Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite Chicagoland Airport?
O'Hare International 43 49.43%
Midway International 40 45.98%
Gary International 4 4.60%
Mitchell International 6 6.90%
Rockford International 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 05:54 AM

1,080 posts, read 837,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve&Adam View Post
I agree. The popular Potbelly sandwich place is gone.
Oh wow. I did NOT know that! That seems weird because there was always a line there. I guess it has been nearly a year since I have been to Midway now that I think about it. (I don't fly domestically as often anymore, so I most often have to go to O'Hare.) If it has changed for the worse in that amount of time, that's sad! Please at least tell me Manny's still there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Most of the Chicago options are super heavy
That's kind of what Chicago is known for! Haha. It's a fair representation, IMO. I guess you could get a salad at McDonalds?

Old 04-04-2018, 06:21 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
That's kind of what Chicago is known for! Haha. It's a fair representation, IMO. I guess you could get a salad at McDonalds?
lol touché but there’s not even a McDs anymore...

Old 04-04-2018, 06:25 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
People drive to General Mitchell from Chicago? To pay more for a flight?

Old 04-04-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
People drive to General Mitchell from Chicago? To pay more for a flight?
Apparently they even take $200 taxi rides there in order to pay more for a flight in some cases, according to this thread. haha.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:30 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,182,136 times
Quote:
Yeah, there are a million DD expresses now, and I REALLY miss the P'belly's, because it was the easiest place to grab Intelligentsia! Why would they replace it with, of all things, a Home Run Inn?? I really wish Metropolis would open a stand-alone location in Midway.

There are also all these kiosks with grab-and-go options, but they're mostly boring white bread sandwiches, and there's basically no variation.

I, too, am surprised about McD's, especially given that Southwest caters typically to budget flyers. McD's was surprisingly the easiest place to get oatmeal in the morning for breakfast, and their oatmeal is typically decent and healthy.

Potbelly's is definitely gone. Most of the Chicago options are super heavy and, in my opinion, not what I want to eat before getting on a plane.

I feel the revamp of the food options at Midway was a swing and a great, big miss.
I think that Potbelly's only carried Intelligentsia for a brief period. I know for several years they were carrying Starbuck's. It's unfortunate Potbelly's is gone though because it was a much better option than McDonald's, which also now appears to be gone.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:16 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,100,078 times
I personally like Midway for flying out of as well as picking people up or dropping them off. Midway is easier to get to, less crowded, they have that nice cellphone lot down the street where you can park and wait without having to go into a garage, its also very easy to just continue to circle the airport if need be.

Ohare has always been a bit more confusing and a pain with that whole river road frontage road deal, much harder to circle, have to pay to park and wait, sometimes can't get cell coverage in the garage below all that concrete.

I had one experience where I missed a flight at Ohare went to the wrong terminal and then had to go do that whole loop around to terminal 5, my fault obviously but I just feel like Midway is so much more simple.

Also for Ohare being such a large airport, a hub, etc, etc, etc they have pretty crappy food selection and shop selection. I know Midway is kind of limited they have like a McDonalds and not much else but Ohare is not much better for being a large airport.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:36 AM

128 posts, read 97,897 times
Quote:
I, too, am surprised about McD's, especially given that Southwest caters typically to budget flyers. McD's was surprisingly the easiest place to get oatmeal in the morning for breakfast, and their oatmeal is typically decent and healthy.
Something that was always strange about the Midway McDonald's... They opened at 5AM, and if you had an early flight (5:30), you probably couldn't get anything at McD's since your plane started boarding at 5! The security lines open at 4, so I always thought McD's should open then too, or maybe shortly thereafter. A moot point now I suppose.

I just flew out of MDW a couple weeks ago and I meant to check what was in the McD's space in the B concourse. Then of course the security lines were longer than I anticipated and I didn't have much time to wander (and wonder of wonders, I flew out of B-3 or some such close-in gate, a first for me!). So I still don't know what is there now.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:18 PM

410 posts, read 634,133 times
It used to be Midway for me but O’Hare is my airport of choice ever since I started flying international at least once every year.

O’Hare is also the only airport in Chicago that has Virgin and WOW air. With that being said Midway is simple and easy to navigate and Southwest is a decent airline. If they took away all the McDonalds lying around like somebody else said I would be pissed though. I use flying as an excuse to chow on some nuggets made of faux chicken and pink slime burgers. Guilty pleasures indeed.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japster28 View Post
It used to be Midway for me but O’Hare is my airport of choice ever since I started flying international at least once every year.
I'm in the same boat (probably 2/3 to 3/4 of my flights to/from Chicago are international), but we can't honestly refer to it as a "choice," can we? If you want to flight internationally from Chicago, unless you're going to some Mexican or Caribbean tourist spot on Southwest, you have to use O'Hare. If I could fly directly to major European or Asian cities from Midway I would gladly take it over O'Hare any day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago