Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 01:40 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,032,275 times

Advertisements

Alright, I admit my bias. My long time nemesis is from Philly. If it wasn't for him, I'd probably be more in favor of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 01:41 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
^^You have a nemesis? Sounds exciting. I merely have "people I don't like".

Old 06-05-2009, 01:51 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,444,736 times
Did he overthrow your plot to blow up Metropolis?

Old 06-05-2009, 03:33 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
uhm no....you mean because I'm from Chicago I should be just glad, and settle for anything the city throws at me including skyrocketing taxes? Sure there's worse places to live so....

You asked what his point was then vehemently disagreed with it. Which shows he made his point clear.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:47 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,513,318 times

Old 06-05-2009, 05:37 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,393,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You asked what his point was then vehemently disagreed with it. Which shows he made his point clear.
How about responding to the topic and give your opinion, and let that person speak for themself. The title of the thread had nothing to do with the thread.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
How about responding to the topic and give your opinion, and let that person speak for themself. The title of the thread had nothing to do with the thread.

My opinion? I don't know enough about taxes in Philly and Delaware to respond to that.

But having just moved back to Chicago from a lower COL place I'll take Chicago and the costs. I knew the story when I came back.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:35 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I guess I'm oblivious. I don't have kids and grew up elsewhere, so while I follow CPS activities (had teacher as roommate for 5 years), it doesn't really get into my personal life except for the product it produces on the west/south sides.

I don't have a car luckly, so I just sat back with a bag of popcorn and watch the traffic, parking meter rates, city stickers, and high gas prices.

CTA I'm actually fine with paying $84 or whatever for a monthly pass. I use it 2-4 times a day.

I guess I should pay more attention to sales taxes, but honestly I don't at all. I don't make large purchases though, but I don't think I'd really care that much. I'm normally out of state anyway visiting home when I get something big, and their taxes are like 5%.

Sometimes I get all doom and gloom additude when I come on here and think about the taxes, corruption, meter issues, crime rate, etc. Then I walk around though and realize I'm actually pretty lucky that a lot of it doesn't really hit me in "my" Chicago. Do others find that as well? Maybe I should just start paying more attention. I'm perfectly happy with my life here, I always feel like I'm suppose to be more "upset".
The problem is, the people these kinds of things do affect and bother are the ones who are really needed to stabilize the city. It is increasingly difficult for middle-class families to make it in this town in large part because of all the things you mention. So they tuck tail and head for the suburbs -- all the while enduring scorn and derision from folks in your demographic set (though not from you specifically) who have no sense of how these things impact them and drive their decisions about whether to stay or flee. These are the things that make Chicago a city of deep poverty, young singles/DINK/empty-nesters, and gradually shrinking middle ground between the two.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The problem is, the people these kinds of things do affect and bother are the ones who are really needed to stabilize the city. ............... These are the things that make Chicago a city of deep poverty, young singles/DINK/empty-nesters, and increasingly shrinking middle ground between the two.

Well said, well said indeed.

I think the city needs to get the schools in hand first. The school situation drives people away just when they're hittting their stride.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:43 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Well you mentioned Philly...lol. That's like the worst city in America for everything. Just google "Ugliest City in the World" and you'll get Philadelphia. An average looking person in Chicago would be a 9 or a 10 in philly. They have the country's ugliest folks according to websites like these:

Gawker - Is Philadelphia Really The Ugliest? - how hard could it be?

Next time, you should mention San Diego or Miami or some other town other than Philadelphia.
Damn that is harsh. I went to Chicago yesterday, and their were some fine women in the park. So yeah Chicago has some good looking people.

I love Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago