U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 08:16 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 13,248,524 times

Advertisements

Last night I posted some links for housing examples that were removed just to give you an idea of what sort of housing and pricing that I was talking about. However, if you search craigslist you'll easily find them.

I understand that one is not to personally promote property, but this was not done in the context of personal gain, just to assist a newcomer in what sort of housing options she has. I know of no other way to reasonably give practical examples of local housing stock without, uh, giving practical examples of local housing stock.

Sometimes the moderation practices make me scratch my head in confusion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 08:37 AM

62 posts, read 188,566 times
One of the links you posted was great-I hadn't stumbled upon it on Craigslist but contacting that one is a HIGH priority. Thank you.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:01 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 13,248,524 times
Also, if you go to craigslist and type 'lincoln square' and do a 3 bedroom search, there are quite a few apartments under $2000, some of which look beautiful (and have things like in unit washer and dryer, etc)

Old 04-10-2007, 12:51 PM

38,704 posts, read 93,581,888 times
I've used Apartment People twice and I have no complaints about them. I am very picky about what I want in an apartment and both times they were rather patient with me. Also, I found that with a little persistence the WILL show apartments ONLY in the areas you tell them you're interested in looking. If you tell them you're looking near Jefferson Park, they will not try to show you broom-closet apartments in Lincoln Park. I also tried using some other place I can't remember the name of -- all I remember is their office was on Southport just north of Belmont -- and the agent was a snooty prick and never called us back to show us new listings after our first appointment. Maybe they were one of the "high-end" leasing agencies someone was talking about. By the way, it's not just big-time management companies that use Apartment People, though I'm sure that's the bulk of their business. Small-time mom-and-pop landlords use them too. The big management companies also post on Craig's List, so it's not like you're getting big-time management companies only at Apartment People, and mom-and-pop landlords only on Craig's List.

There are a couple of advantages to using Apartment People (or a similar organization) over using Craigslist; namely:

a) if you're visiting from out of town and need to see as many apartments as possible in your short visit window, Apartment People has pretty much instant access to every unit in their inventory, so they can show you several apartments per day. Trying to coordinate multiple showing with individual landlords in a short time via Craigslist can be nigh impossible

b) They have a large inventory of apartments that are not on Craigslist.

If you have time to shop around and you're nearby or in town, I'd use Craigslist and Apartment People (or someone similar) simultaneously. (BTW, another online resource for Chicago listings is Chicagoreader.com) But if you're visiting from out of town and only have a limited time, it's easiest to let an agency like Apartment People line up the showings for you.

Finally, j33 has hit on the fact that you're going to find more space for less money and consequently are going to be more likely to find something you're looking for in the upper Northwest neighborhoods. I still think Lincoln Square is a little on the dense side, especially compared to other Northwest neighborhoods; but it's not nearly as dense as Lincoln Park. Another area near Lincoln Square worth looking into is Albany Park. Yet another neighborhood worth looking into is Irving Park. I try not to sing the praises of my own neighborhood unless it's appropriate, especially since there's really nothing going on in this neighborhood. But it's similar in Jefferson Park in character and population density (which is low by north-side standards) but it's about 10 to 15 minutes closer to downtown and it's cheaper than Jefferson Park.

A promising Albany Park listing (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/308930632.html - broken link)

Nice looking listing (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/308622905.html - broken link) in Roscoe Village

Here's a listing (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/308540951.html - broken link) in my 'hood (well, a block and a half from my 'hood anyway) complete with parking and a dog run!

Here's a listing (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/307147561.html - broken link) across the street from a dog park and the landlord actually prefers petowners! It's a little off the beaten path as far as convenient transportation goes, however.

Last edited by Drover; 04-10-2007 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: Additional Info

Old 04-10-2007, 01:00 PM

38,704 posts, read 93,581,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownabs View Post
You know, I know I am splitting hairs, but that is not really "downtown". It's on North Michigan Avenue -- which is more shopping than commerce. He is right at the John Hancock building (it's the 2nd tallest building in Chicago).
<OT>
Third-tallest.
</OT>

Old 04-10-2007, 02:22 PM

62 posts, read 188,566 times
Oh-I have SO much looking to do! AAH!

I guess I should get in touch with somebody-either The Apartment People or similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago