Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 04:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,106 times

Advertisements

I am going to be a junior in college this coming fall, and really am looking into the future. I am pretty set on living in Chicago and working at one of the areas Catholic high schools as an assistant basketball coach at first, and ultimately a head coach. Ultimately I probably will want to settle down as a teacher at one of these high schools. But for quite some time after college I think I will use my degree (accounting) to make as decent an amount of money as I can (it would be pretty difficult to pay back my college loans and raise a family on the meager wages of a Catholic school teacher). So obviously I am looking for a good accounting firm to work for. The BIG 4 firms do not appeal to me because I have heard so many horror stories of 70 hour weeks and there is no way that I could serve as a basketball coach and work a 70 hour week.

So I need to know which accounting firms people would recommend for someone seeking (and be honest with me if there are not any):
-to be able to devote time from 3-6 to high school basketball team from nov-beginning of march
-pay between 47-60k to students coming out of college
-to be able to eventually make $100k-$150k
-to possibly be able to make over $250k as a partner over an extended period of time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 07:16 PM
mh7

102 posts, read 333,204 times
Hate to break the news to you, but what you are looking for does not exist.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:57 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
I concur. The path you wish to pursue sounds neat, and maybe in the mind of college junior the flaws are not obvious, but trust me there is no way you can plan out going from 47-60K to 100-150K and then 250K while also having a schedule with flexibility to coach. Heck I know guys that own their own businesses that could never get work in that kind of time.

My advice would be to do some more research. While you are absolutely correct that salaries for Catholic schools teachers are quite modest, you might be surprised at how different the story can be for PUBLIC school teachers. In fact the pat from starting teacher in the 40's to more experienced teacher with addtional credentials / administrator in the ranges you cite to superintendent that mught even exceed the top pay you cite is not unrealistic at all. While there is little demand for a teacher of accounting you could certainly refocus to have certificates in math, history, economics, or other subject areas. There is competition for the good slots in good districts and that includes a BB coaching thing as an "add on" as the vast majority of schools have "pay your dues" track for coaching the varsity, but these things are not that different than earning promotions in a professional services firm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago