anglicised it to Bombay.
I don't think the old timers are old enough to remember pre-colonial India. If so, I'd like to know that secret to longevity.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
I don't think the old timers are old enough to remember pre-colonial India. If so, I'd like to know that secret to longevity.

The Raj ended in what, 1946-47? There are many around who can remember then.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
The Raj ended in what, 1946-47? There are many around who can remember then.
Gosh Tom, your reading comprehension is off today. I said PRE-colonial.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Gosh Tom, your reading comprehension is off today.
Indeed it is.

I just like saying "the Raj". Like Raymond Massey as Gul Khan in "The Drum"----"It's an honor to inspect the forces of the Raj".

Old 05-27-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Indeed it is.

I just like saying "the Raj". Like Raymond Massey as Gul Khan in "The Drum"----"It's an honor to inspect the forces of the Raj".
As do I, but when it comes to anglo-saxon chauvinism and bigotry to supposed feeble ethnicities I prefer The Man Who Would be King to The Drum. But, take 'em as you like 'em Tom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago