Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 11:48 PM

9 posts, read 33,327 times

Advertisements

I just learned that Chicago has no rent control laws. Is there anyway when you're looking for a new apartment to have a better chance of picking one where the rent won't get jacked up as soon as your first lease is over? Is this more/less common in certain areas? Other than asking some other tenants how its increased in recent years I don't have any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 11:28 AM

425 posts, read 1,436,690 times
You can pretty much assume that your rent will go up when you renew a lease. In my history as a landlord, there have been very few times where I didn't raise rent. Generally a 5% hike or so.

Of course, in this economy that may not be the case. Renters certainly have the leverage right now when it comes to negotiating rent.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:15 PM

92 posts, read 364,723 times
Be careful with apartment buildings: After our first year in a building in Streeterville, they wanted to raise the rent by well over 10%; if we were willing to sign a two year extension, they would only require a 5% increase for the second year of the extension. We were out of there - even though we didn't want to move again so soon.
We had more luck with private landlords. They generally want to avoid turnover, and we were able to keep the rents in line with market rents by showing ads for other places in the building. Even got a major decrease one year...

Old 03-18-2009, 01:00 PM

328 posts, read 1,396,723 times
Default My rent is not going up - Lakeview

I thought I would add my two cents:

My old apartment, where the lease expired in February of 2009, wanted to raise my rent by 40 dollars.

In my current apartment, where I took over someone's lease until June 30, 2009, I received a letter in the mail yesterday with my renewal notice that said that "due to the current economic conditions, rent would not be increasing this year." Hopefully other apartment management companies in the city will feel the same way!

Old 03-18-2009, 01:12 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
^^I haven't yet heard on mine, but I am hoping it doesn't raise at all.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:47 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
You're less likely to get cyclical rent increases if you rent from a mom-and-pop landlord who owns a two-flat or two, for the following reasons: 1) it's more likely to be a supplemental source of income rather than a primary source; 2) chances are they bought the place years ago back when you couldn't give away property in this town, so even if they're still paying on it, their mortgage payment is a pittance compared to what the property is worth today. They don't have to squeeze as much out of you as possible, unlike the management companies that snatched up buildings during the housing bubble and have big mortgage payments to show for it.

The downside to this approach is that there aren't many mom-and-pop buildings left in the "hot" neighborhoods. They sold out while the selling was good, or they just plain couldn't afford the taxes any more. You're more likely to find them in neighborhoods on the fringes of the "good parts" of town, such as up in upper the northwest side.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:59 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallsauce View Post
Is there anyway when you're looking for a new apartment to have a better chance of picking one where the rent won't get jacked up as soon as your first lease is over?
Mind reading? A magical crystal ball?

Old 03-19-2009, 09:21 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Mind reading? A magical crystal ball?
Diane Warwick.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:25 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You're less likely to get cyclical rent increases if you rent from a mom-and-pop landlord who owns a two-flat or two, for the following reasons: 1) it's more likely to be a supplemental source of income rather than a primary source; 2) chances are they bought the place years ago back when you couldn't give away property in this town, so even if they're still paying on it, their mortgage payment is a pittance compared to what the property is worth today. They don't have to squeeze as much out of you as possible, unlike the management companies that snatched up buildings during the housing bubble and have big mortgage payments to show for it.

The downside to this approach is that there aren't many mom-and-pop buildings left in the "hot" neighborhoods. They sold out while the selling was good, or they just plain couldn't afford the taxes any more. You're more likely to find them in neighborhoods on the fringes of the "good parts" of town, such as up in upper the northwest side.
I'd say the bulk of the two and three flats I've ever looked at or that my friends live in in Ravenswood/Lincoln Square/Roscoe Village, and even the bulk of Lakeview are still family-owned, even if they use leasing companies to fill them. Buying a two-flat with a garden apartment in these areas, and then renting the units out just isn't that strong a money-making opportunity. After you've recovered mortgage and paid taxes, and paid any employees, you'd be lucky to scrape any profit at all.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I'd say the bulk of the two and three flats I've ever looked at or that my friends live in in Ravenswood/Lincoln Square/Roscoe Village, and even the bulk of Lakeview are still family-owned, even if they use leasing companies to fill them. Buying a two-flat with a garden apartment in these areas, and then renting the units out just isn't that strong a money-making opportunity. After you've recovered mortgage and paid taxes, and paid any employees, you'd be lucky to scrape any profit at all.
Maybe so, but if you buy a bunch of 'em, then they start to cash-flow. Not to mention a big portion of real estate investment is betting on appreciation, in which case the tenants are mostly there to pay the operating costs.

It has been my experience and basic research that even the two- and three-flats in Lakeview and Lincoln Park (well, mostly Lakeview, I only ever looked at one apartment in LP) were acquired specifically for investment purposes rather than simply being leftover property handed down from the previous generation, even if the owners aren't major management companies. A lot of them are owned by bit players who own a handful of properties here and there, but at any rate a whole bunch of them have turned over within the last 10 years meaning they have big mortgage payments. Rental "bargains" in these neighborhoods are few and far between any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago