Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 01:13 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
A friend of mine was complaining that SUV's were parking in the Hybrid-only spots. When he asked the Target employees if he could park there, they told him no. When he asked what would happen to the SUV owners, the employees were at a loss. He later asked one of the securiy officers in the parking lot what the deal was - they told him that Hybrid-only parking spots would not be enforced until there were outlets for the hybrid car spots.

Has anyone else heard anything about this issue?
"Hybrid-only spots?" Puh-leeeze.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:54 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
This particular parking lot, there is spots specifically marked hybrid vehicles only.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
This particular parking lot, there is spots specifically marked hybrid vehicles only.
Yeah, I got that part. Hence my response.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:09 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,058 times
Quote:
I think the whole development is supposed to be a green project. I guess the roof on the Jewel is a garden/green rooftop as well.

Seriously though, at the Target there are like, 20 prime parking spaces reserved for hybrids only. Maybe they should convert them to "expectant mother parking" while the hybrid population catches up to the parking lot.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:22 AM

Fair enough on legitimate "green" initiatives (though slapping the "green" or "sustainable" label on everything has turned me a little cynical) such as LEED construction. But I have a hard time with symbolic preening that accomplishes nothing practical.

"So you drive a 1980s Honda CRX HF that gets 50mpg? Not interested."

"You arrived in a 40mpg Volkswagen diesel? Too bad, park over there."

"So you drove a Smart, you consumed 4 tablespoons of gas eo get here, and you could fit two of 'em in a hybrid-only spot? Pshaw."

"Aw, look at you sportin' that 20mpg Escalade hybrid... WELCOME! Park right up front here..."

Old 12-16-2009, 12:21 PM

3 posts, read 4,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Because there is not an obvious market nearby for those type of services. The vicinity strikes me as rather poor. Poorer people tend not to join L.A. Fitness and prefer Walmart (which is relatively close) to Target. Beverly is close but people in Beverly don't seem to like to shop in West Pullman. Also, part of my data is empirical -- it is extremely empty at almost any time of the day.
I totally disagree. I live in Maple Park which is extremely close to the shopping center and am a frequent customer to the Target....My area isnt poor and I'm aware of several people within my community who work out at LA Fitness and prefers Target over Walmart. It was just unfortunate those businesses where not in the neighborhoods in which we live which forced us to shop in other areas. I appreciate Leandro for creating jobs and generating money for the community. Everyone seems to be so doubtful and a little negative. Lets change our outlook and make this shopping area a success. If we have a complaint do something about it. People who throw trash out the window get on my nerves too. But, you cant spend your time complaining about it. Instead, report to the managers about it. We too have to take part and make an effort to keep this area safe and clean.
I'm particularly excited about the L.A. Fitness. I hope that it is coming soon. I go to Bally's in Matteson which is close to where I work and if it comes I'm considering switching my membership.

Last edited by sca123; 12-16-2009 at 12:45 PM..

Old 12-16-2009, 01:39 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,075,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sca123 View Post
I totally disagree. I live in Maple Park which is extremely close to the shopping center and am a frequent customer to the Target....My area isnt poor and I'm aware of several people within my community who work out at LA Fitness and prefers Target over Walmart. It was just unfortunate those businesses where not in the neighborhoods in which we live which forced us to shop in other areas. I appreciate Leandro for creating jobs and generating money for the community. Everyone seems to be so doubtful and a little negative. Lets change our outlook and make this shopping area a success. If we have a complaint do something about it. People who throw trash out the window get on my nerves too. But, you cant spend your time complaining about it. Instead, report to the managers about it. We too have to take part and make an effort to keep this area safe and clean.
I'm particularly excited about the L.A. Fitness. I hope that it is coming soon. I go to Bally's in Matteson which is close to where I work and if it comes I'm considering switching my membership.
Where is maple park? If I google it a city near Dekalb pops up.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:17 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
Quote:
Fair enough on legitimate "green" initiatives (though slapping the "green" or "sustainable" label on everything has turned me a little cynical) such as LEED construction. But I have a hard time with symbolic preening that accomplishes nothing practical.

"So you drive a 1980s Honda CRX HF that gets 50mpg? Not interested."

"You arrived in a 40mpg Volkswagen diesel? Too bad, park over there."

"So you drove a Smart, you consumed 4 tablespoons of gas eo get here, and you could fit two of 'em in a hybrid-only spot? Pshaw."

"Aw, look at you sportin' that 20mpg Escalade hybrid... WELCOME! Park right up front here..."
The GM truck hybrids were a massive waste of government resources, IMHO. Not only that, this parking getup will only run the risk of more "Prius Envy." That's where red blooded, gas guzzlin' Americans do harm to one's Prius or other small hybrid in retaliation for real or imagined smugness on the part of hybrid owners.

Do these spaces come with signs that say "Key Me?"

Old 12-16-2009, 03:49 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Under the U.S. Green Building Council's LEED rating system, you can get a point for designating specific parking spots for "Low Emitting" or "Fuel Efficient" vehicles. Many people assume this means hybrid-only, but a regular old non-hybrid Honda Civic qualifies. Usually you do not see this designation in public parking lots, however, because it is nearly impossible to enforce under those circumstances. I've so far only seen it at large office complexes, and you actually have to apply for a permit for the space for your approved vehicle.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:09 AM

313 posts, read 406,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Where is maple park? If I google it a city near Dekalb pops up.
Maple Park is a village that is 1.5 hours away from this shopping center. The poster didnt know shat he/she was talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago