Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 08:49 PM

62 posts, read 201,402 times

Advertisements

I have read lots of bad stuff about The Apartment People. Does anybody have any good recs?

Preferably one that works with the Suburbs, too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 09:10 PM

16 posts, read 118,488 times
I have done business with Apartment People. They did a decent job with me, but my girlfriend had a terrible time. They kinda push apartments where they have a lot of "inventory" or buildings they are familar with. For Lakeview/Lincoln Park, they do a LOT of business with Planned Properties. They didn't exactly get me any deal that I would have not gotten on my own.

I'm just curious, why don't you just use craigslist, or tell us (me) what you are looking for (price range, ammenties in neighborhood, type of building), and I'd be happy to recommend neighborhoods.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:15 PM

I have been using Craigslist...

I just want to pull my hair out. My fiance is already in Chicago. He started his job last Monday. I am left behind for now in Austin, TX. He is charged with looking but isn't going to have tons of time...anyway...before I digress further.

My wish list:
3 bedroom/2 bath
dogs-have a German Shorthaired pointer and a Lab
Central air/heat
Laundry preferably in unit-coin operated in basement is a deal breaker.
Reasonably close to transit-fiance works downtown, and I have no job until I get there. We would like to keep one of our cars. So parking or a garage would be nice.

We want to spend between 1500-1800 a month, and don't want to live 90 miles into the burbs as I am 30 and he is 41 and neither of us has a minivan or 2.5 kids. LOL.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:31 PM

Yeah, to be honest, I don't think Apartment People are going to help you. You are probably going to be better off with a higher end search company, one I have never done business with, but I am sure they are around. Like I said, Apartment People kinda pushes apartments where they know the commissions they will get. I think these types of places might cater to the $2000+ clientele, but I have no clue.

I think the place you will want will be owned by an individual owner that is looking to rent out their home. The reason I say this is because of your dogs and size of the home. You can probably find an apartment that would cater to this, but nowhere near the price range you are looking for.

Close to public transportation -- can you tell me the intersection he works around? The reason I ask is that there are a number of "brownstone" homes in the Lakeview/Lincoln Park area, but some neighborhoods are catered to by bus and some are by train. I live near a lot of these brownstones (greystones, whatever, same thing) and I'm on a huge bus route -- some are express busses which go from my neighbhorhood to downtown.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:42 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times
I think apartment people are used to dealing with younger people or people whose standards are a bit less exacting (I'm not sure how Austin is, but the rental housing stock in Chicago is a bit older and with that comes less luxuries, I'm still trying to find a place in my price range that has a closet in the bedroom, but that is what I get for renting 100+ year old apartments , so I'm not sure that you'd have much luck with them. I've used them in a pinch a couple of times (and have only been marginally happy with what they got me, but usually I was in a time pinch). I think your best bet is probably to do some searches on your own, as I'm not sure of how many leasing agents would cater to what you are looking for (it is a bit specific).

You'll probably have more luck in some of the further out neighborhoods that leasing agents such as 'apartment people' don't generally steer people toward (e.g. Jefferson Park, Old Irving Park, on the north side and similar areas on the southwest side), more than likely you'll have to pay extra for parking.

Another thing you'll have to consider is with dogs, more than likely you'll not find yourself with a yard of your own if you live in the city proper (although you may get lucky, but even if you do, it will be a postage stamp lawn as standard city lots are 25x125), so try and move near a dog park, so your dogs can run around (if you keep one of your cars, then you can drive to one if need be).

Last edited by j33; 04-09-2007 at 09:52 PM..

Old 04-09-2007, 09:43 PM

He's at 980 N. Michigan Ave.

I feel like I am being dropped onto another planet. A very strange one, too!

Old 04-09-2007, 09:54 PM

You know, I know I am splitting hairs, but that is not really "downtown". It's on North Michigan Avenue -- which is more shopping than commerce. He is right at the John Hancock building (it's the 2nd tallest building in Chicago).

The good news is that there are two really good bus routes that goes past his office -- 151 Sheridan, and 143 Stockton Express. You can totally live in East Lincoln Park or Lakeview area and get to the office pretty quick. Search on Craigslist for one of those two bus routes and you might see a few places.

The red line is somewhat close as well. It's not "close" (like, the bus route is literally outside his door, he'd walk to the corner and pick up the bus, maybe walk 1 block south, but no more than 2 blocks) like the bus route, but it's not a terrible commute either.

My recommendation would be to come to Chicago and take the 151 bus up to Lincoln Park (north of Fullerton) or Lakeview (north of Diversey) area and walk around. I can recommend stops to get off at if you would like. Walk the streets and see if you come across homes that have 'For Rent' signs. Bring a notepad, write the address and phone number down. Trust me, there are a number of homes that have 'For Rent' signs. If you don't see one street that has a 'For Rent' sign, then keep walking. Don't go west of Clark or Broadway, and I think you will really find what you are looking for.

My girlfriend found her place this way. She spent a day with Apartment People, grew frustrated at the crap they were throwing her way, and went walking. She came across a place similar to what you are describing (not 2 bedrooms and no laundry, but HUGE).

Questions? Post away.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:58 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times
chitownabs - I think that for a large apartment that might have a yard and easy parking, she might do better on the northwest side where it is less dense and less expensive. My cousin lived in Jefferson Park and had a great huge apartment with access to the back yard and a garage, that is difficult to come by in those near north neighborhoods.

Here is an example

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/apa/308770265.html (broken link)

It has a backyard and takes dogs.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:08 PM

Well, 980 N. Michigan avenue SEEMS downtown, to me!

Austin to Chicago is apples to oranges. I MUST have a closet in my bedroom! LOL. This goes without saying. Before I started looking, I thought Central Air went without saying but quickly learned that it is not always part of the package. Chicago seems like Antarctica to me, but I KNOW it eventually gets hot there.

He is in corporate housing right now at 77 W. Huron Street-nice area but 3000+ for a one-bedroom...not feasible w/the dogs...plus barely even a blade of grass for them to do their business on.

I feel like what I want is not going to happen unless I move to far-flung burbs.

Talk amongst yourselves-the feedback is helpful (I think!)

Old 04-09-2007, 10:10 PM

When are you next coming to Chicago? Seriously, take the 151 bus from your boyfriends office to Lincoln Park or Lakeview. Walk around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago