Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 10:22 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,849 times

Advertisements

Do it in Cincinatti.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:24 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Define 'broke'. I work with a lot of college kids who have a really skewed idea of what that term means.

Interestingly enough, back when I was in college, I worked a full-time crap job at a coffee shop, but knew how to live enough within my means (but then again, this was before the computers and cell phones, and the costs that come with them) that I was able to support myself just fine on said crappy job (and still go out on the weekends and drink a few beers).

You have to make sacrifices though. My roommate and I lived in a one bedroom apartment in a neighborhood that wasn't trendy (I lived in the dining room because I lost the coin toss), didn't have cable, and we shopped at aldi and cooked at home most nights. But neither one of us ever had to resort to begging, and supported ourselves quite well with our crappy barely above minimum wage jobs.
You are a real Chicagoan. It does not matter if you grew up in the burbs. You have my respect.

Your story is true.

We should have a beer sometime.

We need to do a real meet-up again. It has been almost a year!

Old 06-03-2009, 10:41 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
I moved to Chicago with six bucks in my checking account and a mountain of student loan debt. To pay the rent I worked the night shift in a warehouse with ex-cons for a while, then did some crappy temp work, and eventually got a job in my field after being very persistent. I have no respect for some selfish moron who thinks he deserves other peoples' money. And preying on peoples' sense of charity is really despicable. What a loser.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:57 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
^ ^

Old 06-04-2009, 12:57 AM

6 posts, read 10,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I moved to Chicago with six bucks in my checking account and a mountain of student loan debt. To pay the rent I worked the night shift in a warehouse with ex-cons for a while, then did some crappy temp work, and eventually got a job in my field after being very persistent. I have no respect for some selfish moron who thinks he deserves other peoples' money. And preying on peoples' sense of charity is really despicable. What a loser.

LoL! I know it is despicable which is what makes it fun. If I make $300 I'm going to come and brag.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:37 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker88 View Post
LoL! I know it is despicable which is what makes it fun. If I make $300 I'm going to come and brag.
People are most generous to people with disabilities.
Have someone run over your legs a few times with a truck. If you have to have a foot amputated because of the mangled flesh and shattered bone, even better!

Then post yourself outside a busy L stop with a sign saying Iraqi war vet, lost foot to land mine, fighting for YOUR freedom.

You will clean up, no doubt!

Old 06-04-2009, 06:47 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
Congrats on you brother. Not everyone is the same as you. Tuition payments are no joke nowadays. It is my fault for going to a university instead of community college but I am already 2.5 years into my degree and can't turn back now, it would be pointless. $13,000 a year in tuition, plus a couple grand in miscallaneous fees.

The plan is to lie, outright. Say I'm raising money for charity, for the Chicago Marathon or something. I am running the marathon, I am an avid runner, but I'm pocketing the money.

Yeah, pretty dishonorable. Don't give a flying ****.
"The plan is to lie, outright. Say I'm raising money for charity, for the Chicago Marathon or something. I am running the marathon, I am an avid runner, but I'm pocketing the money."

I was on your side until you said that!!!!!

Old 06-04-2009, 07:37 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times
Quote:
And now I'm convinced you are either a troll or the poster child for narcissistic disorder.

Hey guys, if you ever come across some kid wasting away looking at his reflection in the Chicago river with a sign asking for money for his 'charity' we'll know who we are dealing with.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:49 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
And now I'm convinced you are .. a troll or ....

I thought that was obvious from the beginning

Old 06-04-2009, 07:50 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
are you one of the turkey Trustafarians I see every summer by the Art Institute who tell me they need $20 to get on a train to go back home to Minnesota (or wherever, the location changes)?

I hope your story will be better than that - at least make something up that offers some entertainment value if you're essentially just going to be pretending to be dirt poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago